Resource Spotlight - Your Health: The Science Inside

Susan's post about the Mass ABE Science Curriculum Framework reminded me of another great LINCS resource:

Your Health: The Science Inside

This is an interesting read! It discusses the history of disease management and healthcare and also the scientific process. Then it relates both of these to how we can take care of our own health in today's world. It's a good way to connect science and health by showing us how knowledge of science can help us understand our health and why we take certain actions.

It's written at about a 9th grade level, so it's challenging, but uses an engaging easygoing style and has lots of pictures. I like it because it makes science both interesting and relevant to immediate health needs!

Here are some examples of the topics covered and how they can help improve students' health literacy:

• There is a section called Understanding the role of germs. This can help students to understand disease and treatment.
  • The role of antibiotics and vaccines and Improvements in detection can help students to think critically about using these treatments and tests to keep their family healthy.
  • The unequal impact of disease can be a good starting point for discussions and writings on our place and our responsibilities in a multi-cultural, and stratified world.
  • And finally, Taking charge of your own health can inspire students to plan ways to use information they have to make changes in their life to stay healthier.

Take a look and let us know what you think about how this could be used with different levels of ABE classes!

Best,

Julie

Comments

Julie, thanks for suggesting this resource!  I think it is great in a number of ways:  it provides ways of doing all the things that you suggest in your post, it is a good springboard to topics that are usually a part of high school equivalency exams, and it has an extensive list of web resources and a glossary. The resource starts right out in a compelling way, with a typical story of a family's health issues in 1850 compared to typical stories from today.  I also like the sections on "Questions to ask before taking part in research studies" and "Things to know about evaluating medical resources on the Web." 

With health issues in the news today, especially the concerns about the Ebola virus and transmission, this resource is valuable!  (The producer and sponsor of the document and the rest of the series is the American Association for the Advancement of Science").  We'd love to hear how this might be used in ABE/ASE classes!

Susan