Health Insurance for Immigrants

Here's an article about how hard it is to get the word out about signing up for health insurance to people who are new to the U.S. 

What's Next for Obamacare in New York?

How can we reach people and help them learn about their healthcare options without making them afraid of a deportation disaster? The fact is that there are some options, even for people who are not legal residents. As adult educators, we are likely to have people in our classes who may want some answers.

My question to you all is:

Do you know of any resources--even short posters or fact sheets or YouTube videos--that adult learners could find useful?

We have shared some other resources in the Group before, but I'm checking in again to see if anyone has found a new resource of any kind.

Thanks!

Comments

Here are some resources shared on another list. They were created using health literacy principles.

Thanks for posting these resources, Julie. I have a couple of thoughts:

1. The websites have good information but the print is tiny and the pages are dense. I recommend instructors use this info for lessons by first showing the web page (if they have access in their classes, although most people do have personal devices like smartphone that could be used as well). Then, the teacher can blow up the text so it is readable and go through all or part of it with his or her students, building background, and unpacking vocabulary and structures as needed, and so on.

2. Okay, now we get to what's in a name. I think it's really unfortunate that the Affordable Healthcare Act is referred to frequently as Obamacare (see photo on website shared above). It makes the act sound like it's just a political ploy, something that will go away when the administration changes. It minimizes it and its importance. Okay, I'll just finish by saying that talking about the name and nickname and their connotations, etc., would be a good discussion in a high level ESL or ABE/HSE class, wouldn't it? It would be a good practice for building critical thinking skills and talking about complex ideas while using academic vocabulary and structures.

What do you all think?

Miriam Burt

SME adult ELL CoP

Hi Miriam,

I'm not sure which website you are talking about. Please clarify, if you could, thanks! I had meant the article to be just a heads-up for teachers, maybe to start discussion.

As for the name, I think it would be very interesting to have a discussion about the name "Obamacare" vs. others for the ACA. In some ways, I think that Obamacare is more familiar at this point to many people and may add a tone that is more friendly than the rather  long "Affordable Care Act." But that's just my assumption. I would love it if teachers out there could share their students thoughts about this!

Thanks for the ideas!

Hi, Julie, and all.

I looked at all the sites you posted (and thanks). I think my comment was about those you linked to in your opening post on this thread .  But, as you said, that was not a post for students, but rather for information for teachers. This is such an important topic for all. Health care is huge for all people at all ages, and I think an important takeaway from the post on NY is that immigrants - whether documented or not - should check into what they and their families actually may qualify for.

Miriam