Free Online Dictionary

I am looking for recommendations of free online dictionaries for adults who read between the 3rd and 8th grade levels. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daphne Greenberg

Georgia State University

Center for the Study of Adult Literacy (csal.gsu.edu)

Comments

Daphne,

I don't recall such a resource that would be geared to a particular reading level in the population.

I wonder though if such a resource might exist for specific vocabulary uses or domains such as a vocabulary for career or vocational areas? If the latter, perhaps some trade groups (e.g,  nursing) would have that resource to support persons as they prepared for a certification exam (e.g., certified nursing assistant). In our Job Corps project with construction, culinary arts and health care trades, we found that students' limited vocabulary knowledge was a significant challenge to their development of the declarative and procedural knowledge in that trade.

As a consequence we spent considerable time helping the instructors develop their skills in teaching vocabulary to the students.

Regards,

Daryl

My daughter, who teaches English and reading to middle school students, suggests Dictionary.com which also has a Thesaurus.com link.  She said that students can usually find a synonym they can relate to, even if they aren't sure of the meaning of the definition.  I found a lot of other interesting information when I logged on.

Dear Daphne Greenberg,

Although I am not sure if I can help you with this, let me humbly recommend you my thesis (its title is "Lexicography as Presented on the Internet"; University of Debrecen; Institute of English and American Studies; 2011), where I made some research on online dictionaries. My e-mail address is tiszakriszti@hotmail.com. If you drop me an e-mail, I can send it to you in pdf-format. (You can find some practical examples of comparing online dictionaries at the end of my work.)

Happ New Year,

Krisztina from Hungary

I have recently begun using www.wordsmyth.net and I really like the fact that they offer 3 levels of definitions (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced).  There are also easy-to-use tools for creating vocabulary activities and quizzes, and they are offering free subscriptions for this academic year that allow teachers to use some of the more advanced tools.

I frequently use Merriam Webster's online dictionary (and thesaurus) at http://www.merriam-webster.com/ You simply enter the word in the search box. Then you get full definitions, examples, origin, related and rhyming words. There are also easier definitions for kids and ESL students. A disadvantage is that you have to ignore multiple ads surrounding the dictionary information. I guess that's the price for "free."