Holiday Math Puzzle

As we begin to have a few weeks away from our classrooms, let's try a few math puzzles:

Directions: One number in each group does not belong, what is the number, and explain why it doesn't belong.

1. 12, 29, 24, 37, 2, 83
  2. 42, 26, 9, 12, 15, 27
  3. 25, 16, 49, 81, 36, 54

If we get these solved and you have another math puzzle to share then post it.  Let's develop our mathematical thinking and support each other.

Brooke

Comments

Which One Doesn't Belong???  I wonder how hard students who aren't awash in arithmetic for years would find these.  Would it be frustrating?  Or would they enjoy the process?   

At a quick glance I'm seeing:

Group 1: The 2 doesn't belong because it's a one digit number

Group 2: The 26 doesn't belong because it's not divisible by 3.

Group 3: The 54 doesn't belong because it's not a perfect square.

But if this works like WODB then I'm interested in other observations....

1.     83 doesn't belong because it is the only number greater than 50.

2.     9 doesn't belong because it is the only single digit number.

3.     81 doesn't belong because it is the only number without a 4, 5, or 6 digit.

Here is a problem I recently gave to my math students.  Only 2 students got it correct.  Think carefully before you answer.

A boat is in a bay and has a ladder hanging off the side.  There currently 4 rungs showing.  Each rung is 12 inches apart.  The water in the bay is rising 6 inches every hour.  After 3 hours how many rungs are still showing?

Thanks for the new puzzle, I need some time to think about this...then I will post my response.  I hope others will jump on and post, their responses and other puzzles.  Sometimes practitioners need to flex their brain muscles and we are a very supportive group to do that in.

Here is a problem I recently gave to my math students.  Only 2 students got it correct.  Think carefully before you answer.

A boat is in a bay and has a ladder hanging off the side.  There currently 4 rungs showing.  Each rung is 12 inches apart.  The water in the bay is rising 6 inches every hour.  After 3 hours how many rungs are still showing?

1.  83 doesn't belong, because it's the only number where the tens digit is larger than the ones digit

2. 42 doesn't belong, because it's the only number where the ones digit is smaller than the tens digit

3. 81 doesn't belong, because if you put the numbers in order least to greatest, it's the only one that isn't a consecutive number (doesn't follow a number with a tens digit one less than it)

1. 12, 29, 24, 37, 2, 83 - 12 doesn't belong because it's the only one that is half of another number in the set. 
  2. 42, 26, 9, 12, 15, 27 - 27 doesn't belong because it's the only one that is the sum of two of the other numbers in the set. 
  3. 25, 16, 49, 81, 36, 54 - 49 doesn't belong because it's the only one where the digits do not add up to 7 or 9. 

I am not sure how I have been out of the loop about Mathigon!  I found myself looking forward to each Puzzle of a Day and playing around with the virtual manipulatives!  

Thank you both!

Brooke