The Role of Culture in Education

Culture is crucial in education it envelopes a wealth of information..  To deny culture is to deny our very existence.

Having studies this lesson, it has made me see the importance of making a point to include our experiences

as it relates to the topic that is taught.  As simple as calling each other by name and sharing life experiences.

Comments

In my ESL Adult Literacy Class, I discovered a way to celebrate different cultures by having everyone share what they did that weekend by showing the class pictures that they have taken on their cell phones. It started by students naturally sharing pictures with their friends on Monday morning before class. Now it is something that everyone prepares to present. Students have shared  pictures of big events like: weddings, New year celebrations, parties, trips, festivals and graduations. However, the best pictures come from everyday life like: shopping in Chinese markets, cooking, riding bikes in the park, gardening and playing with their children. It gives us a glimpse into each other's lives.  We get to see the differences, but we also discover that we are not so different.