Delivering College Information to GED Passers

The gap between the number of GED testtakers who report that they are taking the GED to enroll in college and those who actually enroll in college following pasing is wide (see http://www.gedtestingservice.com/uploads/files/5851d29b2a2c4f6820fa77d0438bf3df.2MB).  I wanted to share a possible easy and cheap way to narrow the gap between the ambitions of GED test-takers and the outcomes.  If GED test-passers were provided with general college and financial aid information packaged with their mailed high school equivalency diplomas and test scores, logic indicates that they might be more likely to transition directly into college-going.  With the GED test changing in some places and being replaced by alternative HSE tests in other places (including in New York State where I am), it’s a good time to rethink not only the test but also how passers are notified of their passage (or failure) and whether basic college and financial aid information is part of that. 

Do any of your states already provide college-going information enclosed with the HSE diploma mailing? If so, what is provided?  (For all I know, perhaps something is already in the works in New York State.)  

Eric Neutuch

Coordinator, Strategic College Initiatives | Project Director, College Connections Project

Manhattan Educational Opportunity Center | 163 West 125th Street, 14th Floor  |  New York, NY 10027

Tel: 212.961.4333  |  Fax: 212.961.3226  |  MEOC Website: www.man.eoc.suny.edu  |  CCP Website: www.meoccollegeconnections.org

The MEOC College Connections Project is a US Department of Education TRIO EOC program

Comments

As the Education & Career Counselor at a correctional facility in Massachusetts, I may be able to help you. Last year, the MA grant-funded programs had to begin forming an "education and career plan" or "family plan" with every single student in their programs. I had been doing similar work already for years with our students (my position is grant funded).

I know that you were asking your question from the viewpoint of mailing info with the GED certificate. Maybe a list of community colleges with the direct web address to their programs, the web address of FAFSA, something similar to my "Steps Upon Release" form could be part of the mailing.

I have to provide everything for students interested in continuing their education because they are not allowed on the Internet.

1) I meet students as a group in the classroom to give a quick explanation of the community college system. I explain the difference between programs (certificates, degrees) and talk about financial aid. 

2) For students interested in continued education after obtaining their GED, I give them the complete list of programs offered at the nearest community college to their home address. Then they choose up to 6 programs to know more about. I give them the information from the college catalog for each of those programs.

2) Then they can choose up to 3 programs that I will print out information from O'Net (great resource) regarding the particular careers.

3) They choose one program, and I help them with the application. If they cannot afford the application fee (if there is one), they write a letter explaining why they cannot afford it and ask for a waiver. In almost 14 years, I have never had anyone turned down for a waiver.

4) I help them fill out the FAFSA (we have to use the paper version)---maybe you can help your students work on it on-line.

5) Then, before they leave, I give them a form I wrote called "Steps Upon Release." It contains the phone numbers for Admissions, Financial Aid, and Placement Testing office, along with college bookstore info, etc. I will e-mail you this form.

All of this paperwork becomes part of their education and career plan (along with the plan form).

FYI - Within the first few days of their incarceration, all inmates are TABE tested in Reading and Math. In addition, registration with Selective Service is verified (on line/easy) for every single new inmate under the age of 26. If they are not registered, they complete the paper form. This is very important because it is an automatic denial of financial aid if they never registered, and it can be a fairly long process to get the Director of Financial Aid at each school to override the denial.

I hope you find this helpful, and I will FAX you the "Steps Upon Release" form.

Lorraine M. Gardocki, Education and Career Advisor

Middlesex Sheriff's Office, Billerica House of Correction

978-932-3226

Lorraine - Thanks for faxing me.  The list of college advising steps is great!  But because so many GED passers aren’t supported by folks like you, me, and other people on this LINCS group, I would like to see information provided by mail along with high school equivalency diplomas.  

Eric Neutuch

Coordinator, Strategic College Initiatives | Project Director, College Connections Project

Manhattan Educational Opportunity Center | 163 West 125th Street, 14th Floor  |  New York, NY 10027

Tel: 212.961.4333  |  Fax: 212.961.3226  |  MEOC Website: www.man.eoc.suny.edu  |  CCP Website: www.meoccollegeconnections.org

The MEOC College Connections Project is a US Department of Education TRIO EOC program

Thanks for your response, Lorraine!

Eric, I know about several Boston-area (and MA) adult education programs that use the Integrated Career Awareness Curriculum (LINK) and the Career and Education Planning worksheet within it to help the students consider their next-step options and take action. 

~ Priyanka