LED Lighting Fixtures vs. Fluorescent

Hello,

Anyone who has ever worked with special needs students knows how important the actual learning environment is for student success. Good lighting is an integral part of the learning environment.  Do you know what kind of lighting is the best to choose?

Comparing LED lighting fixtures to fluorescent, there is an obvious difference.  LED lighting is beneficial as it eliminates the negative aspects of fluorescent bulbs including the sub-visible flicker which can cause headaches, eyestrain, increased repetitive behavior, and other physical symptoms.  LED lighting also has the added benefit of energy savings of approximately 60%.

How many of you have difficulty with lighting in your classrooms?

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Comments

HI Rochelle--your posting made me think of an adult education program I worked with in Ft. Worth a few years ago.  As a result of what I learned from Dr. Laura Weisel about vision and reading and lighting issues, I was very conscious of the effect of poor lighting on the functioning of adult students.  The program I was visiting had very gloomy, blue-ish lighting-- cheap fluorescent bulbs.   I recommended that they ask their maintenance person to replace the bulbs with full spectrum bulbs, a very simple and relatively inexpensive change.   When I returned a couple of months later, I actually did not RECOGNIZE the people or the space. Something was VERY different.  I asked the director-- truly an inspired man, by the way-- what was different.  He smiled from ear to ear and said " LOOK at everyone!   We are ALL smiling because of the lights!" And sure enough, the room and the atmosphere were totally changed.  Bright and happy-- and the students ALL told me individually how much better it was to come to study with the new lighting.  The teachers were literally ecstatic!!  

I will be interested to hear if LED lighting can have a similar effect.  I am well aware of not only the flickering but the humming of fluorescent bulbs--my middle daughter is so sensitive to that that she backs right out of some rooms when she hears the hum.     What about the high efficiency fluorescent bulbs?  Does anyone know if those are different for people who see the flicker and hear the hum?   I know I have rejected some for their blue light and have had to try to find warmer, pinker light for lamps in my house.  

There is very little written about the effect of lighting on those who are tryting to learn, but we should pay MUCH more attention to it.   I have tried in vain at other places I have visited or worked to get a change of bulbs.   I can barely wait to get out of those places. Sometimes they are so gloomy and hard to concentrate in.   But at least that one program had a happy outcome!

Robin Lovrien 

Hi Robin,

I appreciate your sharing this wonderful story.  I have heard similar stories from so many teachers.  They went out of their way to convince either administration or the maintenance staff to change the bulbs and their students experienced a positive change in how they learned.  

It's time to check your classroom lighting..................

I would love to hear of other success stories like Robin's.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME