2014 GED Accommodations

Good morning-

I would like to ask if others have access to what accommodations are and are not allowed on the 2014 GED.  Specifically for adult students who are eligible for Special Education services as outlined in their IEP and recommendations from specific eligibility reports.  Also, I work in a correctional setting.

Respectfully,

Ted Oparnico

Comments

Hi Ted.  This is a good question. I don't have specific info at hand but will do some digging.  GED experts please chime in! This is a critical intersection in the corrections population with such a high number of incarcerated students who have learning challenges, both diagnosed and undisguised.  

Nothing has significantly changed. For a person who can medically/professionally document a reasonable accommodation for testing, those accommodations will be granted. They generally include: time and a half, large print, secluded testing area, etc. For specific information, you can find it here:

http://www.gedtestingservice.com/testers/computer-accommodations

Hi Brent,

Kudos to you!  You posted the informative website from the GED Testing Service.  I decided to copy and paste selected information from it below so users can see what is included and since it answer Ted's question.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

GED Testing Service Accommodations

WHAT ARE ACCOMMODATIONS?

The purpose of accommodations is to provide candidates with full access to the GED® test. However, accommodations are not a guarantee of improved performance or test completion. GED Testing Service provides reasonable and appropriate accommodations to individuals with documented disabilities who demonstrate a need for accommodations. GED® test accommodations may include things such as:

• A separate testing room
  • Extra testing time
  • Extra breaks

Test accommodations are individualized and considered on a case-by-case basis.

Consequently, no single type of accommodation (e.g. extra time) would necessarily be appropriate for all individuals with disabilities. Simply demonstrating that an individual meets diagnostic criteria for a particular disorder does not mean that the person is automatically entitled to accommodations.

WHAT ACCOMMODATIONS ARE RIGHT FOR ME?

Specific accommodations should be related to the functional limitations. For example, a functional limitation might be the limited use of one’s hands for typing. The appropriate accommodation might be to provide a scribe and/or increase the testing time allowed due to the limitation. It is essential that the documentation of the disability provide a clear explanation of the current functional limitation and a rationale for the requested accommodation. You should work with your doctor or other professionals who know you to determine which accommodations are appropriate for you. All GED® candidates who are requesting accommodations because of a disability must provide appropriate documentation of their condition and how it is expected to affect their ability to take the GED® test under standard conditions.

HOW DO I REQUEST ACCOMMODATIONS?

Each request for accommodations is considered on a case-by-case basis. You’ll be asked to fill out a Request for Testing Accommodations form based on disability type. In order to apply for accommodations on the computer based GED® test, you must first create a registration account and then proceed with submitting your request for official review. 

Before you Request any testing accommodations, you must complete the following steps:

Create a MyGEDTM account by signing up on www.GED.com or log-in to your MyGEDTM account if you have an active account.

Answer yes on the GED Testing Service Registration form on the last question asking, “Do you need to request accommodated testing conditions for a documented disability?” 

Once the registration form is submitted, you will receive an email indicating where you will submit your accommodations request form and supporting documentation. 

Preparing the Request Form and supporting Documentation for Review:

1. Read the Documentation Guidelines for Candidates (PDF). Make sure your supporting documentation meets our guidelines. You may want to review your documentation with an advocate, teacher or other professional.
  2. Print a copy of the Accommodations Request Form for your disability and complete section one. You may also be able to obtain the request form from an adult education program offering GED® preparation courses.
  3. Give your evaluator (i.e. doctor, psychologist) a copy of the Documentation Guidelines for Evaluators for your disability. Your evaluator should make sure that the documentation they provide you meets our guidelines. In most cases, your evaluator will be a psychologist or doctor who administered a series of psychological, educational or medical tests with you, and provided you with a copy of a diagnostic report or a detailed letter that you will submit with your request form. 
  4. When you have completed the Accommodations Request Form, submit your completed request form along with the supporting documentation via fax directly to GED Testing Service, as directed on the bottom of the accommodations form. If you plan to test in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, or Yukon Territory, please send to the corresponding address listed here.
  5. The accommodations request decision will be communicated to you from GED Testing Service to your email account provided during the registration process. In most cases, you will hear a decision within 30 days.
  6. If you are not satisfied with the accommodations decision, you may appeal this decision by completing an Appeal Form (PDF) and providing us with additional documentation to review. 

WHAT IF I WAS ALREADY APPROVED FOR ACCOMMODATIONS FOR PAPER BASED TESTING?

If you already have been approved for testing accommodations and have tested on paper, email accommodations@gedtestingservice.com and indicate that you would like to test on the computer. In the email, you should include:

• Your legal name
  • Where you were approved (state or jurisdiction)
  • When the approval occurred (Year and month if known)

If you were approved for modified testing or test accommodations from GED Testing Service® in 2013 for the GED® exam you can request that your approval be transferred to the 2014 GED® exam series here.

If the accommodation approval is still current (within 12 months) we will obtain your past approval letter and email you of when you may proceed with scheduling your computer based exam. If the request is not current, updated documentation and an Accommodations Extension Request Form must be submitted for review.

HOW DO I SCHEDULE AN ACCOMMODATED EXAM?

If you are approved for accommodations, your decision letter will include a number for scheduling your GED® accommodated exam. Accommodated exams must be scheduled by calling in to Pearson VUE Accommodations and Exceptions Scheduling. You cannot schedule a GED® accommodated exam online nor can accommodations be applied to an exam already scheduled.

GET THE FORMS

Instructions for candidates

Click on the accommodations request form you need.

“Intellectual Disabilities” (ID) (PDF)
“Learning and Other Cognitive Disabilities” (LCD) (PDF)
“Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder” (ADHD) (PDF)
“Psychological and Psychiatric Disorders” (EPP) (PDF) 
“Physical Disorders and Chronic Health Conditions” (PCH) (PDF)
“Request for Testing Accommodations Appeal” (PDF) 
“Request for Extension” (PDF)
“Transfer from PBT to CBT Request”

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION

Give the appropriate documentation guidelines below to your doctor or psychologist. 

“Evaluators: ID” (PDF)
“Evaluators: LCD” (PDF)
“Evaluators: ADHD” (PDF) 
“Evaluators: EPP” (PDF)
“Evaluators: PCH” (PDF)

It would be helpful (but is not required) for you to provide additional supporting documentation, such as:

• School records that show participation in special education services 
• Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) 
• Transcripts from middle school or high school 
• Other records that show a history of academic difficulties due to your disability

APPEAL A DECISION

You may appeal an accommodations decision if you’re unhappy with the outcome. Please complete the “Request for Testing Accommodations Appeal” and provide us with additional documentation to review. Disability experts review all appeal requests.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) 
Lower-cost Testing Clinics (PDF) 
Personal Items and Minor Modifications (PDF)

Greetings-

Students who are incarcerated usually arrive with psychological assessments that are beyond the three year timeline for re-establishing a disability.  A good number of incarcerated students arrive after dropping out of school around the 9th or 10th grade.  Can the most recent documentation from a psychologist still qualify if the information a bit outdated?  The student still requires necessary accommodations....

Thanks,

Ted Oparnico

Hi Ted,

I am re-posting this message from Pamela Shrestha in Florida that is also in a different discussion thread.

Rochelle asked that I post this information as a resource.  Regarding accommodations on the 2014 GED, the best resource is the Office GED Site at the Florida Department of Education. Click onto https://ged.fldoe 

Scroll down to a live link under "Other Important Resources."  There you will see a live link entitled, "Accommodations for Test-takers with Disabilities."

Pamela

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but I have to confess that I used to work for GED Testing Service/Pearson VUE in the area of testing accommodations. I am well versed on the documentation guidelines and have developed a training for adult educators to navigate the accommodations process. I can try to arrange a webinar to highlight what I know about the process and the 2014 test as it pertains to accommodations.

Per an earlier question, a psychological report does need to be within 12 months if a learner is applying based upon a psychiatric or psychological disability. I certainly understand the difficulties in obtaining updated information in correctional settings but based upon my experiences, 3 years out would not be considered, "current."

Dave Haugen

Hi Dave,

I am happy to welcome you to the LINCS Community, and specifically to this Group.

I will follow up on your offer to present a webinar on Accommodations for the GED 2014 by contacting the leadership at Kratos.

Thank you,

Rochelle Kenyon, Subject Matter Expert (SME)

Disabilities in Adult Education Group