Health Sections from Standard Curricula

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to start a small series of resource highlights. But I want to first ask you all if you can recommend any health-related chapters, sections or stories from common standard teaching materials for ABE/ESOL programs. We have shared many curricula and lesson plans that were created for teaching health literacy specifically, but there are likely to be some sections of general teaching materials that relate to health. I'd love to find the best ones!

For example:

Please share sections from materials that you have used or seen!

Thanks,

Julie

Comments

Julie, 

Thank you so much for these resources. I am also starting a unit on health and found your resources very helpful. 

Hi, Julie. Thanks for sharing the links with us. I work with an adult ed program that focuses a lot on prepping future health workers to succeed in training to enter different health fields (CAN, PCP, EMT, etc...) in our rural, muti-cultural region of CO.  I created a math, reading and writing series for that purpose, which I published on CD's for students to process independently with some support from instructors. I have just started to revise/fix the series so that I can publish it in OER Commons for others to use. I still want to add more interaction. I don't know if this is the type of content you are seeking, but I'm glad to keep you posted on the progress if it is. To see a sample, go to https://www.oercommons.org/courses/measurements-i-for-health-workers. Your feedback would be most appreciated. Leecy

Hi, Laurie. I have worked with the OER Commons techies who, I believe, have fixed the problem. I just tried it and notice that the status has changed. Let me know if you still have probs, and I'll send you another link to the same resource. Hope it is helpful. Leecy

Leecy,

Thanks for telling us about this series! Please do keep us informed.

Here are some other resources that can be helpful in preparing students for health care careers:

I'd love to know what you think about any of these!

Julie

Hi , Julie. It is great resource and time to let students of different levels to know about heathey rules that could be of benefits of themselves and their children as well as. However,if it is ok for me to add something , I would like to share an article Students Get Healthy . Going to www.readworks.org,you will find this title with a lot of explanation. The passage contains new vocabularies about heathy food and healthy rules students ,parents and school have to follow .It is of a good activity if you apply the Flyswatter-definition of a vocabulary and students pointing to the vocabulary . Moreover,I find it even more exciting if you apply the Paragraph Jumble to your students.students have to arrange paragraphs using different skills of education, it is ESL intermediate level.Thanks