Support systems for remote learners

Colleagues, 

I'd like to devote the month of July to discussing institutional support services for online / remote learners.  As we are getting ready for the new academic year, it may be time to review how we support students. Student support models in higher education include Purdue University GlobalColorado Community Colleges Online, andArizona State Online. Their models include using mentors to guide and aid individuals through the enrollment and instructional process. 

Supporting remote learners is much broader than supporting them in the online classroom. Think about all the services that are offered to the traditional classroom learners. How are these services adapted for the remote learners? 

I'm looking forward to your ideas, comments, and examples of supporting remote learners. 

Kathy Tracey

Comments

Colleagues, 

As we dive into this discussion for successfull online learning, I invite you to review the article What Do Unsuccessful Online Students Want Us To Know. While the research was conducted in 2010, the responses are relevant today, almost 11 years later. 

The number one reason why students felt that they were not successful in their online course was because they "got behind and couldn't catch up."

• How does the information presented in this article align with your perceptions and experiences for attritioin in online / remote courses? 
  • Based on this information, how can you develop support services for your online / distance learners? 

I'm looking forward to your feedback. 

Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey

Colleagues, 

As we look at developing support services for remote learners, I invite you to review the article Relationships between Minority Students Online Learning Experiences and Academic Performance 

The study investigated the relationship between minority students' use of technology, social media, the number of online courses, program of study, satisfaction, and academic performance. The findings indicate there is a relationship existed between the use of technology, the number of courses in online, program of study, and academic performance. Categories with impact success included:

• flexibility and time convenience,
  • self-confidence,
  • lack of support,
  • self-regulated learning skills,
  • and language and linguistic differences.

This outcomes of this study firmly establishes the critical importance of establing multicultural presenses in only courses. 

I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts and how these resources can be used together to aid programs in their development of support services. 

Sincerely, 

Kathy Tracey