Adult Citizenship Education

Hello, and welcome to our discussion on adult citizenship education. This week we look forward to sharing information about adult citizenship education, the naturalization test teaching objectives, contextualized instruction and resources to help learners prepare for the interview and test, and promising practices from the field.

Today, we would like to show the general requirements for the naturalization process, define adult citizenship education, and describe the naturalization test. This should provide a helpful overview for our discussion during the week.

The Naturalization Process

For an adult immigrant to become a U.S. citizen, he or she must go through the process of naturalization. General requirements for naturalization call for the immigrant to:

• Be at least 18 years old at the time of filing the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400)
  • Be a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States
  • At the time of filing, have been a permanent residents in the United States for at least 5 years
  • Have demonstrated continuous permanent residence
  • Have demonstrated physical presence
  • Have lived within the State or USCIS District for at least 3 months prior to filing
  • Have demonstrated good moral character
  • Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideas of the U.S. Constitution
  • Demonstrate an ability to read, write, speak, and understand basic English
  • Demonstrate a basic knowledge of U.S. history, government, and civic principles
  • Take an oath of allegiance to the United States
  • Receive a Certificate of Naturalization

What is Adult Citizenship Education?

US Citizenship and Immigration Services defines adult citizenship education as follows: Adult citizenship education provides the content knowledge and English language skills needed to prepare for naturalization.

The Naturalization Test

During the naturalization interview, a USCIS Officer will ask questions about an applicant’s Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and background. An applicant will also take an English and civics test unless he or she qualifies for an exemption or waiver. The English test has three components: reading, writing, and speaking. The civics test covers important U.S. history, U.S. government and integrated civics topics. A USCIS Officer conducts the naturalization interview and test.

Speaking Test

A USCIS Officer will determine an applicant’s ability to speak English during the eligibility interview on the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. An applicant must sufficiently demonstrate his or her ability to respond meaningfully to questions normally asked from this form.

Reading Test

An applicant must read aloud one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to read in English. The Reading Test Vocabulary List will help your students study for the English reading portion of the naturalization test. The content focuses on civics and history topics.

Writing Test

An applicant must write one out of three sentences to correctly demonstrate an ability to write in English. The Writing Test Vocabulary List will help your students study for the English writing portion of the naturalization test. The content focuses on civics and history topics.

Civics Test

There are 100 possible civics questions on the naturalization test. During an applicant’s interview, he or she will be asked up to 10 questions from the list of 100 questions. An applicant must answer correctly six of the 10 questions.

An applicant will be given two opportunities to take the English and civics test and answer all questions relating to his or her naturalization application in English. If the applicant fails any of the tests at the initial interview, he or she will be retested on the portion the applicant failed (English or civics) between 60 and 90 days from the date of the initial interview.

You can learn more about the naturalization test, and other naturalization information here.

What do you think are the content knowledge and English language skills needed to prepare for naturalization? How would you teach those skills?

Comments

AWESOME TIP SHEETS!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Recently, I attended a USCIS training session at the CASAS Summer Institute, San Diego.  The afternoon session on Pronunciation blew my mind!.  Is their anyway to post a series of 10-15 min teacher training videos to the USCIS YouTube videos (especially the Pronunciation wkshp)?  I am also interested in citizenship TPR activities.  Thanks!

EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION FREEEEEEEEEED THE SLAVES!

Hi, Jennifer, and everyone.

You talk about a pronunciation workshop given by USCIS at the CASAS Summer Inistitute in San Diego. Could you tell us a little about the workshop? What kind of activities were done? (I assume that lengthening the /i/ sound  in  "Freed the the Slaves" was one! )

Jennifer, you ask about posting the workshop on UTube, which may or may not be possible. I'm wondering, Paul, if you could share information with us about upcoming trainings and/or how programs can find out about and access these trainings?

Finally, to repeat Jennifer's questions, does anyone have suggestions for TPR activities to use in citizenship instruction?

Miriam

The following is a “twitter-feed” by @uscitizenpod (Jennifer Gagliardi) of the CASAS 2014 Summer Institute Workshop: B10 Exploring Effective Approaches to Improve Pronunciation 06/17/14  2-4 pm  DOWNLOAD PDF: http://traffic.libsyn.com/uscitizenpod/uscis-pronunciation.pdf

In this session the team of Dr. Michael Jones and Donna Vanderhoff demonstrate how to teach pronunciation for citizenship from a brain-based perspective. They also introduce various approaches through modeling and provide insight into their methodological effectiveness. The implications of pronunciation practice within the comprehensive curriculum will be discussed.
  • ·        Michael Jones, Office of Citizenship, USCIS, Dept. of Homeland Security, DC
  • ·        Donna Vanderhoff, Office of Citizenship, USCIS, Dept. of Homeland Security, DC

I also have draft copies of the materials from this workshop that I have rec'd permission to share--I will scan and upload them to uscitizenpod.com

Hi Paul,

A couple of questions came up during our citizenship class this evening. 

1) Is there a possibility that the government will stop giving fee waivers?

2) We have a student that is waiting for his green card and needs to travel back home with a family emergency.  What is the best way for him to deal with this--a visa permit from USCIS? 

This has been very informative in regards to prepping students for citizenship.  When I work with students, I really emphasize the need for memorization and making connections as I and other students drill them, so they understand the work must come from them.  I show them the interview  video we discuss the application and pertinent vocabulary.  Then we practice writing, reading, and spelling the words necessary according to USCIS. Then holding various conversations with other people is crucial as the student needs to understand variation of accents and the speed with which others may speak.  I will use males and females to drill them.  We talk about family, jobs, holidays, people in the news, and basic local government issues.  But mainly focus on content of the 100 questions, writing practice sentences, and speaking about the form 400.  Thank you for all the information everyone.  It helps to share.  There are a lot of resources that are out there, but I have found the kit and website from USCIS provides me with the tools I need.

Hi, Everyone -

For the speaking test, as we mentioned before, a USCIS Officer will determine an applicant’s ability to speak English during the eligibility interview on the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. An applicant must sufficiently demonstrate his or her ability to respond meaningfully to questions normally asked from this form.

There are some interactive practice tests to help your students prepare. The Understanding Commands is a listening activity that has commands an applicant may hear during the naturalization interview. There are also two practice tests for vocabulary on the naturalization interview. Self-Test 1 is a reading activity, and Self-Test 2 is a reading and listening activity. Both of these present words and phrases that an applicant may read on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, or hear during the naturalization interview.

Has anyone used these interactive practice tests with their students? If so, how did you integrate them into your classrooms?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi, Paul, and everyone:

I tried the interactive tests yesterday and think they would be really good for student self study at home. In the classroom you might need multiple computers, unless you decide to have your students use their personal technology devices.  It's fun, and there is immediate knowledge of results, so that's good. In the Understanding Commands test you click on the picture that represents what the interviewer (narrator) is saying, such as, "Sign here on this line" or "Please come with me."  Of course if you have only one student - which is a model followed in many programs, especially those staffed by volunteers --you could work with the student on the tests, pointing out cultural info present in the Understanding Commands pictures as well, such as the shaking hands, smiling, posture, and so on during the interviewers. Thumbs up from me.

If you haven't clicked on the links to the practice tests I recommend you try them. And let us know how you might use them with your students.

Miriam

'

Thank you for this opportunity to discuss effective ways to conduct citizenship classes.  I am teaching citizenship classes under a USCIS citizenship grant that includes collaboration with an organization that provides free legal counseling for low income individuals who wish to apply for U.S. citizenship.  Pre- and post-testing is required, and I've been using CASAS or TABE reading tests, as appropriate, to meet the testing requirement.  I'm not really teaching, as such, so it's hard to make level gains.  I'm wondering if the CASAS Citizenship pre- and post-tests qualify under this grant.  This test wouldn't qualify under our state's ABE requirements, but, perhaps, they'd qualify under the grant.  What are your thoughts and experience with this particular CASAS test?  Even if it doesn't qualify for grant purposes, what has the experience been for using this CASAS test to measure learning and to inform teaching?

Thank you.

Sheryl

Hi, Everyone -

It's great to read how you're preparing your students for the naturalization test, as well as the activities that you have developed for the classroom. Has anyone used Preparing for the Oath to help prepare students for the civics portion of the naturalization test? It’s an interactive learning tool that features videos and multimedia activities that showcase artifacts from the Smithsonian Institution’s collections and exhibitions. There are 15 thematic units that cover each of the 100 questions and answers on the civics portion of the test. A section for teachers provides materials and strategies to use Preparing for the Oath in a classroom setting.

Thanks,

Paul

We certainly use the videos, images, and interactive quizzes from Preparing for the Oath!   The videos provide an important audiovisual supplement to several lessons, and allow for a bit of variety in the classroom.

We have, however, run up against technology setbacks - in classrooms without wifi, or with a very low-bandwidth internet connection.  We have still referred students to the site, and used screenshots to explain its utility and the best ways to study using the site - however, a CD-Rom or App version of the site would be incredibly useful!   Do USCIS and the Smithsonian have plans to release any downloadable videos or some kind of non web-based version of these materials?  Honestly, even a set of image files from the videos could be put into a Powerpoint presentation to be used in a lower-tech classroom.

For those of you who only occasionally use the site or haven't used it much, I have also found the Teacher resources to be quite useful - the  Teacher Guides, the Transcripts of the videos, and even the Wordlist of vocabulary used in the videos. In the Teacher Guides, you can find some of the images, worksheets and activities, and even full lesson plans about some of the topics.  There is supplemental information and plenty of interesting background info for several of the topics, which can be an excellent way to engage higher-level students.  Check it out!

Hi,

Thank you for letting us know about the technology issues. At this time, there are no plans for downloadable videos or image files. However, you may be able to find learning resources from the Smithsonian’s History Explorer. It offers free lesson plans, primary sources, and learning interactivities.

It's great that the Teacher resources have been so useful!

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks, Paul!

I've also used this site before - and I found a chart that correlates grade levels (like those found on the Smithsonian History Explorer) to NRS English levels and CASAS scores.  Thought it could be useful; basically, the K-2 corresponds to Beginning ESL, the 3-5 corresponds to Intermediate ESL, and anything in the 6-8 or 9-12 categories would be useful for an Advanced ESL student or higher.

Hi Paul & Miriam,

I just looked at the Interactive Tests.  Last year, our curriculum followed the history of America from its founding up to

the 1900's.  We could certainly have used the tests as confirmation of their learning in the various eras and ages of

U.S. history.  I would like to use them this year as we continue our learning of US History up through the present.

I like this site.  Is it accessible to our students in school and at home?

Dotti

Hi, all.

I went through some of the interactive exercises and was struck by the Americana that is present in  iconic photos and drawings from the Smithsonian  such as the Norman Rockwell painting of the man standing up at the town meeting, a drawing of Martin Luther King, and so on. I think it would be good to go through the exercises together in class first, as there is a lot of discussion that could be sparked by the ballot box, the old voting booth, and other artifacts depicted. These could spark discussions on how the tools and processes are similar and different in countries the students are familiar with. Also, for students who want to test their listening, you can turn the caption off of the practice questions as they are asked.

Then, with the four interactive practice exercises I noticed that some of the questions were much harder than the others. For example, I almost got stumped by a couple of the "all of the above"  and the "none of the above" options - an opportunity to discuss test taking strategies!

Thoughts, anyone?

Miriam

Hi, everyone.

Welcome to day five, the final day we have the expertise of Paul Kim from USCIS here to talk with us about  resources available to teachers and programs for adult citizenship education.  Many of you have shared your expertise and I  know that many more of you have enjoyed reading the postings.

On this last day, it would be great to hear any questions you might have about resources, instruction, and professional development. It would also be good to hear about resources and strategies you use in the classroom.

I have a question for the community: What professional development (PD) is provided to citizenship teachers in your program?  What kind of PD would you like to receive?

Miriam

Hi, Everyone -

Thanks, Miriam, for the questions about resources, strategies, and PD. It would be great to get the community's feedback. Here are a couple helpful PD resources:

EL/Civics Online is a free resource to help ESL instructors and volunteers incorporate EL/Civics content into adult ESL classrooms. There are four main modules (U.S. History, U.S. Government, Civic Engagement, and The Naturalization Process), as well as supplemental content modules and tutorials. There is also a Master Teacher course.

Another helpful online resource is Adult Citizenship Education Strategies for Volunteers. This resource presents a series of eight training modules designed to provide volunteers with a basic understanding of adult second language acquisition and the naturalization process, including the interview and test.

Thanks,

Paul

The Minnesota Literacy Council has a WONDERFUL set of resources, from lesson plans and curricula to training modules and links to external resources.

I also refer teachers, volunteers and more to the USCIS Citizenship Foundation Skills and Knowledge Clusters document, which provides an overview of the types of information that will need to be learned and a good list of resources to use in teaching.

Hi, Emily -

Glad you liked the Citizenship Foundation Skills and Knowledge Clusters booklet! Another helpful resource is the Elements of Program Quality for Adult Citizenship Education. It is for both program administrators and teachers when designing, enhancing, or evaluating their adult citizenship programs. The "External Resources" section includes a description and link to the Minnesota Literacy Council.

This has been a great opportunity to talk this week about adult citizenship education with everyone. Thank you for sharing your strategies for preparing your students for the naturalization interview and test. I hope we were able to share useful resources and information from the USCIS website.

You can find the resources I have described this week on the USCIS Citizenship Resource Center. It is our one-stop resource for locating citizenship preparation materials and activities. You can find lesson plans, information about training seminars, professional development tools and materials, as well as supplemental resource links to many excellent instructional resource to help you with your citizenship lessons. You can also learn about the Citizenship and Integration Grant Program to promote civic integration and prepare permanent residents for citizenship.

Please sign up for free email updates to receive important USCIS news and information (including citizenship and the Citizenship Resource Center) as soon as it’s available; and follow The Beacon, the official blog of USCIS.

Thanks again for the wonderful week!

Paul

Thank you, Paul, for  the information and resources you shared with us on the naturalization process and the citizenship test.

Thank you also, to all of you who shared your strategies and resources.

This has been a rich discussion and there is a treasure chest of ideas here in this thread (to mix a couple of metaphors). I know I haven't truly absorbed all the jewels that are here. The good news is that even though Paul won't be here to answer questions and direct us to websites and online resources, the discussion thread remains here in the on LINCS community. I am sure many of us will go back to it to find resources and to access the strategies described by community members. I also want to invite everyone  to continue to post to the discussion thread as you find, adapt, or develop strategies and resources to use in citizenship education.

Anyone living in or near Austin, TX, Nashville, TN, Phoenix, or New York, NY?  I opened the link to training seminars and see upcoming trainings scheduled in those cities in the upcoming weeks.  I went to the training in Fairfax, VA, last August, given by Michael Jones and Donna Vanderhoff and found it informative,stimulating, and very hands on. (They also gave us lots of teaching materials such as the flash cards.)

Thanks again to Paul Kim and USCIS and to all of  you.

Miriam

Dear Miriam:  Thank for this post.  I was just going to ask that very question or how long I had to copy and past everything to be able to retain it for future reference.  Thank goodness for Paul, Yourself, and those who have shared their experiences and resources in this training.  This summer we have done something different from our usual regular classes.  My summer sessions are 4-3 hour classes per week on a single theme.  Session I was Community Resources.  Session II is Health.  Each lesson plan includes a U.S. History and Civics lesson (including Naturalization preparation). segment and final element called:  Ticket Out the Door where the students are asked to write one sentence about something they learned from the class that day.  Interestingly,  I have been able to use many of the resources you and Paul provided in addition to the measly ones I had found at the time I prepared the lesson plans.  And, most of the Out the Door sentences have been from  the civics and history materials.  Both students who are hoping to test soon because their waiting period is complete and those who still have quite a while before they can hope to test seem to be authentically grateful for theses lessons and the resources from the USCIS.  I'm blessed to have the opportunity to share these with them.  Thank You!

Loretta Pedrami

ESL Instructor

Literacy Council of SWLA, Inc.