Introducing myself

I’ve been asked to introduce myself, so here goes. I’m Wendy Quiñones , living in the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts.  Although out of the classrom for a couple of years now, I’ve taught ABE, mostly at the GED level, for over 20 years.  Now my work is entirely online, in professional development and teaching students in the state’s distance learning program. To my delight, Massachusetts chose not to go with the GED 3024 – we are using the HiSET. We haven’t had many students take it yet, but just from the practice tests it seems more accessible than the new GED.

My main work, though, is professional development. I’m a LINCS National Trainer, and facilitated the (technologically challenged) rollout of the TEAL Differentiated Instruction (Writing) course. DI is my main area of expertise in professional development, and it’s one where assessment can pose a particularly vexing problem.  It is, however, essential to effective differentiation one of the “non-negotiables,” according to the field’s guru, Carol Ann Tomlinson. The trick is to demonstrate to teachers the multiplicity of techniques that can provide the kind of frequent and varied assessment that can inform instruction.

So that’s me. I’m glad to be here, and especially to join my old friends David Rosen and Steve Quann in the LINCS community.

Comments

Hi Wendy, Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to the Community. It's great to have you and the experience and expertise you bring, especially in distance learning and writing. What issues would you identify as being essential to teaching and assessing writing?

What do members find challenging about teaching and assessing writing? What has been especially effective in your practice?

For me, one of the most challenging issues with teaching writing is deciding what to focus on for feedback. I know I should not focus on everything. You mentioned the importance of differentiating instruction. What are some effective ways to do this with writing? Another issue I'm interested in is training students to engage in peer review in effective ways.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, Wendy, as well as other members' ideas on these and other issues related to teaching and assessing writing.

Happy New Year!

Susan

Moderator, Assessment CoP