CCR Standards Project

Please note:  Important Information about Implementing the CCR Standards

The LINCS page for Implementing College and Career Readiness Standards in Adult Education has been recently updated to reflect the CCR Standards Project as mandated in the Federal Initiatives.  The CCR Institute Materials will be posted soon and coming on October 1 will be the Applications for the Advanced Implementation Support Professional Development.  This next phase will be disseminated to state directors on October 1, 2014 where twelve states will be selected to receive intensive support building on the Standards-in-Action Innovations.  This project has been named, College and Career Readiness Standards-in-Action (CCR SIA).  Check out the link for more information.

Meryl Becker-Prezocki, SME

Comments

Hi Astrid,

I understand that some of your colleagues in Minnesota are interested also.  If they are not yet members of LINCS, they need to join and become a member of the College and Career Standards Group.  Please ask them to comment in the discussion and share that they want to participate.  i am collecting names in order that all who have expressed an interest can be included.  Thank you and to all who have indicated that they want to be part of the book study.

Meryl, SME

I am interested in participating in the discussion group. I had a chance to take the Reading Apprenticeship online course through WestEd and have been using RA methods in my class since then. I co-presented on Evidence/Inference logs and RA at the recent MinneTESOL conference in Minnesota and look forward to expanding my repertoire and refreshing my memory by engaging in discussions on Reading for Understanding.

Kiara

Hi Meryl, I found myself reacting the same way to this book on every page. One thing that's great about the book is that it is relevant to the population of learners we work with. The book includes many authentic vignettes from real teachers and students (what they call "classroom close-ups")  from middle school and high school, but also from GED and developmental classes at the community college level. It also includes many examples of English language learners.

Thanks for pulling this together, Meryl!

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, Assessment CoP

I'm in, as well.  I've bought and started reading the middle school and secondary book (which applies to the level of most of our adult students), but will purchase the higher level book.  I appreciate this opportunity to read through and discuss this book with you all.

Cheers,

Dave

I would like to join as well!

Also, I wanted to let you all know that I received an email from Ruth Schoenbach, one of the authors of the RA book, because I have been in contact with her in the past.  She wrote: "I'm wondering if you have any ideas about ways we might do outreach to people who'd be interested in learning more about Reading Apprenticeship (e.g. taking the online course, etc.).. We're planning to send out some info about these opportunities (probably in early Jan) and are trying to expand our mailing lists (but don't want to send things out to people who don't want to get things from us!). Thanks for any ideas."  If we thought we'd like to, I can let her know about our study group and perhaps I could arrange for her to contribute in some (free) way as a form of outreach.  

John

John,

I am so glad that you shared this information about Ruth Schoenbach.  I would welcome if she could be a part of this.  I have some ideas and am going to email you privately.  All of these possibilities are exciting.

Meryl, SME

All,

I just read the first 2 chapters and am very excited about the RA program!  I look forward to a structured, interactive book study.

Sue P.

Greetings from MN! I am interested in joining the book discussion if it's not too late to participate. Thank you!

Hello to all,

Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms

I am offering to lead a book study and discussion that would begin the first week of January.  By starting after the holidays, you would have the month of December to read the book.  Judging from our discussion it looks like we have a lot of interest in the community.  Reading for Understanding has eight chapters plus the Epilogue.   I think that we can discuss two chapters at a time and extend our conversation over the period of a month. 

• The book study will begin the week of January 5
  • It will last for 4 weeks
  • Each week two chapters will be covered in the discussion
  • Questions/topics will be posted each weekend to start the conversation
  • All comments and questions will be welcomed

If you are interested, you can continue to post your desire to participate.  Further announcements regarding the Book Study will be posted later this month.

Thank you for your interest.

Meryl Becker-Prezocki, SME

Dear LINCS Community Members,

This is just a reminder before many of you leave work to enjoy the holiday season that the first book group, Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms will begin on Monday, January 5.   Many of you have indicated your interest in participating and to do that you must join the microgroup at https://community.lincs.ed.gov/group/reading-apprenticeship-book-study.  I will be facilitating the discussion along with Susan Finn Miller, and we are preparing questions that will guide our conversation.  You can look for the questions to be posted after the holidays.

We look forward to a lively conversation.  Enjoy the season.

Meryl and Susan

If I join the book study must I sign in at a certain time of day on January 5th?

One of our ABE teachers is interested in joining the Book Study.  She thinks she joined the CCRS group and is very interested in the book study. 

Her name is Jennifer Waite.   Thanks

Hi Patricia,

That is a wonderful question!

The LINCS Reading Apprenticeships Book Study officially starts on January 5th; however, because it is an ongoing, user-led discussion you can sign in at any time to join.

Happy Holidays, and we look forward to speaking with you in the New Year!

The LINCS Community Team

Happy New Year to all,

This is just a reminder that the first book group, Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms will begin on Monday, January 5.   Many of you have indicated your interest in participating and to do that you must join the microgroup at https://community.lincs.ed.gov/group/reading-apprenticeship-book-study.  Susan Finn Miller and I will be facilitating the discussion.  The questions that will guide our conversation are now posted in the microgroup.  We are looking forward to hosting the book study and following the conversation.  See you in the microgroup!

Meryl and Susan