Real vs. Fake News

Hi Everyone,

With the recent events of January 6th fresh in our minds, the subject of fake news is once again in the headlines. As stories of questionable authenticity flood our information feeds, it is vital for everyone to determine which news is authoritative and which is bogus.

How can we tell the difference?  The guide below from the Pace University Library could serve as a starting point in the discussion:

LINCS also had an interesting discussion on this topic in the wake of the 2016 election.

• What are you doing to help your students learn the difference between real and fake news?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing Community

Comments

Hi Steve, Thanks for reopening this hot topic. Having a shared understanding of truth is essential for a thriving democracy. The News Literacy Project offers resources for teachers who want to take up the issue of misinformation and disinformation. There's a wealth of materials on this site, including slide shows that can be used for instruction.

One thing you can find on the site is a quiz related to understanding and avoiding conspiracy theories. I would say the text in this quiz is quite advanced, so teachers would need to check it out before deciding if it's appropropriate for learners.

Checkology is a section of the News Literacy Project that features lessons. Here's a description from the site: 

"Checkology’s lessons and other resources show you how to navigate today’s challenging information landscape. You will learn how to identify credible information, seek out reliable sources, and apply critical thinking skills to separate fact-based content from falsehoods.

Checkology gives you the habits of mind and tools to evaluate and interpret information. And you gain an understanding of the importance of the watchdog role of the press."

I plan to draw from this site this spring when we take up the issue of how to determine the credibility of information.

It would be great to hear from teachers about how they are approaching this sensitive issue in the classroom.

Take care, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP

Thanks for these great resources Susan!

Pending OCTAE approval, we are looking at holding a live event on information literacy on February 24th.  I will keep the community posted as I learn more.

I echo your thought Susan, "It would be great to hear from teachers about how they are approaching this sensitive issue in the classroom."

Thanks for your input,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing Community