Information about CASAS Assessment

I have to describe the differences/similarities between TABE and CASAS math assessments.  I am having a hard time to find the detailed specifics on the CASAS assessment -- does anyone know of technical book they provide?  I specifically need to know the amount of questions, description of the different levels, and if there are sections within the assessment (i.e. TABE is split into two components).

Thanks!

Comments

Here's a link to the skill level descriptors for CASAS https://www.casas.org/product-overviews/curriculum-management-instruction/casas-scale-skill-levels-and-descriptors

As for the information about the test content, check out this link.  https://www.casas.org/product-overviews/assessments Additionally, CASAS does have a technical manual, but I believe it is only available by request from CASAS, I do not think it is available on their website.  You most likely will need to contact them directly.

Hello  the descriptions are part of my dissertation literature review.  Right now there isn't an in-depth analysis -- just enough to provide insight on how adult learners are assessed in the ABE environment.  But I am sure my advisor will want more detail such as the correlations between each test and the GED -- which I have that piece for TABE.  I assumed that I would need to contact CASAS about their assessments.   I specifically need to know what the levels represent, which assessment to reference -- they have more than TABE, and how the overall scores are computed.  I actually still need to figure that out about TABE as well.     

At COABE I asked the representative about the information needed and she advised me to review the site -- but I haven't been able to see it on the site. 

When we retest some on CASAS, we can get a print out of the likelihood of them passing different sections of the 2002 GED. The levels represent different grade levels, I had a chart correlating them and I will send it if you need it.

Debra

An opinion:  As a math person I find the CASAS math to be at a much lower skill/concept level than TABE.  CASES seems to me to be more concerned with language comprehension. TABE is by and large computation. The GED and TABE are different from each other in that the GED (even the 2002 version) required much more concept application than either TABE or CASAS. 

Have you considered doing a survey of adult ed practitioners to get their take on the differences between the tests? You might get a different feel than what the guides to the tests say the tests do.

Dorothea Steinke

I appreciate all of the responses and assistance on my questions.  

I was able to provide decent overviews.  The assessments are not 

my main research focus,  but have to acknowledge the ABE

assessments.  My main focus is the influence of math attitudes on

influence an adult's learner math performance.

I appreciate all of the responses and assistance on my questions.  

I was able to provide decent overviews.  The assessments are not 

my main research focus,  but have to acknowledge the ABE

assessments.  My main focus is the influence of math attitudes on

an adult's learner math performance.