Underserved Populations and Health Literacy Question

We know disparities exist for underserved populations. Those without a high school diploma or its equivalent and/or functioning at low levels of literacy are frequently at greater risk for poverty, under-or un-employment, incarceration, and poor health.

As we continue our refrain on access, equity, and support for underserved populations, LINCS PD Community will be hosting its live event in April focusing on Native American service strategies and supports.

LINCS Community Event 4/21/2021 Live

Live Session: Equity and Support for Native American Communities (Arizona’s State Director) LIVE

Date/Time: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. EST (live session)

Communities: PD Community of Practice

How can you participate? Register to attend this event here: https://mahernet.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0lceitqTMoHNW3XYAc9z-BaKM95zli0-tA

As with many underserved populations, “The American Indian and Alaska Native people have long experienced lower health status when compared with other Americans. Lower life expectancy and the disproportionate disease burden exist perhaps because of inadequate education, disproportionate poverty, discrimination in the delivery of health services, and cultural differences. These are the broad quality of life issues rooted in economic adversity and poor social conditions.”

Source: https://www.ihs.gov/

How do you embed health literacy in your standards-based academic instruction?

What other policies, professional learning, strategies, etc. have you deployed to address health literacy with any of your underserved sub/populations?

Comments

I want to say "Thank You!" to the Arizona adult education team with the state director, Sheryl Hart, for the April 21st presentation on ways that Arizona's local adult education programs work with Native American communities. It opened my mind and heart to know and respect the adult education leaders in those communities. It helped me see the importance of becoming more aware of Native American communities in my own surroundings. Silence does not mean absence. They are truly present today in our communities and their life-affirming, centuries-old cultures deserve to be respected and valued in the design of adult education programs that would be based on their views of the world. Adult education could become a useful tool to them to achieve their goals by listening to them and following their lead in What they want with regards to educational services, Why, and How.