Two-Day Discussion on Assessing the Four Components of Reading with Dr. John Strucker on April 13 and 14

Hi Everyone,

As a young instructor, I struggled to help my students improve their reading skills. While our program had plenty of reading materials, my students wrestled unsuccessfully with these texts, unable to make meaning from them. Others thought good reading was calling out the words correctly, but when I asked them to explain what they read, they could not tell me. 

Next Tuesday and Wednesday (April 13 and 14) the Reading and Writing Community is privileged to have literacy expert Dr. John Strucker lead a discussion on "Assessing the Four Components of Reading." On April 13, we will discuss silent reading tests. We are required to give these assessments when students enter our programs, but what do they really tell us about our students' strengths and weaknesses in reading? On April 14, we will look at the Adult Reading Components Study. One big finding from the ARCS study was that students who have the same scores on a silent reading assessment can have vastly different instructional needs in the classroom. 

How can you participate in this discussion? You can ask questions or make comments throughout the discussion. Bring your challenges for the community to help solve! Read the posts and come away with information that can help your instructional practice.

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing CoP 

Comments

Thanks, Steve!

I'm looking forward to our discussion beginning Tuesday April 14.  I hope community members will jump in with lots of questions and comments about diagnostic assessment and teaching. 

Until then,

John Strucker

Hi Everyone,

Just a friendly reminder that the two-day discussion with Dr. John Strucker begins tomorrow, April 13th. Here are some questions we plan to discuss:

Tuesday, April 13 Silent Reading Tests 

What do the silent reading tests we give our students as they enter our programs tell us and not tell us?

How can two students with identical scores on a silent reading test have vastly different instructional needs?

Wednesday, April 14 The ARCS Study and Student Reading Profiles

How can we apply the findings of the ARCS study in our classrooms?

Why are there so many uneven reading profiles in our Adult Basic Education (ABE) and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students?

Please make comments and feel free to ask Dr. Strucker questions!

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing CoP

schmidtconsulting4@gmail.com