Welcome! Please introduce yourself!

Welcome to the LINCS English Language Acquisition Community! 

Please introduce yourself to your colleagues! Tell us your name, where you work, and how long you’ve been working in the field of adult ESL.  We'd love to hear a bit about the adult learners you have been working with. We all  look forward to hearing your voice in our community!

This group is a wonderful venue for networking, highlighting effective teaching strategies and valuable resources, and working together with other practitioners from across the US to solve puzzles related to our practice. When you get a moment, please introduce yourself to the group and tell us something about your interest and experience in ESL/ESOL. Feel free to post any questions you have, as well.

Here are some ways you can participate in the English Language Acquisition group, engage with peers, and keep in touch:

How to Participate
Explore the English Language Acquisition group and participate by commenting on a discussion, posting a new discussion topic/question, or attending a live professional development event! Please review the LINCS Community Code of Conduct and Community Guidelines for Participation.  

Sign-up for Email Notifications
Keep in touch! To get email notifications click on Subscription type on the left menu and choose either the “daily” or “immediate” option. Keep in mind that if you want to reply directly to a message you receive in your email, you need to be signed in to LINCS first.

Complete your Profile
Log into LINCS and go to Account Settings to complete your member profile. Feel free to add a picture, too.. We are working on ways to support practitioners to connect with one another in meaningful ways; knowing what roles people play and where they are affiliated will help with this goal. For assistance in completing your profile and navigating LINCS, please see the LINCS Community Help page.  

HOW TO GET LINCS POSTS DIRECTLY IN YOUR EMAIL

Did you know you can have posts from this -- or any -- LINCS CoP sent immediately to your email, and that you can click on them to reply?

Here's how -- easy as 1, 2, 3, 4:

1. From the "LINCS Community" page, select the "My LINCS" and the "My Groups" tabs.

2. Scroll down to the "English Language Acquisition" group.

3. From the drop-down menu to the right, select "Immediate".

4. Remember to "save" the change.

If you prefer, in the drop-down menu you can set it it to group your CoP messages in a 12 hour or 24 hour digest. However, if you set it to "none" you'll miss the excitement of getting some engaging posts in your e-mail as they happen!

You won't want to miss the great conversations happening here in our community!

It's great to have you as part of the group. Please feel free to contact me any time with questions or concerns. I look forward to hearing your voice on LINCS! 

Cheers, 

Susan Finn Miller, sfinnmiller@gmail.com

Moderator, English Language Acquisition Community

Comments

Hello!  

My name is Farhana and I just joined the group.  I founded and ran a California non-profit for 12 years that helped low-resourced immigrant and refugee women to improve their English and start their own small business.  I spent 9 of those years working to create a curriculum with my team that blended ESL with business start-up training.  We started our program in the early years as a collaboration with Oakland Adult Education's ESL department and then spun off into our own classroom/ organization.

During those 12 years, we created a blended learning teaching curriculum comprised of popular soap operas (telenovelas) about an immigrant woman from Mexico name Sylvia and her friends adventures in starting a business in the U.S.  The program wove together English and entrepreneurship training for intermediate low and intermediate high ESL learners.  

Sadly the non-profit closed in 2011 (long story).  I was exhausted and I put the program to rest.  Last summer I decided to come back to this work and try to revive the program curriculum.  I believe what we were creating might have been a bit too early for its time back then but believe it is a good fit now for the way training and education has developed.  So much time and resources were invested into the idea and I would love to see it get out into the world.

I'm looking forward to connecting, networking, and sharing more about this work with you.  

Thanks!

Warmly,

Farhana

It's great to have you as part of our LINCS community, Farhana. If you'd like to say more about the fascinating curricular resource you mention here, I hope you will create a new discussion thread and invite others to share their thoughts.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition Group