K-12 Affiliated AE PD Models

Dear Colleagues,

I'm looking for ideas about how other Adult Ed State offices that are under the K-12 umbrella (as opposed to DOL, Tech/Community Colleges, etc.)  model their PD.  In other words, how do you facilitate, plan, and structure the use of your leadership funds.  For example, do you contract this out?  Do you have a grant competition?  If either of those, how do you control the quality and ensure the PD is in alignment with the state and federal regulations.  If you handle it in-house, how do you do that?  If you also use state funding to support PD, is that structured the same way?

Your examples / models / narratives / diagrams / flow charts / smoke signals, etc. would be most appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Tonya Creamer
Education Associate
Office of Adult Education
South Carolina Department of Education

Comments

Tonya,

I am based out of the Vermont Agency of Education. My position is the AE PD Coordinator. We do not grant an outside entity for PD-- I handle it all in-house. I am able to have small contracts with subject matter experts to accomplish PD activities in line with our annual goals. This is how we use our state PD and leadership dollars. We are one of the smallest systems in the nation, so our small scale is probably an important factor-- I don't imagine this would work in California.

I think you might be interested to know about the PD delivery in the other New England states of Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts as we all are based out of our state education agencies and use slightly different models.

Kate Nicolet

Thanks so much, Kate, for your response!

Yes, it does sound like your set-up is suited for a very small state.  How many other state staff do you have dedicated to Adult Ed?  How many SME contracts do you have?  Are they with individuals or consulting firms?

I would be VERY interested in the set-ups of those other states, but as of yet, there hasn't been too much interest in my little post. :)  Thank you so much, again, for responding!!

Tonya