Intrusive Advising Leading to Increased Student Retention

Colleagues, 

I invite you to review the article on Intrusive Advising This form of advising is based on data and staff reaching out to students, rather than waiting for students to reach out to staff. 

This perspective is said to increase learner retention and is grounded in data analytics, early intervention, support beyond academics, careful and culturally competent communication, and leadership / institutional buy-in. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on your institution's approach to advising students and how these approaches can lead to increased retention and outcomes. I'd also love to hear from programs who use intrusive advising. 

Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey

@Kathy_Tracey

Comments

Thanks for sharing this piece, Kathy! As a researcher, I enjoyed reading it and learning what our colleagues are doing to retain adult learners. Flipping the approach to advising proactively isn't only about saving funding - it is more about encouraging adult learners to stick with education and to complete the learning goals they have when they enter a program. The past research I have done with adults who did not stay in adult education indicates that they need somebody to reach out - and many times to intervene - in a positive and supportive way. They didn't see it as "intrusive" in a "big brother" sense, rather as refreshing to know that somebody in their program cared about them and wanted them to succeed. I'd like to hear how adult education programs are approaching counseling proactively - and how their adult learners respond. Looking forward to the discussion,

Margaret

Margaret and all,

Maybe instead of intrusive advising, we should call it proactive advising.

What I like about this approach is that we are not waiting for the student to disclose a barrier. Often, I wonder if students don't disclose a problem because they may be unaware that we can offer potential solutions.

I'd love to hear what others think.

Kathy

I definitely like the term proactive advising and I think it aligns well to a human-centered approach, where you get to know the person, their needs, wants, and goals and then proactively reach out to them at different times to offer guidance and support. I also think during your first meeting with a learner, it may be helpful to use the MI (motivational interviewing) technique of saying something like, "Many of my learners appreciate that I check in with them a few times a month, would you be okay with me touching base regularly to share things I think you might find helpful and may support your efforts to [insert goal here]?" This can hopefully lead them to answering the phone when you call because they feel you are contacting them to support their needs and not "reprimand" or "tell them what to do".