Last Chance to Register for May 18 Decoding Workshop with Dr. Daphne Greenberg!

Hi Everyone!

Do your students struggle to decode words?  Imagine the brain power they use to make meaning of several words in a sentence. The more effort they use in decoding, the less there is available for making sense of vocabulary, reading fast enough to make meaning, and understanding an author's ideas. 

On May 13 and 18 from 2 to 4 PM ET, we will have the opportunity to participate in two live events with Dr. Daphne Greenberg and her CSAL colleagues Devi Rodgerson, Christine Dunagin Miller, and Inga Einarson .  They will demonstrate a number of decoding and spelling instructional strategies. You will learn different tools for teaching letter-sound relationships, including tricky sounds and vowel combinations, two different approaches to decomposing multisyllabic words, and an organizational framework that can help our adult learners read unfamiliar words in an independent, flexible, and efficient manner.

It's not too late to register for the event! Please register for both as they cover different material on build on each other:

Please register here for Session 1 on May 13 from 2 to 4 PM EDT.

Please register here for Session 2 on May 18 from 2 to 4 PM EDT. 

Please think about the following questions as we prepare for this discussion:

What techniques do you currently use to teach decoding skills to your students?

What decoding resources are you using?

What questions about decoding do you have for Dr. Greenberg and her team?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these questions!

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing Community

Comments

Hi Everyone,

The second free webinar on Decoding Instructional Strategies is on Tuesday May 18 from 2 to 4 PM EDT. Dr. Daphne Greenberg, Christine Miller, Inga Einarson, and Devi Rodgerson from the Center for the Study of Adult Literacy will demonstrate a number of decoding and spelling instructional strategies.

You will learn different tools for teaching letter-sound relationships, including tricky sounds and vowel combinations, two different approaches to decomposing multisyllabic words, and an organizational framework that can help our adult learners read unfamiliar words in an independent, flexible, and efficient manner.

Even if you missed Part 1, you can still register for, attend, and learn from Part 2! Please register HERE.

See you tomorrow at 2 PM EDT,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing Community

Hi Beth,

Unfortunately, due to organizational restrictions, the handouts are only available to those who attended the session. However, I encourage you and others to check out: http://csal.gsu.edu/ for lots of interesting information that you may find useful. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to email me at: dgreenberg@gsu.edu. In addition, we often give presentations at conferences, so I hope that you can join us in the future.

Daphne 

Daphne Greenberg

Georgia State University

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to all those who were able to attend the Decoding Instructional Strategies live events on May 13 and 18!

For those who attended the event(s), please consider your teaching practice and reflect. What is something in the webinars that:

1. Reinforced something good that I already am doing?

2. Reminded me of something I used to do and will try again?

3. Gave me a new idea that I plan to try?

Thanks so much for participating in the live events and contributing your thoughts!

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing CoP

Hello everyone,

I attended the second event, which I thought was very useful. I wanted to share some of what I learned with my beginner ESL class. First, I started with sounds of the alphabet. I made my own chart of letters, sounds, and examples: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yC9foOIUAlA3tviI0WW2cfy638GbBhct/view?usp=sharing

My students asked me to make a video that they could follow, so I did, reading the alphabet letter, its sound(s), and example(s) of the sound(s).

I invited my students to record themselves and send the recordings to me using WhatsApp. The more proficient students were able to do this.

Then, I introduced something new each day until the semester ended: the vowel sounds, common vowel combinations (ea, oa, ow), then affixes (re, dis, ing, tion, ed). Another day I introduced sounding out and another day peeling off affixes.

I am very excited about continuing this work in September and very grateful to Daphne Greenberg for sharing this important work. 

I was a little disappointed and surprised to find that accessing the curriculum requires paying for the materials and training, but there is so much to work with that my students will benefit greatly come fall.

Nan

ESL Instructor

Nan,

I am glad that you found the session helpful. I understand why you were disappointed and surprised to find out that there is a cost behind the curriculum to cover materials and professional development. I want to assure you and everyone on this discussion list that the cost does not cover anything else other than the cost to develop an extensive amount of materials and provide extensive professional development. Teaching decoding is difficult, especially to adults who are "stuck" and requires a lot of professional development, coaching, and class observations to help instructors with adults who are having difficulty. I look forward to the day when our field has many more resources to cover these types of costs. Until then, I am thankful to groups like LINCS who provide PD opportunities free of charge, and to people like you who attend them.  It is because of LINCS, that we could share a bit of our materials and professional development free of charge to attendees. Hopefully, one day we can provide more. 

Daphne