Please Register for “Believe It or Not! Information Literacy and Adult Learners” with John Trerotola on February 24 at 3 PM ET

Hi Everyone,

Please join the LINCS Reading and Writing and Teaching and Learning communities for a live event about information literacy on Wednesday, February 24th at 3 PM Eastern.  Click HERE to register for this event entitled, "Believe It or Not!  Information Literacy and Adult Learners."

Thomas Jefferson once said, "Information is the currency of democracy." Yet not all information is not created equal. We have been bombarded by increasing amounts of fake news which is defined as, "false or misleading content presented as news and communicated in formats spanning spoken, written, printed, electronic, and digital communication” (Higdon, 2020). Recent studies have shown that only one in four adults could confidently distinguish real from fake news. Next week, we will have a discussion with adult education practitioner and information literacy expert John Trerotola who will have us develop strategies for teaching our students about information literacy and share pertinent resources.  Please weigh in with your thoughts on these questions:

• How has fake news presented a problem for you and your students?
  • What strategies or resources do you use to teach your students information literacy?

See you at the live event next week,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator 

LINCS Reading and Writing Community 

Comments

Hi Everyone,

Just a friendly reminder that the "Believe It or Not! Information Literacy and Adult Learners" live event is tomorrow (Wednesday, February 24th) at 3 PM.  Register HERE.  

With all the information that flows 24/7 from social media, online news sites, and TV channels, knowing what news can be trusted is increasingly hard to know. Teaching information literacy to our students is critical. Join social studies content expert John Trerotola and the LINCS Reading and Writing and Teaching and Learning communities for a live discussion on teaching students' information literacy skills on Wednesday, February 24th at 3 PM Eastern. Participants will come away with actionable teaching strategies and resources for online and in person classroom use.

See you tomorrow,

Steve

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to all those who attended yesterday's live event on information literacy!  John Trerotola delivered an outstanding presentation on this important topic.  A pdf copy of his presentation is found here.

A few of the sources John shared are:

For those who attended the event, please consider your teaching practice and reflect on the following questions.  What is something in the discussion that:

1. Reinforced something good that I already am doing?

2. Reminded me of something I used to do and will try again?

3. Gave me a new idea that I plan to try?

Thanks as always for your insights!

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

schmidtconsulting4@gmail.com 

Thank you, John, for all of the amazing resources you shared on information literacy! I think one of the attendees asked if any of the materials were available in other languages. My program does HSE prep in Spanish through a Dept. of Ed. grant--if you have knowledge of any resources in Spanish, that would be wonderful. I have already shared your presentation with my instructor who teaches our English language section.

One attendee brought up the Tree Octopus website (https://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/). I actually attended the training in which Steve used that website. Steve, do you still have the lesson outline for that training? I remember it being impactful, and I would like to share that with my instructor, as well. 

Thank you both so much!!

Katie Covington

Hi Katie,

Thanks for remembering that PD from long ago!  The lesson went something like this:

I became emotional discussing the plight of the Tree Octopus and asked everyone if they would help me save this endangered species.  I went through the website showing the many features that made the tree octopus seem real: the pictures, the maps, the videos.  I concluded with, "Would you sign this petition to ban logging in the Pacific Northwest to save the tree octopus?"  

I introduced a website credibility rubric and we discussed why this website was bogus.  I then asked the class to review other websites both real and others that were bogus such as:

Google: purdue owl (real)

Google: dhmo.org (bogus - it's water!)

Google: cnn (real)

Google: aluminum foil deflector beanie (bogus)

Google: cbsnews (real) 

Google: feline reactions to bearded men (bogus)

The class could then report out on their findings.  

Katie, thanks so much for the work you do and the lives you have changed for the better in serving your students.  You make a difference!

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

schmidtconsulting4@gmail.com