Share Your Appreciation for Teachers!

This week (May 8-12, 2023) is Teacher Appreciation Week. We all know the hard work and dedication it takes to be a teacher, and this week we focus on celebrating those educators who have made a positive impact. That includes you! 

This week, post a comment responding to one of the following prompts:

• Share what being an adult educator means to you, or how your teaching has changed over time.
  • Post about a colleague who has been a mentor to you in your teaching or who has been an inspiration to you in your career
  • Share a story of an educator who has impacted your life for the better.

Let’s fill the comments with stories and encouragement in support of our nation’s educators!

Thanks for your thoughts,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing Group 

Comments

Hi Everyone,

In honor of teacher appreciation week, I will share these thoughts from my mentor, Dr. Gerald Parker. He used them to close out our summer institutes at Appalachian State each year: 

Who are we?  What are we doing here?  Where are we going?

In Soviet times, an old rabbi was approached by a young man from the local militia. "Who are you? What are you doing here? Where are you going?"

The rabbi responded, "How much do they pay you to ask those questions?" 

"Two rubles a day," was his proud reply.

"Each time you see me, I'll pay you two rubles if you'll keep asking me those questions."

So - Who are we? What are we doing here? Where are we going? We are gifts . . .

To the one who fears rejection - we show acceptance.

To the one who fears inadequacy - we guide step by step as their fears melt away. 

To the one who feels disconnected - we build community.

To the one who feels lonely - we listen.

To the one who has experienced failure - day by day we celebrate success. 

To the powerless – we give a pen and a voice.

To those who feel defective - we celebrate their uniqueness.

To those who feel worthless - they see reflected in our eyes - they are priceless. 

To those who feel abandoned - we help reclaim as treasures.

Who are we? We're adult educators!

What are we doing here? Making a difference that really matters!!!

Who are we - roots on a tree, quiet and mostly unseen, giving life and nurture. 

Who are we - air under the wings of a bird - lifting those who were caged to new heights.

Who are we – gifts - precious gifts of hope, fostering transformation of lives who will never be the same.

Who are we - bridges to expanding opportunities. 

Who are we - high touch in a high-tech world.

Who are we – God’s instruments – giving “wings to caterpillars.” 

Who are we – blessed – far beyond what we deserve 

Where are we going? Intentionally pursuing what MATTERS! Helping ourselves and others become more than we ever dreamed we could become!

Thank you adult educators for the difference you make with our students each and every day!

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing Group