Digital badges for adult learners or for professional development?

Colleagues,

It has been nearly nine months since the discussion in the LINCS Technology CoP about digital badges. I am wondering if adult basic education (including ESOL/ESL) programs or schools, state level adult education units, professional developers, private not-for-profit or for-profit organizations, postsecondary education institutions, job training programs or others have developed digital badges for adult learners or their teachers. If so, I would love to hear about them here or, if you prefer, email me.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

We've been looking into this for professional development here in Texas, but haven't started using them yet.  I'd love to hear what other folks have done / are doing, if anything.

Glenda L. Rose

Hello Glenda,

The only example I am aware of specifically for adult education practitioners or learners is the Northstar Digital Literacy Assessment http://digitalliteracyassessment.org/news.php?i=19. Since June they have offered digital badges for people who take the assessment through sponsored programs. Although I believe that most of their sponsored assessment programs are in their home state, Minnesota, adult education programs, state adult education units and other organizations in other states could for a modest annual fee become a sponsor, and offer digital badges and/or certificates.

I have had conversations with professional developers who think digital badges might be useful in adult basic education professional development. I wonder if any professional development organizations are planning to offer practitioners digital badges, or already offer them.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

David, Thank you for bringing up the issue of digital badges again. The Northstar digital project is especially useful since everyone needs technology skills today. Having a means to demonstrate those skills is valuable. Through Northstar learners have the opportunity to develop and demonstrate their tech skills by earning certificates and badges. It would be great to see many adult ed providers becoming sponsors of this site, so they could begin offering certificates and badges to the learners they serve.

As far as using badges for professional development, it seems to me they can serve a similar useful purpose.

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, Assessment CoP