decreasing the digital divide - NYC to provide free Broadband Wifi access

As I present to adult educators in the field, I am still surprised at how many AE teacher haven't yet heard about EveryoneOn  http://www.everyoneon.org/welcome and the ability to find lower priced (or free) internet access, cell phones, and computers for our adult education folks (teachers AND learners!). Everyone, everyone needs to help spread the word!

If you know of a great 'EveryoneOn' access story please reply and share - word of mouth is one of the MOST powerful marketing tools!

On this same topic - Kudos to New York City! According to city officials, beginning next year all public payphone spots will become Wi-Fi hot spots, "providing free Internet access, free domestic calls using cellphones or a built-in keypad, a charging station for mobile devices and access to city services and directions."  

More details: "The city’s Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications said the network would be 100 times as fast as average municipal Wi-Fi systems, and more than 20 times as fast as average home Internet service in the city. A two-hour movie, officials said, could be downloaded in about 30 seconds.  The kiosks’ Wi-Fi range will extend 150 feet in any direction, officials said. Up to 250 devices would be able to use the network at each kiosk without diminishing service and in heavily trafficked areas access points can be added. ...the city hopes to install about 10,000 kiosks, ...There are now about 8,400 pay phones."

Read more about it in this New York Times Article:  www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/nyregion/pay-phones-in-new-york-city-will-become-free-wi-fi-hot-spots.html  [FYI - For nostalgia purposes, they WILL be keeping 3 "superman type" phone booths on West End in Manhattan :)  ]

Way to go NYC - let's get EVERYONE on!

Comments

EveryOneOn should be part of any and all adult ed programs - .....and I just wanted to mention a few things from some comments I posted on Technology:

I would like to add my program which started out as a DL,Blended Learning ESL program for low-income Latino immigrants adults, but is now evolving into a Family Bi-Literacy program, with kids, parents and grand-parents learning English and Spanish. I have been teaching classes using Pumarosa in a low-income housing development for a few months now, with a great deal of success, thanks to a very supportive staff. I also use YouTube and provide textbooks that accompany my program.

I am in the process of writing grant applications so as to expand the program. Providing the students with access to computers is very important in order to effectively Bridge The Digital Divide, and the model I use is  "Computers for Families" - TechSoup is a good example also.

In the future the websites will include Leamos.org, Starfall.com, and Pumarosa.com, along with cell phone lessons on Cell-ed.

Low income adults usually are not able to attend classes for a number of reasons including the fact that they work and have family obligations. Literacy For All via DL and a Blended approach is a method that can solve this problem.

I, too, am surprised that many have not heard of EveryoneOn. And even when they have, that they had not realized that OCTAE set up special deals for our field. Note: Make sure to add /adulted to the end of everyoneon.org 's URL.  

I love the idea of success stories, Duren, and although I am not sure if this is what you are asking for exactly, here is mine. I find when send a screenshot images of the deals and teachers see just how inexpensive the computers, laptops, or tablets are, they are truly amazed!  

This post is timely because I was just trying to figure out ways to integrate the use of EveryoneOn into lesson ideas on problem solving using technology.  Here is one below. But I would love to have any other ideas of what else learners could do. Even if you have never done it your "you could have them do this" ideas would be great to hear. These could be for computer teachers or ESOL/ABE teachers. These of course would need to be adapted based on computer skills, language level, and learning objectives.  Depending on the class, some scaffolding might be needed for students to successfully complete some of the tasks (e.g., pre-teaching computer terminology, web search and evaluation, etc.)  

SCENARIO: Maria is taking a class and trying to study at home. Many of the resources she uses to study are online. However, her teenage daughter says she also needs the computer to type her homework assignments and to study. The family needs another computer.  Use http://everyoneon.org/adulted to help Maria to select either a new desktop, laptop, or tablet. Research on the web the advantages of each. Then explain to Maria your reasons for your selection (in writing or orally). 

Thanks in advance!

Steve Quann

World Education, Inc.

squann@worlded.org

Hi Duren, Steve and all,

I learned about Everyone On at COABE last year and have been spreading the word wherever an whenever I can.  

As Steve mentioned Adult Ed has its own portal into Everyone On  http://everyoneon.org/adulted .  Once there you enter your zip code, indicate if you have children who are eligible for free or reduced lunch (yes may mean you are eligible for cable internet as well as wifi; no still means you are eligible for wifi).  Then you will be shown the options in your zip code.  Options vary but can include various types of inexpensive wifi hotspot tools and plans; low cost refurbished computers, laptops, and tablets; and a directory of places to take free classes in using technology.

Sometimes people think this is all too good to be true.  But I can say from personal experience that Everyone On is an amazing opportunity for students, teachers and programs. I bought  the small Mobile Hotspot device for $39 (plus $20 shipping) and a $10 a month plan for unlimited data which I use when I I'm doing workshops off-site.  It worked so well that I then purchased the larger Desk Modem (same price as the travel mifi) to use at home for my laptop, tablet, e-reader and even to stream from Netflix and Amazon. I was so happy with it that I have now gotten rid of my cable internet service.

The Mobile Hotspot can connect up to 8 devices and has a battery so can be used even when not plugged in.  The Desk Modem has to be plugged in but can connect up to 10 devices.  So as a teacher you could have two or three of these in a classroom and get Everyone On.

best,

Nell

Nell Eckersley

NellE@lacnyc.org

Hello all!

I'm so encouraged to hear success stories about EveryoneOn! I also learned about the program at COABE this year. They have a great 'materials' link on their website that has student flyers in English and in Spanish. They also have resources for low-cost laptops and tablets in addition to low-cost internet.  http://everyoneon.org/campaign-materials/ is where you can find specific information. This is a great resource for students and schools!

Amy