Conundrum - Problem of the week

Hello All - I haven't heard much about the problems I have been posting so I have slowed down on the volume.  If you like the problems or use them in your class please be sure to post a comment.

Here is a conundrum -

Mr. and Mrs. Smith have six daughters and each daughter has a brother.  How many people are in the family?

Post your answers and how your reasoning to the board.  Also, report out if you use this in your class room.  

Best,

Brooke

Comments

I agree with the answer of 9.

I probably would not use this problem in my classroom because it is more language related than math related.  I do use a problem at the end of each class.   I find that my students are more willing to try solving a problem when they get them everyday.  Today's problem is from NCTM: 

A dozen pears weigh the same as 8 oranges. Three apples weigh the same as 2 oranges. How many apples weigh the same as a dozen pears?

My students had the most trouble with the words and wording with this problem.  Most of them drew bars from the Singapore bar model; some of them used ratios.  Of course, the organization was the key to this problem.

Thanks for posting a variety of problems.

Even those that are "language based" makes the students use skills they may not otherwise access.  

Keep them all coming!

I can see how this could be more of a language problem but it is still a good logic problem.  So many times our learners just want us to show them the answer or what us to model how to solve it.  This problem and many more that I plan to post are about patience with problem-solving.  Remember, the joy in finding the solution is the journey and we need to help our learners find that patience.

Brooke

P.S. - Thanks for the feedback, it is good to know that these problem are being used and I love the other problems, too!

Hi Brooke

I mentioned this once before because the "Problem of the Week" provides an opportunity to highlight the Math standard(s) that must be mastered in order to solve the problem.  Would this be something that would be helpful to the members of the community?  I am interested in what you think.

Meryl Becker-Prezocki

Meryl,

I think it is always good to highlight standards, especially since many of us are trying to get familiar with the College and Career Readiness Standards. Would you like to help us identify the standards?

Brooke