Blended Learning

Technology and Distance Learning Colleagues,

I would like to start a discussion here about blended learning in adult basic education (i.e. ABE, ASE, ESL/ESOL, and transition to college).

I have two purposes:

1) Together I believe we know a lot more about blended learning than any of us individually, and I believe that we can learn from each other.

2) I am writing an adult education teacher's guide on blended learning which may be better if it is informed by the experience, knowledge and questions of teachers and others who participate in this discussion.

I will post some questions over the next few weeks that come to me as I write. I haven't done this before -- turned to this community of practice to inform my writing --  and I don't yet know how productive this will be for you or for me, but I believe it can be. I guess we'll all find out together.

Here's a shortened version of my definition of blended learning, just so we are all talking about the same thing: Blended learning, sometimes known as hybrid learning, is a teaching and learning model that has a face-to-face class or tutorial combined with an online learning component.

Here are my first three questions:

1. What does an adult education teacher need in order to succeed with blended learning?

2. What does/would successful blended learning look like to you?

3. What are the biggest challenges to creating successful blended learning?

You probably notice that these are broad, open questions. That's deliberate. I have some ideas, but want to hear yours. I'll share some of mine later.

I'll look forward to seeing your replies here. If you prefer for some reason, you could also just email them to me.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

I've had some experience with blended learning in a community college setting where I was an adjunct professor of American History.  We used an online platform called elearn.  Our AE program tried several types of programs in the past with little success.  However, recently, we are implemented a new type of program that seems to be working very well.  To answer your questions:

1) The teacher needs some plan before she simply throws out an online component.  You need to structure it, set some guidelines, expectations and make them clear to the learners.

2) The successful blended learning is one that meets regularly face-to-face and has the learners go to the online component to discuss, practice, reinforce, or extend the topic/content of the face to face class. The online aspect needs a discussion board that allows everyone to see questions, answers, expamples, etc. It should also be on that allows those students who were unable to attend the class, catch up so to speak.  There should be a place in the online delivery that allows the student to follow what was presented in class, the results and the classwork/homework assignments.  All blended learning needs a clear, timely line of communication between teacher and learners as well as other learners. This communication is the strongest and most important part of blended learning

3) time to keep up with it on the part of the teacher.  motivation to stay with it and participate on the part of the learner.

Hmmm... first, an adult educator needs time to find or develop the resources for blended learning and figure out how to use them and keep up with the training when the technology changes, as in always...   Teacher also needs skepticism -- Khan Academy videos just might not be what your class needs (I was reminded of this yesterday by a student who said they made her feel 'even stupider'...)   ... or they might be! 

Successful blended learning means students aren't spending  e time figuring out the technology at the expense of learning what they're wanting/needing to learn. The tech should make it an *easier* path, not a steeper one. 

I think the biggest challenges are developing materials and methods that work for students, instead of working for administrators and sales reps. Dont' even ask me about the data obsession... 

Thanks David for your definition of Blended Learning.  In my recent studies of online learning I have noted that 'blended' learning can also mean "online learning with a blend of face-to-face (synchronous) and independent (asynchronous) work.  This makes finding research studies on 'blended learning' something of a challenge.

As a big proponent of the flipped learning approach, I would strongly encourage anyone thinking about blended learning to consider starting small. Often our adult learners have little or no habit of doing 'out of class' work and this can be a barrier to a blended approach. In addition, often our instructors have little or no experience blending or are not comfortable with the tech tools recommended for blending.  So I encourage those new to the blended approach to start with something simple like:

• Start a Wordpress blog and post writing prompts for your students - have them respond in the comments with...a brainstorm, a sentence, a thesis statement, a paragraph. 
  • Same kind of idea, but with Instagram, or post images to a blog.
  • Post online (tool of your choice) or e-mail students links to a pdf file, or powerpoint or video that you created with key ccncepts or vocabulary to review/think about outside of class.
  • Send out a link to a Google Form (or other survey tool) to collect questions or reflections on current content, concepts or learning activities. 

Students can do this work during, before or after class,  - although the idea is that you want to eventually shift it to "homework" outside of classtime, and off site for most learners.  Also, maybe you start by doing this once a week, or for one topic, or one subject to start.  Then refine your processes, and do more of it as you get more comfortable, and learners adjust to new expectations.

So often what folks talk about are the "finished products" of a new technique like blended learning - what it looks like after all the kinks are worked out.  It would be great to hear not only about great models for blended learning in AE, but also about how folks got there, their *own* learning processes...

Thank you for some great ideas on easing into blended learning. Some of the suggestions you have made here are basic and may encourage students to participate. Even if the adult student has computer skills, participating in online learning can be intimidating. The plan to encourage students to work on this before, during and after class can lead them into doing more outside of the class. I have a web page and a blog but now I am thinking I expected too much "out of the gate" and would  be wiser to now  "refine my processes." Thank you, I will!

Thanks for your comments Lisa, Susan and Duren. I'll be replying soon, but before I do I want to wait a little while to see if others would like to respond to the three questions, or if others want to respond to your comments. Perhaps some people here have questions about blended learning of their own. If so, ask away! Maybe some of us can answer them.

BTW, for those who find themselves nodding in agreement with some of the comments, but who don't have anything to add, please use the "Like This" thumbs up icon. If you disagree with something, please take the time to say what it is and why you disagree.

Is there anything in the comments so far that surprises you, that you don't understand, or that you disagree with? If so, let's hear from you.

David  J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

David,

I really like the approach you are taking to gather feedback and input from those in the field. I hope it will be productive for your writing, but I know it will be helpful for those who are considering this approach. I agree with all the posts so far, very nice summary Duren, and the comments about planning, starting small, and considering the time needed are right on.

I support teachers as a curriculum developer/publisher and as I talk to educators around the country and within our own development team (which includes teachers from the field), a blended approach seems to be a very effective teaching and learning strategy.

Among many examples I have come across, I am familiar with a teacher in Iowa who has found success in a hybrid approach, and sets very clear guidelines/goals for her students using a distance-learning curriculum; some work is done outside the classroom online and some face-to-face in class. She creates a learning plan for her students based upon their individual needs (she does an assessment via the curriculum’s pre-survey in each content area), works with the students to create achievable timelines to work through the learning plan, and then creates a contract with the students for them to strive to achieve their goal.

She uses those learning plans and works her schedule such that students meet twice a week face-to-face, and then have assigned activities that need to be completed before coming to class the next week. The students agree to attempt a given amount of curriculum each week; the learning timeline is adjusted as needed based upon their understanding/progress through the curriculum. She said this has worked well and gave the students a very clear roadmap and a way to estimate when they would meet their learning goals. The combination of face-to-face time and working with curriculum online provided the opportunity to remediate and provide direct instruction in class, while giving students the flexibility to work outside the classroom as their schedules permitted.

Developing the individual learning plans, working on the “contracts” with students, and preparing and coordinating the instructional activities takes time, likely more time than she took in her traditional approach. Plus, she needed to know the distance-learning curriculum she was using very well in order to keep up with the students and know where to point them when they needed additional resources. Having a structured distance-learning curriculum to use as a framework likely assisted her in her prep time, plus it contains communication and tracking tools so she knows what students are working on and when they are stuck in a particular content area. She doesn’t need to wait for the face-to-face time to remediate; she can do that via the tools in the curriculum.

The idea of homework may be a shift in thinking, but with the availability and use of mobile devices, many/most have smart phones. We developed our online curriculum to mobile friendly; it works the same on a smart phone, tablet or desktop. I think we need to meet the students with the technologies they are using, and allow them an instructional moment when they have time and interest, both in the classroom and out.

Richard

Hello Richard,

Thanks so much for your comments about what the teacher in Iowa does. I said I would wait awhile to comment, but I can’t resist asking now more about what she does. I so appreciate knowing about the details from a teaching and learning perspective. Perhaps she would like to join this discussion, or communicate with you so you can share her replies. Either way would be fine with me, although of course, it would be wonderful to have her join us here.

Here are my questions for her and/or for you:

1. What level are her blended learning classes? Adult secondary ed. Adult basic ed? Transition to higher ed? Something else?
  2. How, using the distance-learning curriculum, does she set very clear guidelines/goals for her students? Are these group guidelines, or are they customized/tailored to individuals? Is this something she does once at the outset, with periodic reminders, or in other ways? Is this done in class, online or both? Is there a set of learning goals or objectives that students can choose from, or do they generate these from whole cloth?
  3. Is the learning contract she develops customized/tailored for each student? It sounds like each student has an individual contract. Is that correct?
  4. What percentage of a student’s learning is expected to be in class,  and what percentage on line?
  5. Do most students meet that expectation? Are there p[atterns of who does/doesn’t? If so, what are they?
  6. When the teacher adjusts the learning timeline, as needed, is this the group timeline, individual students’ timelines, or both?
  7. How did she learn the distance education curriculum? Through formal training? Using it over time? An online support/discussion group? All the above? Other ways?
  8. How important are the communication and tracking tools to her? Essential; useful; or only somewhat useful? And why?

Richard, you wrote:

The idea of homework may be a shift in thinking, but with the availability and use of mobile devices, many/most have smart phones. We developed our online curriculum to mobile friendly; it works the same on a smart phone, tablet or desktop. I think we need to meet the students with the technologies they are using, and allow them an instructional moment when they have time and interest, both in the classroom and out.

I would love to hear more from you about what differences you are finding when students access the curriculum from a mobile device.

1. Are students who use mobiles doing more homework than students who do not?
  2. Are you finding that some students like the mobile phone interface as well as the tablet or computer interface, or that it doesn’t seem to matter to any of the students what interface they use?

Thanks in advance for any of these questions you and she may be able to answer.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

David,

I will reach out to the teacher I referenced, it’s been a while since I saw her, but I will follow up. I am traveling quite a bit this week, so it may be next week before I can make a connection.

I think I can answer some of your questions, but I not all without follow-up.

I believe that she sets individual goals for each student using the pre-survey that comes with the curriculum. It flags areas that students need work on, and areas where they show understanding. That is an online resource that is part of/tied to the curriculum.

I believe the tracking tools are important as they show progress through the curriculum and can track where students are.

All the teachers who use our curriculum are provided training, both up front training on how to navigate, etc., but more importantly, follow-up with email, webinars trainings, etc. This follow–up training is not on how to navigate, but how to use the curriculum in the classroom, best instructional practices, etc.

The curriculum she is using is the i-Pathways project (www.i-pathways.org/2014). I am going to invite the i-Pathways Curriculum Director to participate in this discussion; I think she will be able to bring more to the table as she connects directly with educators across the country on a weekly basis.

I don’t currently have answers to questions about mobile tech use, not yet. But that is something we are starting to track. I made the comment about mobile tech based upon trends I am seeing in web utilization. More and more users are connecting to web resources using mobile devices versus laptops or desktops. I spoke with an ESL teacher this past summer that was developing a web-based activity for use in class, she said that the class didn’t need to go to the computer lab, everyone in the class had a smart phone, and they just used those.

Richard

Hello Richard,

Thanks for the follow up. I look forward to more, when you can.

You wrote, "More and more users are connecting to web resources using mobile devices versus laptops or desktops," which I think is an important trend in adult basic education, higher education and in some levels of K-12 education. Another related trend may be that some adult ed online curriculum developers are re-designing or have re-designed their products so that their content is optimized for smart phones. A question that we will want to know the answer to, is what kind of learning tasks are best done on a computer, Chromebook, or electronic tablet vs. what kinds of tasks can be done on a small mobile phone screen. For example, there is some research evidence that learning new vocabulary can be done best in short bursts, and that mobile phones might be ideal for this. Also, many learners find that instructional videos can be viewed on any of these Internet-accessible devices. On the other hand, small screens might not be best for practicing extended response writing for high school equivalency tests, and for other tasks.

Anyone have thoughts about what devices work best for what kind of adult learning task?

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

What an insightful conversation. I’d like to address a few comments and questions.

I agree with the thoughts shared so far. The teacher needs an instructional plan with clear guidelines that is aligned with the intended learning outcomes. The student learning contract, which we have modeled and integrated into our trainings since the original deployment of i-Pathways in 2001, is the first phase in the overall development of the learning plan. After the student is aware of the expectations, and they complete the placement surveys with determines strengths and weaknesses, students are asked complete a study plan and identify when they plan on working online. This extra step helps avoid the ‘I’ll get to it later” syndrome. A structured time, defined expectations, and clear goals are all essential to the success of the student.

I also strongly encourage teachers to develop online office hours. The implication of 24/7 learning implies 24/7 teaching. Part of the defined expectations is letting students know how, and when, you will respond to inquiries.

Technology changes so rapidly that it is often very difficult to keep up with. We model how to use Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest as communication tools and now students are spilling over to Instagram and even using apps like Yik Yak. The key to being success in using technology to promote blended learning is to select one or two resources that you are comfortable with and integrate these tools in the instruction. 

Moving onto the conversation about mobile learning. I firmly agree with the following statement, 'Successful blended learning means students aren't spending time figuring out the technology at the expense of learning what they're wanting/needing to learn. The tech should make it an *easier* path, not a steeper one."

I would be very interested in reading the research on types of activities that lead to instructional outcomes. Before we can worry about the type of content developed for mobile learning, it’s important to really look at the structure. The cognitive load needs to be placed on learning, not navigation. I believe it is difficult to determine how to chunk content for mobile learning, the key is in the differing patterns of presentation and varying the length of content so students can retain, retrieve, and transfer the knowledge gained in the mobile platform.

The real benefit of mobile learning is that it makes the learning so integrated with a student’s daily life that learning is hardly noticed. The student takes out their phone while in line at the store, waiting for an appointment, before traditional classes begin, or any other location. 

My questions would be:

What do you look for in an online curriculum?

How do you think teacher technology skills with mobile apps compare to that of students?