Middle-range young adults with disabilities need life skills

Hi group members,

I just read a fascinating letter to the editor printed in The Miami Herald, the largest newspaper in South Florida.  It is on the topic of skills needed for young adults with disabilities and should resonate with our subscribers.  I have copied the letter below. The writer of the letter is Gregory Bush, President of the Nature Links for Lifelong Learning in Miami, Florida.

After the end of high school, by law 22 years of age, young adults with intellectual disabilities generally live in a never-never land. Their continuing needs for educational enrichment, life skills and for job readiness is in need of far more sustained attention and funding.

The transition from high school should stretch throughout their lives, addressing their largely overlooked needs to develop independent life skills in order for them to become more functional human beings. There are thousands of young adults with intellectual disabilities over 22 years of age — the middle range — beyond whose needs are not being met. They do not fit into either the category of mere life skills training nor in highly targeted vocational training programs. They and their parents are in desperate need of continuing educational programs to enhance their wellness, their relationship to the natural world and to help them fulfill their social lives.

In the past, local parks and recreation programs as well as other community agencies provided some recreational programing for this “middle range” group. Currently, parks and recreational and community based programs have changed their service provision, increasing programing for only those with eligibility for Life Skills training funds. On the other side, adult vocational training programs have changed the entry-level skills training to a level that is too high for most “middle rangers.”

Parallel to this set of problems is a distinct lack of systematic tracking of the population after age 22. They become lost to the system beyond SSI benefits and their civil rights are systematically being violated. The prevalent state focus of funding is primarily focused on vocational rehabilitation for those able to train and get a job or adult day training facilities through Med Waiver funding or Adults With Disabilities. Far too many fall between these bureaucratic cracks. This problem needs to be addressed.

One or more small conferences should be held this fall with expert providers, special education professionals, parents, legislators, as well as non-profit and business leaders to address legislative needs in the forthcoming session and forge a new path for this population of the middle range. Focus should also be placed on comparative state and international programs and existing federal guidelines.

Greater collaboration between nonprofit and government agencies should be instituted with a focus on parental outreach to share program information, funding sources and financial criteria online, in print and at selected public offices.

Overall, we urge that greater state legislative attention and resources be provided behind the civil rights of young adults with disabilities in order to provide them with more appropriate continuing education, expert advice, recreational opportunities, immersion in the natural world, and internships in local nonprofits and businesses, while also facilitating entrepreneurship and preparing students for work.

What are your thoughts about the ideas he expressed?

Thanks for sharing by commenting below.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Comments

Rochelle and all,

Dr.Bush, the author of the article has been fighting for this cause for years. He is correct in his statements concerning the lack of appropriate response by not only government services but by educational services as well. I think this situation highlights the changing structure of adult education. We are now limiting ourselves (or our funding stream is limiting us ) in the provision of adult education services. As most of us may remember , our services, at one time, included life long learning that supported a larger population in our communities beyond formal GED and post-secondary vocational goals. The federal government now finds itself in a situation where many young people are on social security benefits and the traditional educational structure to support them in either life long learning or pathways to employment training have been dismantled. The cost savings in even providing adult education exposure to individuals who will not participate in work activities is significant. Repeated studies provide information on reduced medical and other social services cost that make the adult education ROI clear.  One unique aspect of the situation described above is the organization Dr. Bush runs, Nature Links, (of which I am a board member) has worked very hard to access adult education services. The general fear associated with providing life long learning adult education services in a GED/psav world can be daunting. I am wondering, as Rochelle has discussed above, do we, as adult education, have a role to play in this situation?

Hi Robin,

Thanks for commenting and sharing your point of view on this message.  You and I are both Floridians and have seen how public funding for this population has changed over the years.

I would like to invite Dr. Bush to respond to this discussion thread.  Will you please pass on the invitation to him?

Thanks so much,

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hi Robin,

Thanks so much for contacting Dr. Bush and inviting him to join our discussion strand.  He communicated with me yesterday and told me about his difficulty getting into the community.  I contacted the Help Desk yesterday to ask them for assistance.  I haven't heard anything since then, but will follow up myself.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hello All,

Dr. Bush's letter is fascinating.  I find there are many applications in the points he makes directly relating to corrections classrooms.  These "middle range" students abound in the criminal justice system.  Many times they end up adjudicated and serving time without ever having been diagnosed, and once within the criminal justice system, those needs often again go un-diagnosed and un-met.  As Dr. Bush suggests, there must be a unified and comprehensive response to this disturbing trend by legislators and state administrators. I had not realized the extent to which services, funding and benefits for this population had morphed and/or disappeared over the course of the last decade. It's a problem that, at best, leaves a portion of our population in what Dr. Bush terms "never-never land," and at worst leaves members of that same population serving time behind bars when what they truly need are focused and prioritized learning opportunities that bolster their ability to function and participate in their communities.

-- Heather Erwin

Hi Heather,

Thanks for this interesting message.  You and I have spoken before about all the similar interests that our Corrections and Disabilities group members have.

I have invited Dr. Gregory Bush, the author of the above article to respond to this discussion strand.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hi Heather,

Good point!  

I have such respect for people that write letters to the editor in support of disability issues.  It is so important to keep the needs of this population in the public eye.  Once he is able to join our group and read this strand, he will see your comment about addressing secure settings as well.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Sorry for the delay in responding. WE started Nature Links (with Miami Dade County Public Schools and Shake a Leg Miami) back in 2007 for the 18-22 yr old population, then placed another focus on the 22- 30 year olds starting in 2012.  WE now have three programs in the Miami area with multiple partners and you can see what we are up to through our website and Facebook page at www.naturelinks.net  Much of what I have learned about the system has been related to finding a place for my daughter who is quite high functioning but on the Autism spectrum etc. I have found that so much of the money is for highly focused job training but generally negates the need for continuing education.  It is a major civil rights issue to me.  Most of this target population are years behind their peers in many social/educational aspects of life and need independent life skills and sparks for their intellectual curiosity, as well as job training.  I have found that so many so called experts think that these young adults have zoned out of school by 22. They are no longer tracked and its hard to find out who they are. The TV and internet is the drug of convenience for so many parents and students but that does a huge disservice.  I firmly believe - shown in the work of Richard Louv (Last Child in the Woods) that infusing curiosity about the natural world in many different ways can be an amazing stimulus for many.  At Nature Links, we have created organic gardens, a food truck, and engaged in art projects, have brought in speakers on marine life, listening skills, and gotten the students to begin to shoot and edit video of the presenters.I am an historian and try to infuse some local history from time to time. Ultimately, we are trying to empower these students and it seems to be working.  We have had a number of volunteers help us as well as a very skilled Chef, former head of the Miami Culinary Institute of Miami Dade College named John Richards. I believe that our students can be models of wellness and a healthier style of life as they grow a more fulfilling lifelong sense of community. WE try and champion the unique abilities of each student but it takes time- time to listen and understand each of them and their needs, time to experiment with different educational modules- and time to find funding and the right staff.  WE hope to have the students be involved in producing the educational modules in the coming months.  We need to move way beyond the bureaucratic funding boxes and the never never land that so many of these young adults live in. That's my initial two cents. 

Hi Dr. Bush,

Thanks for your follow up to the letter to the editor I posted.  It explains so much more about why you started Nature Links.  What I found so interesting is that not only do you focus on the 18-22 year-old population as most programs do, but also the 22-30 year olds.  In my experience, that is unusual.  Maybe in large metropolitan areas as in Miami-Dade County, it is easier to accomplish.  In the future, do you think you might increase to above 30 years of age?

What we know as practitioners in the field is that our 'customers' learn more when they experience, explore, manipulate, experiment, discover, and create, etc.,   From what you have included in your message, the programs you have created through Nature Links accomplish all those objectives.

Do you have a venue to sell the products developed by your students?

From my knowledge of the history of our field, it goes without saying that what you have accomplished is due to your being an advocate and the parent of a child with a disability.  

I am interested in your comment about about your students' involvement in producing the educational modules in the coming months.  Can you tell us more about that?

Also, what are some of your other goals for the future of your program?  

Thanks for sharing information about Nature Links.  Anything else you can tell us will be much appreciated.  For those families/professionals in the south Florida area that might want to contact you for more information about admission, who should they contact?

Do any of our group members live in states that offer a program like this??

Thanks,

Rochelle Kenyon, Subject Matter Expert

Disabilities in Adult Education

In the future, do you think you might increase to above 30 years of age?

-We might.  30 yrs of age is not etched in stone.  WE just wanted to have a roughly targeted population over 22 yet not much older than 30 or so.

What we know as practitioners in the field is that our 'customers' learn more when they experience, explore, manipulate, experiment, discover, and create, etc.,   From what you have included in your message, the programs you have created through Nature Links accomplish all those objectives.

-Yes that is the idea.  Not just book learning and educational boxes but a variety of experiences.  Today the students were working with an artist in making clay masks-which they will pain on Monday.  Then we will look cross culturally at masks through time (in a powerpoint) and what they have meant to different people.hich they will pain on Monday.  Then we will look cross culturally at masks through time (in a powerpoint) and what they have meant to different people.  WE try to also teach some entrepreneurial/money skills as we go along as well.  Ultimately they are independent life skills.

Do you have a venue to sell the products developed by your students?

-WE can sell some items through our website at this point but sometime we hope to have a more fixed location where we could sell products.  They could now also be sold on our food truck.  We are teaching students to work the food truck and you can see pictures of it on our website.

From my knowledge of the history of our field, it goes without saying that what you have accomplished is due to your being an advocate and the parent of a child with a disability.  

-My daughter is 27 years old and I have tried to learn a bit about the overall system.  Robin Matusow has been an incredibly valuable teacher and guide through the bureaucratic maze.

I am interested in your comment about about your students' involvement in producing the educational modules in the coming months.  Can you tell us more about that?  

-We are talking back and forth with them, trying to empower them  as interpreters of their world- using video and other media. 

Also, what are some of your other goals for the future of your program?  

-POssibly work with others in creating training in pet care and work with elderly; restaurant and farm businesses; different food and pet products; expand food truck businesses as a training locale.Also expand our web educational modules (with student help) in various ways re shooting presenters on video related to the natural world, culinary, gardening, urban design, artistic expression, local culture and history.  WE are doing some of this now. We are seek collaboration with numerous other businesses, governments,educational institutions, and nonprofits.  Trips to local sites, maybe even camping etc.  But first steps first.

Thanks for sharing information about Nature Links.  Anything else you can tell us will be much appreciated.  For those families/professionals in the south Florida area that might want to contact you for more information about admission, who should they contact?  

-Again- check us out at www.naturelinks.net and our Facebook page linked to the website. 

Have a nice weekend. Greg 

Hi Dr. Bush,

Thanks for answering all my questions.  I am very impressed with the depth of your program's commitment to this group of adults.

I must agree with your comment about Robin Matusow.  She is outstanding in her field and is one of our most prolific group members.

I hope that you continue your membership in our group and post other related message on the topic of "Disabilities in Adult Education" in the future.

Respectfully,

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hi all,

Dr. Bush does have a commitment to his program. He has been able to carve out a place for life long learning in a world that has significant difficulties with adults who do not go to work. Our adult education and social expectations are  heavily invested in employment. If work is not an adult's goal, then the expectations of education and social forces seem to be  dropped to Adult Day Care type activities. It is almost as if life long learning is really reserved for senior citizens only.

I am very interested in other contributors who saw a comparison of Dr. Bush's descriptions and some incarcerated youth. I thing your comparisons are probably accurate.

Thank you to both Rochelle and Greg form the kind personal words.

Seems to me we need to create - and sustain-  newer models for lifelong learning, show their successful impact on young adults; then followup up with more targeted training when our population is more comfortable with what they want to do.  Finally, state and federal officials need to begin to provide more funding for such lifelong learning centers - including job and volunteer training, continuing education classes and social events so that this community can become more self-confident and independent.   Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  Greg Bush 

Hi Robin,

In your response above, you used the word "commitment."  That is a very powerful word.  We make commitments for a multitude of things at points throughout our lives.

At 18, I made a commitment to myself to work in some capacity with people that had disabilities throughout my life.  As I look back on my life, I see that is exactly what I have done.

Do you think that Dr. Bush's commitment is partly responsible for his program's success?

To our group members, what does 'commitment' mean to you?

Please respond to Robin's question from above:

Do other contributors see a comparison of Dr. Bush's descriptions and some incarcerated youth. I think your comparisons are probably accurate.

Thanks,

Rochelle Kenyon, SME