Adult Numeracy Network (ANN)

Welcome to the Adult Numeracy Network!

This is an area for both non-members and members of ANN to get acquainted and to stay connected to each other.  What is the Adult Numeracy Network (ANN)?  We are a community dedicated to quality mathematics instruction at the adult level.  We support each other, we encourage collaboration and leadership, and we influence policy and practice in adult math instruction.

The Adult Numeracy Network was formed by adult education practitioners at the first national Conference on Adult Mathematical Literacy in March 1994. Researchers, program administrators, government officials and others joined together to discuss the status of adult numeracy education and to determine future directions. The conference was co-sponsored by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), the National Center on Adult Literacy (NCAL), and the Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE) of the U.S. Department of Education (now OCTAE).

As practioners at the grassroots level, we formed the Adult Numeracy Network to continue the work initiated at the conference. We adopted a constitution and by-laws in 1995, at our first annual meeting.

Since its founding, the ANN:

For more information about ANN, please visit our webpage at AdultNumeracyNetwork.org.

Comments

Hi All,

I want to repeat Brooke's invitation to get to know more about ANN - the Adult Numeracy Network.  I'm the current president of ANN, was a math teacher in adult ed for about 15 years, and currently volunteer as a math teacher in a college transition program.  I'm also a vice president at World Education and a trainer for Adult Numeracy Instruction (ANI), the math professional development offered through LINCS. Being part of ANN has connected me to math teachers and changes in math teaching over the past several years.  The next ANN event is a pre-conference at COABE:  Bringing Students to a Higher Level in Math.  Please come if you can!  We'll be focused on helping students build deep conceptual understanding through hands-on problem solving.  We'll look at building mathematical thinking by asking effective questions, and we'll have a lot of fun working together.  We'll hear from two math teachers who received practitioner research grants from ANN this past year - what questions they explored and what they learned.  Also, stay tuned here as other ANN members introduce themselves and talk about their involvement with ANN. 

Sally Waldron

Glad to hear this!   I keep almost joining, but never have envelopes, stamps, checkbook and the proper form at the same time.   (I'm afraid my printer at home hasn't worked in a year...)   Now that I'm saying it out loud, I might get it all together ;)    

Thanks for the reminder Brooke. I will get my $$$ (using decimal training) and membership application form to you.

For those unfamiliar with ANN, let me say that Brooke and her group are doing amazing things bringing adult math education out of the worksheet era and into active, lively and meaningful discussions and classroom activities. I'm a novice in the field, but the more I use ANN in the GED classroom, the more engaged and more successful my students are.

If you have the opportunity to work with Brooke and the ANN people in workshops or conferences, take it! You won't be sorry.

Greetings everyone! As Sally has suggested, please do come to Denver and our COABE preconference. Participants that have attended in the past always give our preconference high ratings.

This year we mark 20 years since we held our first preconference meeting on April 5, 1995 in Cambridge, Massachusetts lead by our first president and founder of ANN, Mary Jane Schmitt.  It is with sadness that we will mark our 20th year without Mary Jane who passed away on January 25.  We will be honoring her memory during our lunch time meeting. If any of you have memories or pictures to share please send them my way. Mary Jane would have loved this forum that Brooke has created for practitioners to share their triumphs and struggles in the field.  It is important that we honor Mary Jane' legacy by moving the numeracy field forward and continuing the work she started 20 years ago.