Looking for a novel

Friend has asked me for advice on an easy to read novel for a "novel reading" one-credit hour course to support our folks who score low on our assessment. Anybody have a reasonably interesting (but wide appeal -- we've got hard-jaded and innocents here), reasonably short novel to recommend? 

Comments

Grass Roots Press has a wide selection of good, easy to read novels. You might also consider using a graphic novel. If you could give more information about approximate reading level I might be able to recommend specific titles.

Hi,

A colleague of mine (Mike Hock in our Center for Research on Learning) recommends the novels and short stories that Townsend Press (TownsendPress.com) publishes in their Bluford Series. Lesson plan and teacher resource materials are also available, which is a valuable contribution. The texts tend to have a readability at the 4th to 6th grade level if you were to check their Lexile scores. Many of the novels in one collection have racial or ethnic minority characters in the lead. The price too is very reasonable at about $2. 

They have other series of books (than the Bluford Series) that cover classic literature, science fiction, history, and other topics. They also publish some great short stories as novels too (e.g., Call of the Wild).

Thus, their offerings would likely have appeal to the hard-jaded (?) and innocents (?).

Hope this is of interest. I'd be interested in hearing if these options were part of your consideration or what is selected. Like I said, our staff likes to use them. I am curious if you find them useful too.

Regards,

Daryl

Reading and Writing moderator