Let's Hear from the Community

Hello All!

I would like some input from the community on what types of postings/information would you like to see in this community?  Do you like the problems/puzzles that are posted?  Would you like more information about lessons and other resources available to help you with instruction?  Etc.

Please post your thoughts - I would really like to hear from others in the field.

Thanks,

Brooke

Comments

I"ll attribute the lack of cheerful enthusiastic eager responses to that... it's finals week here ... 

I love discussions of instruction -- but that's because I'm working with students who are taking math courses and need to understand math at that deeper 'course' level.   It makes sense to me that if people are prepping students for GED, then things helpful to that would be good. 

I found the problems we were given before to be...  rather problematic (see http://resourceroomblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/challenge-problem/  ) ...  but if, in fact, our students are presented with poorly constructed problems it would make sense to teach them "okay, if it's (whatever test uses that kind of problem), ignore the  math and just figure out a pattern and go with that"... 

Ways to bridge between concrete and abstract and ways to work the student language into problems and turn it into math language are helpful, too... 

Discussing what's best to focus on with our students (depending on their specific goals) is also good.   When do we acknowledge that for Task A... memorizing the material and passing the test is the appropriate strategy while for task B understanding is going to have gobs of benefits later?  What will students need to know 'later'?