Brain stimulation shows early promise against Alzheimer's

Hi all,

I have posted information on this topic as I know how both Parkinson's and Alzheimer's affect people across the spectrum in our society.  Since I was so interested in it, I hoped that you would be too.

Your comments on this story would be --- very welcomed ----

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Randy Dotinga, a Health Day News reporter, reported on a pilot study completed by German researchers.  In this study, four of six patients with Alzheimer's disease responded favorably to deep brain stimulation (DBS).  DBS treatment is already used successfully with people that have Parkinson's disease.   

In the German study, researchers tested brain stimulation on six patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease. They targeted a part of the brain known as the nucleus basalis of Meynert. This region has been linked to a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine, which helps the brain think properly.

The brains of the patients were stimulated for 11 months after they went through a month of two weeks on and two weeks off treatment. Over the year, the memory skills of four patients stayed stable or improved while memory declined in two others.

The German study didn't compare the treated patients to a "control" group of other patients with Alzheimer's who didn't undergo deep brain stimulation, making it difficult to know if the treatment actually had any effect.

The researchers reported there were no severe side effects from the brain stimulation itself, although the devices malfunctioned in two patients, requiring them to undergo surgeries to implant the electrodes again.

The German researchers report that they've received funding from various drug and medical device companies, and one co-author reports co-holding patents on a type of brain stimulation and being a shareholder of a company that plans to develop new stimulators.

Deep brain stimulation is a surgical procedure used to treat a variety of disabling neurological symptoms including tremor, rigidity, stiffness, slowed movement, and walking problems.  DBS does not damage healthy brain tissue by destroying nerve cells. Instead the procedure blocks electrical signals from targeted areas in the brain.  DBS uses a surgically implanted, battery-operated medical device called a neurostimulator—similar to a heart pacemaker and approximately the size of a stopwatch—to deliver electrical stimulation to targeted areas in the brain that control movement, blocking the abnormal nerve signals that cause tremor and PD symptoms.  Before the procedure, a neurosurgeon uses magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scanning to identify and locate the exact target within the brain where electrical nerve signals generate the PD symptoms.   Some surgeons may use microelectrode recording—which involves a small wire that monitors the activity of nerve cells in the target area—to more specifically identify the precise brain target that will be stimulated.  Generally, these targets are the thalamus, subthalamic nucleus, and globus pallidus.

Once the system is in place, electrical impulses are sent from the neurostimulator up along the extension wire and the lead and into the brain. These impulses interfere with and block the electrical signals that cause PD symptoms.

I personally witnessed a man who had DBS for his Parkinson's show a group of patients and caregivers how his usual tremors, etc. completely disappeared when his neurotransmitter was turned on.  I would not have believed it possible had I not been watching it from the front row. 

Recently, 42 people with Alzheimer's in the United States and Canada have been enrolled in the largest study to date to examine the use of deep brain stimulation to treat this disease.   Some of the patients will undergo stimulation of a part of the brain linked to memory; the others will have a device implanted but it will not be turned on.

"The research is very preliminary. We have good intentions, but there has to be rigorous testing with a 'control' group," said Dr. Stephen Salloway, director of neurology and the Memory and Aging Program at Brown University, in Rhode Island.  Still, "we're opening a new era of exploration for Alzheimer's treatment," said Salloway, who studies brain stimulation. His hospital, Butler Hospital in Providence, R.I., is taking part in the new, larger study that's enrolled patients.

There's no cure for Alzheimer's disease, and physicians have no way to stop it from getting worse and robbing patients of their memory and ability to function.  "Medications may help patients have a better quality of life, but probably don't have any long-term effect in terms of slowing down the disease or improving their life expectancy," said Dr. Ricardo Osorio, a research assistant professor at the New York University School of Medicine.  The idea is to help a brain "circuit" work properly again, Brown University's Salloway explained. The treatment may even coax the creation of new neurons and connections in the brain.

As for cost, Medicare covers brain stimulation for Parkinson's patients. The biggest cost is the surgery for the implantation.  There would be ongoing care, but hopefully the person doesn't need a lot of care and maintenance.

Comments

Hi Rochelle,

What an interesting article. My grandfather had Parkinsons and passed many many years ago. I wish technology had come that far back then. My step-daughters Step Dad has an implant stimulator in his head that helps his body movements tremendously. Glad to see that we are getting closer and closer to managing/stopping the advance of both Parkinsons and Alzheimers.

take care

Deb 

Hi,

How good to get your message and see your picture!!   We miss you in Florida.

I never thought of the technological aspect of Deep Brain Stimulation.  Certainly, I thought of it as a treatment, but didn't pick up on the technology aspect until I read your message.  How interesting!   That would make an interesting, new discussion thread.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME