Internet based ESL and Citizenship program / grants

I have been working on a grant proposal for my ESL/Citizenship program for low-income adult immigrants. The proposal will be aimed at securing funding for a computer lab that provides a Blended learning approach using various internet sites and other materials. I also will include a request to provide funding for laptops and smart phones for the students to borrow for use at home. Other fund raising ideas will be explored.

I can provide a template via email to those interested, and you can reach me at pumarosa21@yahoo.com.

Paul Rogers

Comments

Thanks, Cynthia,

EveyoneOn is one of the resources that will be part of the program. I also will include a service that provides free or low-cost refurbished computers to low-income families, plus smart phones on a loan basis. I want to build a library of real books too! The computer lab, of course, will provide classes in computer basics that will be part of the ESL curriculum, in the same way as learning other lessons.

I have received a number of requests for the grant template, which I will have finished in a week. In the meantime, I sent out some preliminary information including a copy of what is called the Common Grant Application which is a form used to put in basic information about the non-profit agency applying for grants.  I also sent out some information on the cell phone classes offered by Cell Ed, and my own program, Pumarosa.

In general, there are two kinds of non-profit agencies or organizations that provide adult ed classes: the "formal" sector or community colleges and public school courses that receive government funding; and the "informal" sector consisting of churches, non-profit social service agencies, etc.  My focus is on the latter, and most of the grants requests will be sent to non-governmental philanthropic foundations. The "informal" programs also are usually not bound by attendance requirements, tests, etc., and can be more community or student centered.

Actually I envision a DROP IN CENTER, that provides day care, and provides all kinds of classes offered online, such as the Drivers' test.

Community based programs also should consider applying for funding from the businesses in their communities, such as large stores, banks, employers, etc.  From this a fund-raising campaign could be set up in an ongoing way.

Paul Rogers

SPANISH LITERACY/PRE-ESL/ESL - A BLENDED PROGRAM
Centro Latino for Literacy has been offering a Spanish literacy program to adults for more than  20 years with their internet course called "Leamos!"() or "Let's Read!".
Located in Los Angeles, their facility has also offered regular ESL classes via a local community college.
Beginning this month, a "Pre-ESL" course is being offered for 6 weeks for Leamos() graduates. Using Pumarosa.com, the students should be able to be  prepared to enter the regular classes in March.
As the developer/creator of Pumarosa, I am very happy to be able to work
as a consultant in the area of class structure and training of the
volunteer tutors.
"Pre-ESL" is a type of program that would fit in very well with any course offered and is very timely considering the needs of the emerging immigrant population. If you would like more information, please contact me.
Paul Rogers
pumarosa21@yahoo.com 805-258-3310

Mari Riddle, the CEO of Centro Latino for Literacy, sent me the following to complement my previous post:

Centro Latino for Literacy (Centro Latino) calls Native Language Literacy (NNL) "Pre-ESL" and what we teach with Pumarosa.com a “Bridge to ESL.”

In other words, Centro Latino provides the following as their Pre-ESL curriculum:
1. Leamos Basic (internet based);
2. Functional Literacy (Grammar, math and financial education (classroom based),
3. ESL Bridge (Pumarosa based course as described below).

The non-profit organization Centro Latino for Literacy (Centro Latino) has been teaching non-literate adult Spanish speakers to read and write since 1991. In 2004 it took its cornerstone curriculum, Leamos (tm) (Let's Read) and developed it for the internet.
Located in Los Angeles, their facility has also partnered with LAUSD Adult Ed division and local community colleges to provide ESL courses at Centro Latino's Education Center.
LAUSD Adult Ed has also taught Leamos since state law does not prohibit instruction in adult education classes from being provided in a language other than English to students 18 years and older.
Beginning this month, Centro Latino will enhance its Pre-ESL offerings with a "Bridge to ESL" course being offered for 6 weeks for Leamos((tm)) graduates.
Using Pumarosa.com, the students are better prepared to enter the Basic ESL classes that begin in mid February.
"Pre-ESL" is a type of program that would fit in very well with any course offered and is very timely considering the needs of the emerging immigrant population.

If you would like more information, please contact me.
Mari Riddle | President & CEO
Centro Latino for Literacy

mari@centrolatinoliteracy.org 

http://www.centrolatinoliteracy.org/

Greetings All,
I’m a relatively new teacher.  I've been teaching ESL in an ABE program in southern New Mexico for the last three years.  The face-to-face classes are no credit, no grade.  I have just accepted a job at a state university in southern Mexico, which will be a major change for me. 
In my new position, one of my main duties will be to develop a program to teach EFL via ITV.  I’ve been scouring the LINCS discussions and cannot find any threads dealing with strategies utilizing this system.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with teaching English (or any language) with ITV.  There’s no sense in reinventing the wheel!  
Many thanks,
Trensa