Teaching the Anxious and Depressed Student Live Event: June 2 at 3 PM ET

Hi Everyone,

The pandemic triggered a large increase in the number of students who suffer from anxiety and depression. Trauma and chronic stress lead to anxiety and depression and make learning a challenge. On June 2, 2022 at 3 PM ET, we will hold a live webinar entitled, Teaching the Anxious and Depressed Student. This webinar will shed light on the signs and symptoms of anxiety and depression and explain how trauma-informed teaching practices support learning and increase student retention. Please register for this event HERE

• What questions would you like to see answered in this presentation?
  • What challenges have you had with anxious and depressed students in your classroom?

I look forward to seeing you there!

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing Group 

Comments

Hi Everyone,

It's never a good day when your daughter (hereafter AD for Amazing Daughter) comes and tells you she is depressed. My wife and I had that experience back in 2018. For many months prior to that time, we were caught in a labyrinth of confusion. Medical doctors told us AD's problems were mental health issues. Mental health professionals told us her problems were physical. I lost count of the doctors we went to see. We tried everything and seemed no closer to a solution. We eventually discovered she had been abused by someone we trusted. Due to the abuse, she suffered from anxiety, depression, and Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Thankfully, we were able to get her help from a psychiatrist and from a series of therapists that have helped her achieve significant healing. 

May in Mental Health Awareness Month. For for too long, mental health issues have been swept under the rug. They are someone else's problem only to be discussed in hushed tones behind closed doors. To end the stigma, more awareness is needed and Mental Health Awareness Month assists with that. 

On June 2, 2022 at 3 PM ET, Susan Roberts and I will lead a webinar on Teaching the Anxious and Depressed Student (register HERE). AD taught me much about how to help students who have anxiety and depression which I will share during the webinar. Anxiety and depression, already a significant issue, have exploded due to the effects of the pandemic. 

"Mental health challenges in children, adolescents, and young adults are real and widespread. Even before the pandemic, an alarming number of young people struggled with feelings of helplessness, depression, and thoughts of suicide — and rates have increased over the past decade.” said Surgeon General Vivek Murthy. “The COVID-19 pandemic further altered their experiences at home, school, and in the community, and the effect on their mental health has been devastating. The future wellbeing of our country depends on how we support and invest in the next generation" (HHS.gov).

We are looking forward to seeing you on June 2! 

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

Hi Everyone,

Just a friendly reminder that I will be leading our group's monthly event, a webinar on Teaching the Anxious and Depressed Student. It will take place on Thursday, June 2 at 3 PM ET. You can still register HERE. Here's the description:

The pandemic triggered a large increase in the number of students who suffer from anxiety and depression. Trauma and chronic stress lead to anxiety and depression and make learning a challenge. On June 2, 2022 at 3 PM ET, we will hold a live webinar entitled, Teaching the Anxious and Depressed Student. This webinar will shed light on the signs and symptoms of anxiety and depression and explain how trauma-informed teaching practices support learning and increase student retention.

Hope to see you on Thursday,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator