Webb's Depth of Knowledge and the new GED

Hello colleagues, I hope everyone had a relaxing Thanksgiving holiday weekend. I've been thinking a lot about higher order thinking these days since  I recently taught an online course on the topic. The new GED test is said to be designed to require more critical thinking since it is based on Webb's Depth of Knowledge (DOK). For those who will be using the new GED in a few weeks, what have you learned about Webb's DOK as you prepare students for the new test?

Best, Susan

Assessment Moderator

Comments

Susan,

All of the new HSE exams are utilizing Webb's DOK as a framework for the assessments.  Here's a link to one of the documents for the HiSET exam that references the cognitive complexity for each of the exam's content areas.  The HiSET is designed to assess Webb's DOK levels 1-3.  http://hiset.ets.org/s/pdf/cognitive_complexity.pdf In addition, the alignment of the assessments with the CCSS and CCR are also reflective of the level of thinking required by each of the new High School Equivalency assessments.  As I worked with teachers in a variety of states regarding the implementation of the HiSET exam, one of the recurring comments from teachers was that while most of the content seemed similar or if new, appropriate (the 'what' is taught), what was new would be 'the how'--getting students to think more deeply about the content and be able to apply it in a variety of scenarios and across content areas.

Hi Michelle, Thanks for your posting. I am hoping folks who are preparing adults for the GED or another high school equivalency will share their thoughts and ideas, as well as their questions about how Webb's Depth of Knowledge is guiding their practice. 

Cheers, Susan

Assessment Moderator