Announcement: Printables for Earth Day from MakeBeliefsComix.com

Dear colleagues,

You can find many free printables for your students to celebrate Earth Day April 22 at http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/Printables/PrintablesThumbs.php?category=Environment_and_Ecology

They promote discussion and writing for English Language Learners. 

Please enjoy and share!

Bill Zimmerman

Creator, MakeBeliefsComix.com

Comments

Hello, all.

I was just checking out the printable cartoons on Earth Day and it occured to me that one use for these particular cartoons would be for a practice of conditionals.  For example, see the printable cartoon that asks "What would you do if dinasaurs roamed the earth today?" "How would your life be different?"  Another use could be teaching affixes (recycle; recycling). It is a worthwhile topic, I think, and students could go online to find out their city's regulations on recycling.  These activities relate to standards on language, in particular, those requiring students to particpate in speaking, listening and reading and writing activities in which they cite evidence from multiple sources, demonstrate knowledge of conventions used in writing and speaking, , and so on.

My question is this: In looking over the cartoons,  there were few if any adults shown.  Most, if not all, drawings appeared to be of children. Is this an issue, do you think? Would it be more useful to depict adults in the cartoons?

What would you do in  your classroom?

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

If you would like to follow a discussion focused on using comic templates as a strategy, please check out the College and Career Standards Group.  I am also very interested in this approach for adult learners.  You can find the information below:

Week 3 (April 21-25): Focus on instructional strategies for the Reading classroom: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/week-3-watching-teaching-action

• Video: Comic Book Templates: An Entry Point into Nonfiction

Meryl Becker-Prezocki