Featuring Professional Development in States

Dear PD Colleagues:

I've recently been asked if we could feature one state professional development system each month in the EBPD Group. This would enable us to learn, in greater depth, about the work others are doing  in adult literacy professional development. It could take the form of a threaded discussion in the EBPD Group and possibly a webinar. One or more guests would be available to answer questions during that month.

I really like this idea, but what do you think? What state PD systems would you like to learn more about this January - March, 2015?

Looking forward,

Jackie Taylor, SME

Comments

Hi Jackie,

I don't know much about what other states are doing, so it would be hard to identify which states I'd like to see. In Texas, we're in the process of implementing a whole new PD delivery system, made up of Tiers, where training topics are divided into Core, Performance Enhancing and then National events. We're still in the "building" stage, as we work to refine this new system,  but i'd be happy to share more about our system after the first of the year sometime.

best,

Deb

I'm wondering, Deb, if sharing some of the challenges and successes as we go along might be helpful to other states.  Just thinking out loud here.  :)

Peace,

Glenda

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Deb and Glenda. I agree that it is hard to know what other states are doing in order to make recommendations; perhaps that’s why this inquiry has languished in responses until now. We don’t really know collectively what’s going on in other states’ professional development . Yet one purpose of the EBPD group is to keep us connected with and informed about each others' practices in PD.  It is difficult to do that if we as members of the group don’t make that happen. We are each others' best resources!

Why don’t we schedule a webinar for January to kick off the year – a participatory webinar focusing on what’s happening in states, the successes and challenges we’re facing? We’d need a couple of states to agree to join as guests to give updates on their state’s PD -- that would get the discussions going. We could identify some of the challenges we’re facing in our respective states, and based on that, identify hot topics for discussions / webinars for the remainder of the year. What do you all think? It sounds like Texas is willing to help us get started.

What about Kentucky? California? Georgia? Ohio? Others? I'd like to get it on our calendars this week for sometime in January so we can start the new year out with a bang.

Thanks,

Jackie Taylor

Thank you, David, for the fast feedback! To all, please see below for a brief description of what I'm seeking. Feel free to forward it to those who you recommend having their professional development work featured during a webinar in either January (week of January 19 or 26) or February 2015. Those who are interested/available to participate as a guest discussant should either reply to this thread or email me direct at jackie@jataylor.net . Or if you would email me some names and contact information, I am happy to reach out to the individual(s) you recommend.

What’s Happening in State Professional Development

Join us for a webinar to discuss what different states are doing in adult literacy professional development. Guest discussants from XXXXX  states will open the conversation by sharing their work. Participants will have the opportunity to interact with guests and each other and explore the successes and challenges they face in designing, delivering, and evaluating professional development.

Questions we will discuss include (but are not limited to):

• What’s happening in state professional development?
  • What are the successes and challenges guests and participants face in the design, delivery, and evaluation of PD?
  • What are the hot button issues in PD?
  • What do professional developers want most for their own professional growth and learning?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy Holidays!

Jackie Taylor

I am very interested in learning how other states / programs are using EBPD in general. We (i-Pathways)  are starting a cohort model of PD targeted to run 3 months. We will begin in January and work together through March via distance learning tools such as email, webinars, and Skype. It's the first time we are attempting a 3 month plan. Our intended outcome is to guide teachers through technology integration and lead to high school equivalency achievement for adult learners.  I look forward to sharing updates on how this is going - but most importantly, learning from everyone and applying this information into the cohort. 

Hi Kathy, It's good to hear from you!

Thank you for sharing the 3-month cohort model of PD that you all will soon implement; I always look forward to hearing about developments with i-Pathways. Your approach sounds very interesting. Is there a face-to-face aspect or will it all be conducted virtually? Also, do the participants know each other or is this the first time they will meet?

I encourage others who are using cohort models of PD to share their work -- what has worked well and what hasn't with cohort models?

Looking forward,

Jackie Taylor

Dear Colleagues:

I'm pleased to share that the EBPD Group will kick off the New Year by featuring the following state PD systems in January and February, 2015:

January: North Carolina and Washington State

• Webinar: January 20
  • Online Discussion: January 20-16, 2015

February: Texas and Maine

• Webinar: February 9
  • Online Discussion: February 9-13, 2015

Please pencil in your calendars! I will post more information as it becomes available.

Looking forward,

Jackie Taylor

What’s Happening in State Professional Development – Part I

Featured States: North Carolina and Washington

Webinar: January 20, 2015, 3:00 – 4:30 PM ET, Register Today:  

https://msg.adobeconnect.com/statepdpart1/event/registration.html

​ 

Online Discussion in the EBPD Group: January 20-26, 2015

Join us for a webinar and follow up online conversation to discuss what different states are doing in adult literacy professional development. Guest discussants from North Carolina and Washington State will open the conversation by sharing their work. Participants will have the opportunity to interact with guests and each other and explore the successes and challenges they face in designing, delivering, and evaluating professional development.

Guest Discussants:

• Nancye Gaj, Director, Program and Professional Development, College and Career Readiness, North Carolina Community College System Office
  • Cynthia Wilson - Policy Associate, Adult Basic Education, Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges
  • William Durden - Policy Associate, Basic Ed for Adults: I-BEST, Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges

Guest presenter Nancy Gaj will discuss North Carolina’s Credentialing Project, a statewide initiative to provide basic skills instructors the teaching skills necessary for delivering quality instruction. Guests Cynthia Wilson and William Durden will share Washington State’s team teacher training and professional development around integrated contextualized instruction.

Follow Up Online Discussion

The Evidence-based Professional Development Group will host a follow up discussion January 20-26 to delve deeper into issues and professional development needs raised during the webinar.

Questions we will discuss include (but are not limited to):

• What’s happening in state professional development?
  • What are the successes and challenges guests and participants face in the design, delivery, and evaluation of professional development?
  • What are the hot button issues in professional development?
  • What do professional developers want most for their own professional growth and learning?
  • What resources are available to achieve these goals?

Please share this announcement with those who you think have something to contribute.

Don’t forget to register for the webinar today by clicking here: https://msg.adobeconnect.com/statepdpart1/event/registration.html

Then join the Evidence-based Professional Development Group by clicking here and selecting it from the list of groups.

Thanks and looking forward,

Jackie

Jackie Taylor, SME

Evidence-based Professional Development Community of Practice

Dear Colleagues:

Next week, we are featuring Washington state’s and North Carolina’s professional development systems in a guest discussion of What's Happening in State Professional Development! This is a two-part discussion to be held this January and February, 2015 (see here for Part I details). We will kick the conversation off on Tuesday, January 20 with a webinar followed by online discussion in the EBPD Group (here) for the remainder of the week.

Please welcome Nancye Gaj (North Carolina), Cindy Wilson (Washington), and Will Durden (Washington), our guest discussants who will be sharing their work with us. Their bios are below.

To prepare for our discussion:

1. Register here (if you haven’t yet) for the webinar scheduled for Tuesday, January 20, 3:00-4:30 pm Eastern. Consider your responses to these questions as we will address them next week:

• What are 1-2 major professional development initiatives in your state? What is your role in them? (participant, planner, etc.)
    • What’s one PD success you are proud of? It could be an initiative in which you helped design, deliver, or in which you participated.
    • What is the greatest challenge you face in providing or participating in PD? Or both?
  2. Please reply to this discussion thread and (re)introduce yourself. Tell us what you look forward to discussing next week.

Professional development is my passion.  I look forward to hearing about what PD’s happening in your area!

Jackie

Jackie Taylor, SME

Evidence-based Professional Development Community of Practice

Nancye Gaj, Director, Program and Professional Development, College and Career Readiness, North Carolina Community College System Office

Nancye is Director of Program and Professional Development for College and Career Readiness at the NC Community College System. In that role, she has established a comprehensive credentialing system for instructors and developed an organizational infrastructure to support local programs. Prior to joining the system in 2011, Nancye was president of Motheread, Inc., a nationally- acclaimed literacy organization which she founded. In recognition of her innovation in the field of literacy, she received the presidentially-awarded National Humanities Medal. Nancye is a graduate of Duke University and the Graduate School of Education at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

~~~~~~~~~~

Cynthia “Cindy” Wilson - Policy Associate, Adult Basic Education, Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges

Cindy has twenty one years of experience in Adult Basic Education as tenured faculty, Dean and Washington State Policy Associate. She has extensive background in policy and program development and implementation, outcomes and assessment, and curriculum creation. She has worked state and nationally on the implementation of I-BEST and contextualized instruction specifically. Cindy has worked with legislators to secure funding for statewide program development and implementation. She directed system wide monitoring and compliance reviews in accordance with state and federal regulations. Cindy values and is passionate about creating educational opportunities for students to be successful in reaching their full potential and goal. She has Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education from The Ohio State University and Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction for City University.

~~~~~~~~~~

William S. Durden - Policy Associate, Basic Ed for Adults: I-BEST, Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges

William serves as the Basic Education for Adults I-BEST Policy Associate for the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges. William earned his MA in English Studies from Western Washington University and his BA in English from Washington State University. Prior to his position with the board he served as faculty at Clark College in Vancouver, WA, where his teaching spanned the pathways of college-level, developmental and adult education courses, including I-BEST.