Study Circle on Adult Numeracy

The LINCS Region 1 Professional Development Center recently hosted a virtual study circle on adult numeracy for teachers in Region 1. Participants attended three online meetings and used a private LINCS Community group to complete assignments and share ideas and resources with their colleagues.  Lynda Ginsburg, Mary Jane Schmitt, and Donna Curry were our subject matter experts and facilitated the study circle.

I’d like to share the resources we used and how we used those resources. We also did some problem solving and then thinking about our own thinking to help us understand the concepts. 

I’m also hoping that the study circle participants will take a few minutes to add Comments about their key learnings and “a-ha” moments.  We’d also invite you to comment on what you see.

In session one, we reflected on our own attitudes and experiences in studying and teaching math.  We then analyzed how our own instruction aligns with the concepts presented in “Designing Instruction with the Components of Numeracy in Mind” through sharing our own “risk” category and discussing the reflection questions.

If you’re curious, read Ginsburg, L. (2008, May). Designing instruction with the components of numeracy in mind. Focus on Basics (9)A, pp. 14–19. Available at: http://ncsall.net/fileadmin/resources/fob/2008/fob_9a.pdf.

Poll: Which is your “risk” category when teaching math?

• emphasizing calculation skills
  • focusing on the language aspect of word problems
  • attempting to dissipate math anxiety
  • dividing math content into distinct, non-overlapping topics
  • only embedding instruction within real-life contexts

Reflections: How do you feel about your "risk" category? What might you change?

You can learn more about the components of numeracy by reviewing the occasional paper: Ginsburg, L., Manly, M., & Schmitt, M.J. (2006). The Components of Numeracy. [NCSALL Occasional Paper]. Cambridge, MA: National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy.  Available at: www.ncsall.net/resources/research/op_numeracy.pdf

In preparation for sessions 2 and 3, we read Building on Foundations for Success: Guidelines for improving adult mathematics instruction (2011). Berkeley, CA: MPR Associates. Available at: http://lincs.ed.gov/publications/pdf/AdultNumeracyReportFinal2011.pdf.

The focus for session 2 was on the Guidelines for Improving the Content of Adult Mathematics Instruction:

1. Mathematics content should emphasize a consistent link between math concepts learned and their use in context and form a coherent progression of learning.
  2. The topics of fractions, decimals, percent, and proportions are essential and should form the instructional foundation for adult mathematics education.
  3. Algebraic thinking is essential for decision making in daily life and in the workplace. Elements of algebra, therefore, should be introduced early to all students in adult mathematics instruction.
  4. All content strands (number, geometry and measurement, algebra, and statistics) should be included in varying degrees at all levels of adult mathematical instruction.

We considered what these guidelines mean for what students learn in our programs. And, thus, what that means for what we teach.

The focus for session 3 was on the Guidelines for Improving Instructional Strategies in Adult Mathematics Instruction

1. Students should demonstrate all aspects of mathematical proficiency.
  2. Computational fluency is more than knowledge of procedures.
  3. Instruction should address negative affective factors.
  4. Instruction should include meaningful contexts.
  5. Formative assessment should be an integral classroom component.
  6. A variety of student groupings should be used to enhance communication and collaboration.
  7. Instruction should include technology in contexts for which students are preparing.

We spent time considering what these guidelines mean for how teachers teach and students learn. In doing this we focused on the mathematical proficiency strands and collectively explored math examples. As we solved math problems from real-life and samples from the new high school equivalency tests we shared our own approaches and thinking in coming to the solutions.

What intrigues you? What might you like to know more about? How have these resources affected what content you use and how you teach math? 

Comments

Here's one of the problems that we worked on between study circle sessions.

What is going on in these three equations?

9 + 7 = 10 + 6

35 + 97 = 32 + 100

297 + 438 = 300 + 435

What do the equations have in common? Make up another equation that follows the same idea. What is the general idea about addition of which these are examples?

Why is this kind of activity important for students to practice?  What's the value? What's the connection to algebra??

Is Algebrafying a word used very often?  I'm adopting it for future reference in my classroom.

This example is reflecting on the concept of estimating.  The right side of the equations demonstrate the use of base ten numbers.  Another example could be :  62+97=59+100.  I approach the equation first by finding a number that I can change to 10,100,1000, etc.  Then, adjust the other number by the same amount (+ or -).  This makes the equation easier to work with.

The word "Algebrafying" was used by Jim Kaput in 1998 in a talk titled "Transforming algebra from an engine of inequity to an engine of mathematical power by “algebrafying” the K–12 curriculum" given at a National Research Council conference on "The nature and role of algebra in the K–14 curriculum." The proceedings of the national symposium are available to download for free from the National Academy Press. There are many interesting articles relevant to adults learning algebra in the book. I think this book could easily be the basis of a Math Study Circle.

I think this would be a good location to try it.  I would be interested in having help with finding online sources to teach Algebra that is beyond the basic concepts.  There is no print material available yet that addresses this for GED 2014.

What I mean is that working through a Professional Development activity with a group would give me a clearer structure for how to procede through my curriculum revamping.  I participated in the Writing Study Circle.  The scheduled webinars and assignments helped me to better pull together ideas and a plan. 

I am currently working through the articles linked in this study circle.

SueP,

Here are a couple of suggestions-- you could use a Google Hangout to meet--it's free and you can talk, see each other's faces, share screens and documents for up to 10 participants.  The TIAN bundles are great resources--formerly, I used them in Kansas when working for the state as the Associate Director of Professional Development.  Teachers who had participated in the first year of the TIAN project's professional development, continued for a second year and utilized the TIAN bundles in their regional meetings.

I would be willing to provide the technical support to help you and 8 or so others teachers who would like to participate in self-directed free PD with occasional synchronous meetings. Or perhaps we could develop a schedule for moving through the bundles and ask teachers to post their discussions on each bundle under a dedicated discussion thread in the Math group on LINCS. I may have some materials that I could share, I will do some digging.  If you have other ideas or want to discuss further, feel free to contact me through my email and we can exchange contact info.

Michelle

I would very much like to be involved in a math study group. I teach a combination of ABE- GED in Morgan Hill California.  Right now there is very little PD support for us to transition to the new GED especially in Math.  Please let me know about the study group and what it would entail.

Thank you,

Debra

Debra,

I'm sorry to be behind on replying.  That makes 2 of us, so far.  I am attending the COABE conference in mid-March, and taking the all-day pre-conference workshop given by the Adult Numeracy Network.  It deals with moving from Arithmetic to Algebra.  I will see if I can drum up other potential participants to join our own study circle on this. 

I, too, am a bit overwhelmed with making the switch to the new curriculum.  I want to include more manipulatives, and help my students learn the math in a way that really sticks with them.  I'm finding a lot of interesting stuff out there, including the TIAN bundles, but it's taking time to vet and organize it.

Sue P.

I am interested in the study group -- I just can not state how much time I can commit with me being in doctoral school.  I'm assuming this will be online correct?

Maranda

Maranda,

I'm sure we can be flexible.  That brings us up to 3.  I think we'd be very interested in your doctoral work, too.  Did I see a comment in another thread about your attempting to address math anxiety in adult learners?

Sue P.