What's that job like? Career exploration

Hello colleagues, Have you integrated career exploration into your classes? If so, what materials or websites have you found useful?

There are a great many resources in the LINCS collection on this topic. One you may be familiar with is the "Integrating Career Awareness Into the ABE & ESOL Classroom," which includes a wonderful collection of detailed lesson plans for low intermediate to advanced English learners.

Another resource in the LINCS collection, "Day in the Life Videos," which features individuals describing the work they do, such as a dietician, a software engineer, a landscape architect, an RN, etc. I'd love to draw from these videos when teaching advanced learners. When I do, I'll also try to find the videos on the ConnectEd YouTube channel, so we can access the transcripts, too.

Searching for "career exploration" in the LINCS Resource Collection will lead you to many other useful materials. Let us know what you find!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP

Comments

Hi All,

The NYSED (New York State Education Department) / CUNY (City University of New York) CareerKits are one of the richest resources I know on the topic of work. Ellen Baxt is the CareerKit creator and principle writer for each of the 10 individual, sector-specific CareerKits (see https://www.cuny.edu/academics/academic-programs/model-programs/cuny-college-transition-programs/adult-literacy/cuny-careerkit-for-hse-esl-learners/). All 10 have content-based lessons that develop academic skills while learning about the world of work. On the specific question of "What's that job like?" resources, each of the CareerKits has a unit called "In Their Own Words: Worker Narratives" (typically Unit 3 or Unit 4). The CareerKits are designed for High School Equivalency (HSE) students as well as high level ESOL students. There are adaptations of the materials for lower level ESOL students. These are just the highlights. Take a look for yourself at the link above.

Best,

Moira Taylor