Online Course: Learning to Achieve Legal Issues, Self-Disclosure, and Confidentiality for Adults with Learning Disabilities

The Learning to Achieve Legal Issues, Self-Disclosure, and Confidentiality for Adults with Learning Disabilities course asks users to consider:

1. How might you improve or add to your intake process to better support self-disclosure by individuals with learning disabilities?
  2. How might you or your organization improve or add to what they currently do to support individuals with suspected learning disabilities to develop the skill of self-disclosure?
  3. How are the confidentiality procedures of your organization carried out? How might you improve, add to, or change them?

Comments

Learning disabilities and those inflicted by them need to possible have a life coach who has completed his or her goals while having a learning disability. It is a way to provide a possible source of motivation.

We as instructors can ensure adult students privacy by making sure no confidentiality is breeched. It is also important to keep student data bot private and confidential by keeping security practices that prevents anyone from gathering the information.

I think that the suggestions for questions to ask were good.  Most of my students will tell me of difficulties they have had in the past.  I have had one say that they had a documented learning disability while in school.  She did not want to submit it because it was several years ago and because she felt she could do the work required without official accomodations.  I worked with her and she did well.

1. A form is given to all clients for voluntary disclosure opportunities. 

2. It would be helpful if we had a support system, such as counselors, that could assist and advocate for those in need. 

3. Confidentiality is stressed already and strictly followed. 

I think our intake forms should include a list of the student's favorite subjects, or things in which they excel.  We would not be able to discern from the information if a student definitely has a LD, but we might prepare for extra/modified instruction based on their answers.

Today as I visited with a student about the part of the form where they are asked if they have a Learning Disability to disclose. I found myself not liking the word disability. It seems like a word that immediately throws up a wall/barrier. It seems to carry a negative connotation with it and that might just be why students don't want to disclose that information. If we cannot find another word, it seems mandatory for us as career coaches, teachers etc... to explain that this is nothing to be ashamed of, rather than leave them to just fill out the form and skip over that part. It is imperative that all incoming students are told about the benefits of this question. HUGE benefits!! It's not a sign of weakness on our part as teachers to speak of areas in our lives where we have recognized that we function best. I told my student that I often times need a quiet place to read. However, I have a son who can sit in the most distracting and loudest places to read, yet just get carried away with his book. I cannot do that. Is that learning disability? I'd say I just know that I need a quiet place with the least amount of distraction (if at all possible) to read.

I think one of the keys to getting students to self disclose and to feel okay about doing it is to talk more about it as if it was just normal. We measure people against the "norm" group. Is that really fair? What is normal? To me, normal is the very fact that we are all different with different learning styles and ways of doing things. It is normal and okay that we don't all learn in the same way and at the same speed. Speak of differences more positively rather than in negative tones. It is a good thing that we are not all weak in the same areas. If we were where would our help come from? 

I have been trained on FERPA and I am careful regarding students who may have learning difficulties.  Actually, I just treat them like anyone else, but notice when I might need to change my pace of instruction or the modality I am using to teach a concept.

I learned a lot about the self-disclosure process that I did know before.  Some were common sense, others clarified better ways to approach any individual with Learning Disabilities.    I have never had an adult student approach me about a Learning Disability. I have years of experience teaching at all levels and can recognize easily when a student is having a difficult time with their learning and even with modifications, continues to struggle. I would look into past years and grades, permission to access student records, look for any indication that may have noted prior.  Many times the student is struggling and no one has recognized it or has done anything to help the student.  Cooperation is needed and often, for whatever reason, the student does not get the help they need.  Those same students would choose not to self-disclose as an adult because they themselves have no idea they have a learning disability. Suggestions for approaching an adult are helpful not just for self-disclosure but to help the student with something they are not even aware of.

The current ESL Intake process includes standard questions that include seeking information on any identifiable disability.  To ask additional questions as provided in the reading, would be of benefit to the staff in assessing a possible need for accommodations.  

To continue effective in class strategies to improve communication skills and self confidence, could be improved by making greater effort to note these specific strategies in the lesson planning and to include discussing strengths, weaknesses, and goals in student to student within the ESL conversations.

In past programs, I have had the opportunity to confidentially check in with students about learning differences during intake. Now, my class has rolling admission, and I often don't get the chance to get to know my students' strengths and needs as soon as I would like. When we discuss official tests, I let students know that if they have a past IEP or Doctor's note, they could likely get extended time for their tests. 

1. How might you improve or add to your intake process to better support self-disclosure by individuals with learning disabilities?

Keeping the intake forms and files locked in file cabinets and not allowing information to be laid in the open will benefit the campus and the students information.
  2. How might you or your organization improve or add to what they currently do to support individuals with suspected learning disabilities to develop the skill of self-disclosure?

Allowing the students to freely disclose and tell us what their needs may be as well as offering accommodations to assist.
  3. How are the confidentiality procedures of your organization carried out? How might you improve, add to, or change them?

All of our documents for student intake are securely filed and are handled only by authorized faculty and staff. we can improve by keeping and better handle on having files placed on secure locations in the program.

Confidentiality will not be breeched by having a private place to help students fill out their intake forms. Most students that were in special services/sped know that they had extra help.  I think by visiting with the student while filling out the intake papers, the instructor can get a pretty good feeling as to the status of the student.  The more personal one-on-one that I take with the student the more I can learn about the student and adjust their curriculum to fit his/her needs.  The student will share more with the instructor when they are in a private place where other students cannot hear what is being said.

I think our program does pretty well in this but maybe incorporating regular chances for the employees in our center to demonstrate that they understand the various breaches that could easily occur without the proper training and system.

We have improved our intake process by speaking with each individual student one on one, going through the entire application process, have them meet with the Program Director, and Career Coach. 

We can improve out processes by adding a Self-Disclosure document that will alert staff as to whether a student may have a learning disability or not.

All student files and information is kept in a locked and sure location that is only accessible to our staff. We can improve our intake process by gathering information via phone, inputting the data into a secure database where an electronic file is created.

Thank you Windy for the following question, I would like to add this to our intake. 

"There is just one question we ask programs to add to their registration forms which is:  "Have you ever been diagnosed with a condition that could impact learning? (i.e. mental health, ADHD, developmental disability, learning disability, brain injury, vision or hearing loss)".  

It's evident that we are aware of the confidentiality requirements as per law. Enforcing the use of them can get lost in the bustle of paper shuffling, filing, sharing, updating, appropriate application and use of information, etc. It's been my observation that an audit by a government agency brings out the regulator in each of us! Under that circumstance, we collectively and often individually perform a maintenance check to ensure diligence. Wouldn't it be smart to just do that every year at a scheduled time? 

I have primarily been an ABE teacher and have students who disclose they believe they have a learning disability but do not have their documentation or know/remember if they had any previously. I have found this challenging because over time I have learned that some students use this belief as a reason to keep themselves from committing to the work. Some students are in my class due to court mandates and don't really want to be there. I do try to make reasonable accommodations that are available to all students with or without documentation.

I find it difficult at times working with ABE and GED students who suspect they may have an LD but do not have documentation or are unsure if they have documentation because of confidentiality restrictions in obtaining that individual's records. It is not their faults, and I stress that greatly. However, I feel that sometimes the school systems have failed these students because they should be aware of their LD and what their documentation states, and the school systems are not making these individuals aware.

It is a law to maintain confidentiality of students' disabilities.  I am hopeful that adult students will disclose their disabilities and self-advocate so that accommodations can be given to them.  Success in adult education is the priority, and leveling the playing field for all students with disabilities to access accommodations is key.

One thing we do to facilitate self disclosure is visit each class at least once a semester to talk about the different services provided.  We cover things like GED testing fee support, tutoring, and ADAAA support.  We make sure to tell students that anything they bring to the ADAAA Coordinator is kept confidential.  This way the students know to whom they should speak and that their disclosure will remain private.

I think the key to supporting our students in self disclosure is building a strong rapport and trust with students so that they feel like they can disclose without any fear of judgment. Once they know and feel comfortable that sharing this information will be kept strictly confidential and will only be used to better their educational experience, should, hopefully promote more self disclosure by students coming into the program. 

Student files are kept in locked cabinets that only authorized personnel can access. Only teachers or other personnel working directly with those students, as well as administrators, have access to the records. 

The program is very sensitive to confidentiality from intake to completion.  Learners are given open opportunity to self-disclose one on one if they choose. If they do, files are kept locked with only trained staff with a relevant need for access able to review.

1. The student can disclose this information on their intake forms.  
    1. Our teachers do an excellent job of advocating for our students.  If a student has not self-disclosed and has not provided documentation, educators do their best automatically offer supports.
    1. Our office does a very good job of safeguarding student files.  Files are locked in a cabinet behind the desk of the program manager.

It is extremely important that we keep all student files confidential. We should make sure that the files are locked in the appropriate places. One of the things that I did not like when I was a special education teacher is discussing students in front of others and in the break room. I believe that it is not everybody's business and it is unethical to do this. Thanks

I was not aware that a learning disability statement could not be included in a child's folder with other information but had to be separate and in a different location that just a single folder for only that child/adult. 

I was not aware that we cannot ask a child/student if they have a learning disability. Instead we must get information by asking what they liked or didn't like or had a hard time doing. It is also interesting to think about how adults with learning disabilities may or may not let employers or teachers know about it. 

Everything is under a lock and key.  Also, we mark a special folder by a yellow insert that is only visible if you open the folder.  It is way too obvious to people if you have a specific color folder to identify special education.

It is very important to be aware of the legal ramifications connected with student disclosure and confidentiality. Students need to know that their information is being handled confidentially and their disclosures are protected. There are ways to discover students strengths and weaknesses without their information being compromised. 

It is very important to assist students in their understanding of their LD, so students will be able to comfortably disclose information. We speak with students individually and we are very careful to protect the confidentiality of our students and their information.

Confidentiality is very important. We already have locked files with limited access in our center. We could probably improve our intake form to include information to help individual self-disclose during the intake conversation.