Homesickness at Holiday Time

Hi Everyone,

On a webinar today about health literacy and English Language Learners, one teacher said that her ESOL students often get homesick and depressed around the holidays. How have you dealt with this issue in your classes? Some suggestions would be helpful to share.

Thanks,

Julie

Comments

I have the students share their traditions with the class.  The students make a poster (or if they can a powerpoint slideshow)  that shows or lists the things they might do with their families, friends, and communities in their home countries. Then they present the poster to the class explaining what is taking place.  This helps them share their own experiences and allows them to see that everyone feels the same at this time of year. Often it lifts everyone spirits just sharing how they feel. 

That's a nice idea! I think holidays are usually centered around family and food. I've seen many classes create healthy recipe books as part of a nutrition health literacy unit. At holiday time, you could have everyone bring in one traditional holiday dish and have a class "family dinner".