Your Hopes for the Technology and Learning Community

Colleagues,

This is a time of transition and change in LINCS communities. It’s a great time for you to influence that change.

For some, the Technology and Learning CoP is a way to:

• Get information: what’s new, what’s good, how are adult educators using xyz, what does the research say, what are the professional development opportunities (e.g. LINCS resources, technology conferences or technology strands in other conferences, institutes, webinars, online courses, blogs)? 
  • Dialogue with colleagues about issues of interest or concern
  • “Hang out” and absorb information, especially for those new to using technology for learning, to learn more about how those with more experience have been or plan to use technology well
  • Get ideas to solve a problem, by posting the problem or challenge on the CoP and getting ideas or information from colleagues about how they have addressed it
  • Meet people online and then in person at training or conferences, get to know colleagues who have similar interests and passions

Some may also want this to CoP to provide a way to:

• Meet like-minded people who are working on meeting specific technology and learning challenges
  • Explore deeply -- and possibly over time -- a particular technology and learning aspect such as:
    • Using digital videos for instruction,
    • Implementing blended learning
    • Using specific kinds of apps  (e.g. English language listening and speaking, reading, writing, math, science, social studies apps)
    • Online management information systems
    • Online tutoring
    • Micro-credentials/digital badges
    • Specific hardware, e.g. digital projects, electronic tablets, laptops, chromebooks, electronic whiteboards (“smartboards”) and others
    • Free Google Drive tools and how adult educators are using them
    • Using online simulations
    • Digital literacy and problem solving in technology-rich environments
    • What else?
  • Learn more about using LINCS vetted Technology resources, or what these are
  • What else?

Some may have enjoyed a particular feature of this community such as:

• Free-flowing discussions organized by users
  • Expert panels on particular topics organized by the moderator
  • Discussions between two or more CoPs, for example the Professional Development (EBPD) and Technology and Learning discussion in which a few social media tools (e.g. Wiggio, Linked in, Facebook) were chosen and described in an Overview, participants were asked to use one and then try it out, then report back to the CoP.
  • What else?

If so, tell us about that.

Finally, if there are some things – even if its only one thing -- that you definitely don’t want changed, tell us about that.

Please reflect on what you want to get from and contribute to this community. Then, please share your reflections and hopes here with all of us between now and Thursday, April 2nd.

David J. Rosen, Moderator

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

Technology and Learning Colleagues,

I hope everyone has read my post asking for your thoughts and ideas about what you want to get from and contribute to this community of practice. Although you have several days yet to respond, I hope some of you will share your views now. I am eager to hear your thoughts, as I am sure are many others here.

David

David J Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hi, David. et al. I add my welcome to others posted here.

I am and educational consultant who uses technology. I am not a techie although I so often wish I were!

My interest in belonging to this group is to hear from other adult ed educators, curriculum developers, and trainers regarding free or inexpensive, friendly resources to engage students in online interactive tasks. I wear, among other hats, a teacher trainer hat, and the adult ed teachers with whom I work often do not have digital skills that exceed those of their students. I have to make it easy for instructors to implement fun, creative, cognitively challenging, low reading level activities that promote academic skill acquisition matched to real life interests or occupational goals. Whew! That's a mouthful!

I can contribute what I've developed and found useful, once I hear from others on what their interest are. Thanks for asking! Leecy

Hi Leecy,

This is a great thread for our discussions here. I invite everyone here to tell us what your favorite free or inexpensive resources (software, apps, Open Education Resources, videos, audio files, slide shows, simulations, serious online games etc.) are that can engage students in online interactive tasks.

To make it easier, those who respond can just suggest one resource -- or as many as they like or have time to list. Please try to include a web address where we can look at the resource.

Technology bloggers, OER enthusiasts, people who create lists or whole websites of adult learning resources, we want to hear from you!

David J. Rosen

Technology and Learning CoP Moderator

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hello David and colleagues, 

In the intro you have outlined many great trends and issues regarding technology in learning and I am looking forward to future conversations about all of them. 

For now, I would like to share about the most recent sharing and learning opportunity that OTAN facilitated for California adult education providers' administrators, coordinators, and teachers who are planning for or are already implementing distance, blended, online instruction, as well as integrating technology in the classroom.

We held our Technology and Distance Learning Symposium on March 13-14, 2015 at San Leandro Adult School. I will continue in the words of OTAN director, Joyce Hinkson.

"There were over 40 separate sessions with something for everyone. Attendees looking for ways to increase their knowledge of blended or online learning could choose from “Orienting Students to Online Learning”, “Blended Learning in Family Literacy/ESL Classrooms”, “Distance and Blended Learning and Teaching” or “Access to Learning through Online Education”. Those wanting to increase their personal tech skills could attend “Tech Tips for All”, “Using One Note as an Educational Tool”, or “Google Tools and Drive”.

Keynote speaker Merve Lapus, from Common Sense Media, provided a presentation on Digital Literacy and Citizenship for Adult Learners and Their K12 Students. He shared free digital citizenship curriculum and resources to help engage adult learners and families in activities that promote critical thinking, and using the Internet safely, respectively and responsibly as a connected citizen.

There were several ‘firsts’ at TDLS 15. First time for a keynote to present online in real time from another city; first time that a AdultEdu “Tech Slam” was included in the Symposium; first time for all evaluations to be collected electronically; and first time a QR code on attendee badges was used to link directly with the online schedule and to view live Tweets (#tdls15). "

Handouts, resources and videos can be found on the conference Web site

We are looking forward to further sharing and learning at the COABE conference 2015 and in discussions on LINCS. 

Branka Marceta, OTAN 

Hello Branka,

Having been at OTAN's TDLS 14, I can say from firsthand experience that I learned a lot. For example, I loved Marian Thacher's session on personal learning plans (presented this year, too, I think), Penny Pearson's session on OERs and on using a web-based learning platform, Susan Gaer's presentation on using mobile devices in the classroom (presented this year, too), and an amazing presentation in which an adult ed teacher demonstrated brilliantly how to use a portable electronic tablet that he held in his hand -- integrated with an electronic whiteboard. He walked around the classroom, drew and typed on his tablet, and what he wrote immediately showed up on the whiteboard. I thought this was a great example of integrating technology and learning as it allowed him to look at what we (learners) were doing and comment privately face-to-face, but also easily and immediately to show all of us on the electronic whiteboard an example, interesting approach, or difficulty that we were having in completing the task. I also have to say that the adult school where the conference was held had some amazing state-of-the-art equipment!

Sounds like this year's conference was another great success. California is very fortunate to have a statewide adult education and technology organization like OTAN. I haven't heard of other states that do. Sadly, we no longer appear to have a national adult education/literacy and technology conference. When we did, these were quite useful. Kudos, however, to the Mayor's Commission on Literacy in Philadelphia that still has a great annual one-day adult literacy technology for people in the Philadelphia area in May.

Branka: What's an AdultEdu “Tech Slam”?

Everyone:  Check out this year's presentations and handouts from the OTAN TDLS Website Schedule of sessions

Everyone: As Branka mentioned, there's a rich technology strand coming up at the national COABE conference in April in Denver. More on that to come.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Welcome, David, and thanks for getting us launched into this new adventure. What I love in this group is hearing about the technology that teachers are using with students, how it's going, what works, and what work-arounds you find for things that don't work.

For example, I've seen Kahoot used for polling in meetings and conference presentations, and I imagine it would be a fun tool to use in a class where most students have smart phones. I was hoping it would allow people to post comments, but it just shows responses to multiple choice questions, but it makes it competitive and fun. Any comments on that one?

Marian Thacher

Thanks Marian for getting us started.

Perhaps someone could take a look at Kahoot and compare it with other polling software such as Poll Everywhere. Are there other polling apps that adult education teachers like? If so, what are they?

It is possible to have LINCS micro-groups; for example, a small group of people from this CoP who are interested in looking into polling software and how it can be used well with adult learners. If you -- and/or others -- are interested in that, I could help you to set it up. Its work could be defined around some specific task-based questions. It could be short-lived, like a task force, designed just to answer the questions and then report back to the whole CoP what they have learned from their exploration. For example, if there were a polling software micro-group, it could focus on these questions (or others):

1) What free or inexpensive polling software is available to adult education teachers?

2) What are the technical and teaching advantages and disadvantages of each?

3) What are some interesting and useful ways polling software can be used with adult learners, in the classroom or outside?

If you are -- if anyone is -- interested in joining a polling micro-group, e-mail me to let me know.

Now let's also hear from others.

• If you like Marian's idea, "hearing about the technology that teachers are using with students, how it's going, what works, and what work-arounds you find for things that don't work," then indicate that using the "like" button under her post.
  • What hopes do others  have for the Technology and Learning Community? 

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hi David, and all participants,

My - our interest is in making a giant leap in elearning: We are committed to creating online lessons built on a platform that individualizes which materials are presented, and uses all available "media" to teach. The idea being to help every individual to learn regardless of her/his Learning Style.

Any thoughts on: 1. Who else is working on this?  2. What Classroom Educator issues, problems, needs we need to solve?  3. Anybody who want to help?

We hope to use artificial intelligence and "big data" to create these elearning materials.

All help welcome.

Arthur

ESL@2learn-English.com

Hello Arthur,

Since your visual shows children, can you clarify if you are designing this for children, adults or both?

You refer to "individualizing which materials are presented". Does this mean you hope to design a database of learning resources and, based on a learner's identified (or assessed) learning preferences or learning styles, certain ones will be automatically selected for them, those that align with their preferences?

There may be some other ways in addition to learning styles to categorize learning resources; for example, for written materials the level of reading difficulty, and -- perhaps in a different realm of learning preferences -- if the learning resource is face-to-face or online. That's an important distinction for some adult learners, although I am seeing a lot more well integrated face-to-face and online learning in the classroom, and real-time interactive "faces" in online learning, so that distinction may be evaporating.

Some instructors -- not necessarily learners -- may be interested in how the learning resources relate to content standards, but this would be challenging to design if you want your platform to be used in every state. As one person who responded to someone demanding that we have educational standards put it, "There's no lack of education standards now; it's just that we can't agree on which set of standards to all use."

I wonder if you would like to share more information about how far along you are in designing your online learning platform, if that's how you would describe it.

Perhaps others here have questions and comments, too.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

David and All:  I have used Doodle polling for quick and easy polling.  We also have a subscription to Survey Monkey, but I believe that they have a free version that has less bells and whistles.    I'm curious to hear more about Kahoot and I've looked into Poll Everywhere.   I can see Poll Everywhere being used instead of "Clickers" for participants that have Smart Phone in a workshop.  I'm seeing more and more Smart Phone in the hands of teachers.  We also have Turning Point and have purchased clickers for participants to use during some of our PD activities.  "STAR" training likes using turning point devices in the professional development here in MA.  

Eunice Snay.  

Are you a teacher, tutor, program or state administrator, technology coordinator, professional developer, graduate student, college instructor or professor who may be teaching adult education teachers, librarian? Something else?

There's still time to post your hopes for the Technology and Learning Community. If you need some ideas to get started, look at the original post above. If you don't have much time, think about the one thing you most want to get from being a member of this community of practice, and tell us what that is. Although you still have a few more days to post, don't wait. Do it now while you are thinking about this.

I (we) want to hear from you!

Thanks.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hi, all. 

In addition to the wonderful suggestions already made, I'd like to see this space serving as a bridge between research and practice. I've been most drawn to read and check-in when there is an expert or panel led discussion. Reactions to shared reading could also be useful. I think the structure afforded in either case helps ground the discussion, and that we can then come from our own areas of interest, experience or expertise as we react, support, and discuss. 

I'm looking forward to reengaging with this community!  

Thanks,

Jen

Hi David,

I am delighted to see that you are the moderator of this group. I remember years ago when you were trying to convince adult educators to use a new tool called e-mail (I was one of the adult educators to participate in that training). It seems that ever since you have always been a wonderful innovator, communicator, and facilitator for the adult education community.

After spending years as a staff developer helping educators use technology as part of the educational experience, I now am directly working with adult learners. It has been a joy to experience first hand how a project-based approach can help empower learners and help them develop the confidence and analytical skills to use technology as a set of tools to help them reach their goals.I like to say that I use a "Project Runway" approach, since like that TV reality show I try to give students challenges, suggest some tools to use, and give them opportunities to be creative. I try to combine that with a no learner left behind priority which usually results in students helping students.

I appreciate reading about how adult educators are currently using technology in their practice and the impact that practice has had on participating adult learners. Since many of the adult learners I work with have limited financial resources, I am also interested in introducing them to some of the many free resources that can be accessed through technology.

But mostly, I am interested in listening to this ongoing conversation and learning from the other adult educators.participating in this discussion.

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Project-based learning using technology -- your "Project Runway" approach that gives students challenges, suggests some tools to use, and gives them opportunities to be creative -- is certainly a topic we can discuss here. Of course you can listen to the ongoing conversation here and learn from other adult educators, but you also have a great deal to contribute, too.  I look forward to hearing your voice here.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hi All:  When it comes to learning technology I know I learn best by doing.  So I really like the project based learning approach for teaching technology skills for teachers.   I also ask teachers if they can teach what they learned to  others they learn the technology tool best..  I also find that teaching technology skills needs to be relevant to what they need to know.  I know teacher that have family that move a distance from them they need to learn to Skype to stay connected.  Teachers also like to go away from a professional development opportunity with something in their toolbelt they can use right away and/or adapt for their own class teachers will put into practice what they learn better. Also by my modeling project based learning teachers can use project based learning with their students.  It also builds collaboration between students when are skills students needs in the real world of work and college. 

Eunice Snay

Distance Learning and Technology Support Manager for SABES in MA. 

Here’s an imaginary conversation to explain a little about "You have much to offer in a community of practice."

David: "You have much to offer in a community of practice" applies to everyone who has posted to this CoP, and to everyone who is "listening to the conversation" but hasn't contributed yet, or at least not often. A community of practice is not just about experts talking (although we will have some expert presentations and panels here.) It's much more about practitioners sharing their experience and thoughts and helping each other.

CoP Member Listening in: Helping each other how? 

David: Great question. I have some ideas, but more important, I want to hear from others here. For example, so far those who have posted have said they want to learn about:

• Free or inexpensive, "friendly" resources to engage students in online interactive tasks (e.g. fun, creative, cognitively challenging, low reading level activities that promote academic skill acquisition matched to real life interests or occupational goals)
  • The technology that teachers are using with students: how it's going, what works, what work-arounds they find for things that don't work, and and the impact that using those technologies has had on participating adult learners
  • Who might be working on a platform that individualizes which materials are presented, and uses all available "media" to teach, to help every individual to learn regardless of her/his learning style; what teacher issues, problems, it needs to solve; and if anyone wants to help 
  • Research (on technology use), and how it connects with instructional practice
  • Project-based learning and technology

Look at each of these topics and ask yourself: What questions do I have about this that I could contribute to the discussion? What do I know about this from my own practice? What have I read about -- or learned about from video or audio files or from conversations with colleagues -- that I could contribute to that discussion?

CoP Member Listening in: Wait, you mean I can participate by asking a question?

David: Yes, absolutely! Learning -- everyone's learning -- often begins with someone's questions.

CoP Member Listening in: Okay, but I'm not an expert. I'm just a (student, graduate student, teacher, volunteer tutor...). Do you really want to hear my questions? Do you really want my observations on what I see happening in the use of technology and learning?

David: Yes! This community of practice is for you, and as a learning community we need your participation. Although "listening in" to the conversation may be useful, to be really useful, try processing it. You can do that with reflection, action (trying something out, for example) and also, engaging in the dialogue here. We need to see responses from you like: What does that (buzz word, acronym, word in this context, concept, idea) mean? For example, Kenny Tamarkin used the term "project-based learning" If you don't know what that is, ask.  If you do know what it is, if you are excited or skeptical about it, explain why. If you want to learn more about Kenny's "Project Runway" concept, ask.

CoP Member Listening in: I just saw an interesting app or piece of software demonstrated. I am curious about it. I wonder if anyone else here has seen it. I wonder if anyone here is using it and what they think. Is that something I could ask about or talk about here?

David: Absolutely!

CoP Member Listening in: I just watched a fabulous TED-Ed: Lessons Worth Sharing talk about (Khan Academy, the Foldscope microscope, Bill Strickland's amazing work in Pittsburgh with vocational training and the arts, etc.) Can I talk about that here?

David: Certainly, and please tell us what the connection is to technology and learning.

CoP Member Listening in: Can I talk about challenges I face, and get ideas here from colleagues who may be facing, or who have solved, the same challenges? For example, I don't have any Internet access in my classroom. Is there some inexpensive way I can get that, even if its only for my own classroom?

David: Yes, and yes there is a way to solve that problem.

David: To everyone here:

What else would you like to get from participating in this CoP?

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Thanks for asking for our input, David.

I always appreciated the way NCSALL’s, Focus on Basics would balance research with practice.  As much I love sharing tech tools, I am most interested in hearing how teachers are using technology to advance learning. (Notice I did not say how the technology was advancing learning. I am not so sure believe students learn from technology per se. )  So I am not interested in how something works so much as how the teacher facilitates learning in the class and how the tools assist in that.  

So I am interested in reflecting on our practice and examining that in light of any related research.  

Thanks,

Steve Quann
Director, Educational Technology Center
World Education 

Hi, Everyone.  In the past 2.5 years, I've shifted my focus from U.S.-based adult literacy to literacy education for children, youth, and adults in low-income communities in countries served by the Peace Corps.  Though I understand that most of the participants in this COP have a US focus, David asked me to share what this list might provide for me and others working in non-US settings.  So here goes:  How can countries which have limited financial resources acquire and appropriately use technologies which: (a) are durable in hot, humid conditions where power surges are common; (b) come with (or can be equipped with) easy to use, relevant software that helps children, youth (teens and young adults), and adults develop various levels of relevant oral and written English skills, along with other basic skills (a la Equipped for the Future), content knowledge in other academic and life topics, and computer skills; and (c) can also help teachers develop English and technology skills and other content knowledge and technology skills, while enhancing their professional skills and acquiring meaningful teaching credentials?  And are there similar COPs out there that are helping people in "developing countries" share ideas and answer the above kinds of questions, while developing strategies for strengthening appropriate uses of technology for education and development?   I know that a lot of work has been done both in the US and in other countries around these issues and that the above questions are likely not to be the focus for many of the people in this COP.  But David asked, and I responded.

Steve and others,

I also hope that the Technology and Learning CoP will have "how teachers are using technology" as a major theme.

The COABE 2015 annual conference is coming up in a few weeks. I would like to ask those who will be attending technology-related sessions there to look at them through this lens: "How are these teachers using technology?" Please take notes, and post a write-up to ththe Technology and Learning CoP. If it is helpful, here's a simple note-taking format:

Name of teacher, administrator  and program described

Name of conference session

Contact information of presenter and/or teacher

Name of technology used (hardware, software, app)

Students with whom the technology is used (ESL/ESOL, ABE. ASE, Transition to higher ed, other; level -- beginner, intermediated, advanced; experience using technology -- advanced, intermediate, beginner, mixed)

How the teacher(s) use(s) the technology

Reflection: (Why is this interesting or innovative? What are the challenges? What are the opportunities?)

If you want to use this format, you can also find it in my Dropboxat https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6715575/How%20Teachers%20are%20Using%20Technology_COABE_2015.docx , for short, http://tinyurl.com/ljlzlxe .

You may print and share copies of it as you wish.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hi David, and others! Congratulations on the Moderator position! I have always loved being a part of the LINCS discussions, but must admit that I have not been able to take advantage of the awesome discussions that happen on this thread. It seems that even with the Daily Digest, I get to the end of my day and just have to close the email. I WISH there was a way that we could follow, maybe just ONE or TWO THREADs... In my new position, we are currently working on gaining as much knowledge as we can on alternate tech tools for the classroom or a particular technology and learning aspect... and with our new grant, we're busy just meeting our deliverables.

As a professional developer, I rarely get my own time to continue my own learning, so I depend on my Twitter friends and this group to keep me updated with the latest tools and resources. And I have been known to share a few things that we've been doing in Texas too, lol!

I LOVE the webinars, because I can block out one hour of my day to participate. Glenda and I are looking in to creating "Tech Thursdays" where will set aside an hour every Thursday and conduct a webinar for our teachers on a new tech tool. Nothing fancy, just a quick introduction and explanation of an app, or website or whatever.

Thanks for asking our thoughts, David. I really feel this group has been very helpful for my own development and I look forward this new year on LINCS.

Best,

Deb

Hi David and all-

It's wonderful to 'see' former and new colleagues in practice here, and read all the thought-provoking posts.

As others have expressed, I also appreciate your asking for topics we're interested in. Since distance/hybrid ESOL is what I'm involved in these days, that's my area of interest -- tools, approaches, materials, &tc.