Developing students' digital literacy

Hi all ,

I just came across an interesting breakdown of what skills comprise digital literacy.  Below is the beginning of the article and you can get to the whole article at this link http://www.jisc.ac.uk/guides/developing-students-digital-literacy.  Are these the skills you include in your definition of digital literacy?

best,

Nell

Developing students' digital literacy

4 April 2014

The issue

Even today’s students need support with some areas of digital practice, particularly in an academic context, so it’s important to make sure that these needs are met.

While employability is an obvious driver, developing students who can learn and thrive in a digital society is a key role for universities and colleges.

We define digital literacies as the capabilities which fit someone for living, learning and working in a digital society. To help with thinking about this, we have outlined seven elements of digital literacy for consideration, which can be seen in the following diagram.

seven elements of digital literacy

Comments

I really like this - I think it demonstrates just how diverse and complex the concept of "digital literacy" is.

While I guess you could argue that it is included within one or more of these categories, particularly Information literacy, I would prefer to see a more explicit/clear reference to intellectual property rights issues. Being respectful (and legal) in the use of others' work, as well as thoughtfully managing your own creations is a KEY digital Literacy skill. 

I'm also not sure that the critical ability to adapt and synthesize/remix others' work, and to create products (original or derivative) collaboratively is really very clear. The diagram does contain "Communication and Collaboration: Participate in digital networks for learning and Resaearch" and "Media Literacy: Creatively Produce Academic and professional Communications..."  but not a clear "overlap" of the two. Hmmm...perhaps the "overlap" is the issue. Maybe this visual model would be better if it illustrated that these are not discrete skills, but overlapping or connecting skills?

But these are, in my opinion, suggestions that might make a great thing EVEN better/more accurate.  Using this as a guide in designing instruction/curriculum would, I feel, really advance adult learners' ability to "Problem Solve in Technology-Rich Environments."

Hi Nell and others,

The context for this framework of digital literacy skills is higher education in the U.K. I think the higher education context in the U.S. is not that dissimilar and that this framework would be worthwhile considering for that context. What is the digital skills needs context, however, for adult basic skills learners? Skills for daily living and functioning of the learners and perhaps their families? Skills needed to get and advance on a job? For some, preparation for post-secondary education? Also, the context in which they learn -- because the services of most adult basic skills programs are limited by funding and by the amount of time working adult learners have available to go to class -- is different from many post-secondary education settings. So while I think  some of this framework is relevant, overall, it's too much, and some of the skills may be too advanced.

Do we have a framework yet for digital literacy skills in adult basic skills education in the U.S.? Perhaps the Northstar Digital Literacy Assessment. Perhaps the Teknimedia assessment and course curriculum. Perhaps others, but nothing that yet rises to the CCR standards level and that addresses the kinds of skills needed to do well on the PIAAC PST-RE Survey of Adult Skills. Most important, I don't think we yet know what  literacy and PST-RE skills American employers believe their entry-level employees need. We need a better handle on that first as for most adult learners getting and advancing on a job is their main concern and, while they know that digital literacy skills are needed to do that, they -- and we -- may not know which digital literacy skills are most important to employers.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

David,

I've run through all the modules in the Northstar Digital Literacy Assessment, and I would say that they are really not quite enough for adult learners looking to transition to college or career.  Certainly we would want folks to have *at least* this level of skill in these areas. but the assessment standards on which it is based are, I think, too basic. In addition, this assessment tool is designed such that it is relatively easy to "guess right" on many questions. I really think we'd want something more robust to work with. {This might be an excellent "pre-test" for folks entering into AE, however.]

I tried to pull up the Teknimedia site today - and got a "server not found" error. I've looked at their IC3-based training before and hope this is a "today glitch" only and not an indication that this resource, like so many is now gone...

Hopefully, when the PIAAC assessment tool is released in the spring we can get a better idea of the framework used in it's design and/or be able to design a framework based on that tool.

Another possible resource for this purpose, however, is the Equipped for the Future Performance Continua for both Use Information and Communications Technology and Solve Problems and Make Decisions.  Designed specifically for adult literacy learners, I think it is flexible enough to be expanded to include a wide range of specific technology skills at each level (as it seems like new ones are created every day!)

Hi Duren,

I’m glad to report that Teknimedia (www.teknimedia.com) is alive and well providing performance-based digital literacy assessments & instruction for IC3 certification, 2014 GED test prep and general computer skills. I’m sorry you had problems accessing our web site yesterday. If you’d like to evaluate any of our products, please feel free to contact me directly at aharris@teknimedia.com or 1-888-210-0899.

Ann Harris

Director, Sales & Marketing 

Thanks Ann,

So, from the Teknimedia site, here is what is available to the public regarding their' Digital literacy" standards:

All of which is based on the "Internet and Computing Core Certification" (IC3) standards - used by Certiport and thus by Teknimedia as well.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC3_%28certification%29

Again, based only on these objectives, I would say that these are a good solid *basis* for adult education, but perhaps don't really get deep enough to assess mastery of "Solve problems in a Technology-rich environment."  For example, " Identify the safe, appropriate, and ethical usage of the Internet and software"  does not really help you answer:  "How do I create and upload to the web an image, sound file, or video?"  The focus seems to be on knowing the rules - not real-world application of problem solving skills for online collaboration and creation.

That's why I like the framework that Nell posted - while it is designed for University-level population, it is fairly comprehensive. I can easily see how to adapt it to College and Career readiness for adult learners.  Perhaps even just a change in the jargon/language used might help move it closer to what the field needs?

As we explore various tools and frameworks for defining and assessing “digital literacy,” I thought it might be helpful to offer some additional information about the IC3 certification “standard” for those who aren’t familiar with IC3. I’d also like to clarify Teknimedia’s role in providing digital literacy assessment/instruction and preparing students for IC3 certification.

Certiport & IC3 Certification

The skills/concepts included in the IC3 standard are determined by Certiport and the members of its Global Digital Literacy Council. The latest version of the IC3 standard, IC3 GS4 (Global Standard 4), represents the fourth time that the IC3 standard has been updated to reflect changes in technology and digital literacy. There are literally hundreds of digital literacy skills and concepts covered by IC3 GS4 broken into three content areas/exams:  Computing Fundamentals, Key Applications and Living Online.

While IC3 may not cover all of the areas of digital literacy included in the framework from the U.K. that Nell introduced us to in her posting on October 7th, the IC3 standard is, nonetheless, comprehensive and detailed. 

Teknimedia’s Role in Digital Literacy

Since our founding in 1995, Teknimedia has been dedicated to developing technology-based assessment and instructional materials to help bridge the digital divide and improve the computer knowledge and skills of teens and adults. 

Our role in IC3 preparation and certification is limited to that of an “approved IC3 courseware provider” and we play no role in defining the IC3 standard.  We are one of several publishers who have developed instructional materials to help students prepare for the IC3 exams. The links that Duren provided in her posting connect to the table of contents for the courses included in our PCIC3 Series for IC3 preparation.    

In addition to our PCIC3 Series, Teknimedia offers a customizable, digital literacy assessment tool called Total TekAssess and our Computer Literacy Series (CLS) that teaches essential computer knowledge and skills needed in today's digital world. The majority of our adult education and literacy customers use CLS to provide digital literacy instruction to their students.

We look forward to further discussions about how best to define, assess and improve the digital literacy knowledge and skills of adult education students.

Ann Harris

A few questions on related topics:

What grade would you give our field for how we are doing increasing digital literacy, whatever your definition of it is?  

Do all your learners have more or less equal access to digital content after they leave your computer lab or classroom?

How do you think learners are fairing with digital inclusion in the community you serve?  

How well are libraries able to fill any gap? Do you know if your adult learners are taking full advantage of libraries? 

Steve Quann

World Education, Inc.