COABE 2015 Presentations

Technology and Learning Colleagues,

If you are presenting a technology-related workshop at COABE 2015, please reply to this post and let us know the title, day and time, and describe it. If you will have digital handouts or slideshows, and these are publicly available, please include the URLs. I hope this will be a whole thread on some of the great technology - and learning - related COABE sessions.

David J. Rosen

Technology and Learning CoP Moderator

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

Hi David,

As requested:

As part of the LINCS Strand at COABE 2015, I will be co-presenting, Reboot Your Digital Strategy!

In this workshop, learn how your program and students can take advantage of national developments in digital literacy and access. Representatives from BoulderReads from the Boulder Public Library, EveryoneOn, and LINCS will demo helpful resources, websites, and tools to get your teachers, tutors, and students "connected." Bring your own device (BYOD) to get a hands-on experience.

Wednesday, 4/22 2:00pm-3:15pm

L3 Centennial Ballroom H

I will paste, below, links from our handout. We will be covering as select number in depth.

Hope to see you there!

Steve Quann
Instructional Technologist
LINCS Region 1 Professional Development Center

Websites and Resources

Links to Websites

Resources

Using Technology to Support At-Risk Students’ Learning, SCOPE and Alliance for Excellent Education (2014)
https://edpolicy.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/scope-pub-using-technology-report.pdf

Thanks, Deb. However, most of the presentation and resources are from the work of Heidi Silver-Pacuilla, from OCTAE and Sandra Toro, from IMLS. We'll just be giving participants a chance to dig a little deeper. 

I'm presenting Teaching in a Digital Context on THURSDAY, 10:45am-12:00pm, L3 Mineral Hall A

As more and more people are becoming accustomed to being online with Social Media, incorporating digital resources into our classrooms is becoming imperative. The class doesn't have to end when the bell rings. This session will introduce various tools that teachers can use to engage their students with out-of-class digital activities to enhance and expedite learning.

Still gathering my materials and will share resources electronically. I DO know that I'm NOT in the computer lab.. so if you plan on attending, please bring your mobile device so you can interact with the content of the workshop. 

:-)

Let's continue to hear from others who are presenting on technology at COABE 2015

I am doing three presentations at COABE 2015. Two are on using technology for learning. I am looking for a volunteer to use my iPhone camera to video either or both of these sessions. This is an experiment, so the video may or may not be available afterwards. We'll see. If it is, I will certainly let you know. If you are interested in trying your hand at video recording this session, please email me.

1. Blended Learning

Lead Presenter: David Rosen, Newsome Associates, Carmine Stewart, Essential Education  Friday, 4/24 10:45am-12:00pm, L3 Centennial Ballroom H

We will look at models that integrate face-to-face and online learning, and discuss the opportunities and challenges involved with implementing them. We will be presenting -- and making available -- a new guide to blended learning that I have written for adult education teachers.

2. Teaching Science Using Online Videos and Flipped Learning

Lead Presenter: David Rosen, Newsome Associates Wednesday, 4/22 10:45am-12:00pm, L4 Capitol Ballroom 1

A national group of adult education science teachers has recently created a comprehensive list of free online science instruction videos suitable for adult learners and has reviewed some of the videos. We will look at these resources, evaluate science videos, and discuss them. Participants will get links to a comprehensive list of suitable science videos and a twenty-page list of adult education science teachers' reviews of some of the videos

David J. Rosen

Technology and Learning CoP Moderator

djrosen123@gmail.com

Thanks for the free advertising :-)

New Roots: A Hybrid Career-Readiness Program for Advance-Degreed ELLs
Wednesday, 4/22 10:45 am-12:00 pm
L3 Quartz A

Learn how one program uses BurlingtonEnglish, Schoology, small group Skype meetings, face-to-face workshops, and one-on-one career counseling to support immigrants with a college degree in STEM to get a job in their field within eight months. This is a pilot, and lessons learned will be shared.

Looking forward to seeing others'. 

Hi All,

I will be presenting two very fun sessions with tons of practical tips and tools...hope to see you all there!

1.  Rethinking Assessment: Digital Tools to Engage and Assess Students

Participants get hands-on experience, using five free, easy-to-use tools to formatively assess students. Engage students and gain rapid insight into comprehension and learning to inform data-driven decision making.

2.  It's Tech-Xtrodinary! 20 Tech Tools for the Adult ESL Classroom

In this session, participants will learn about 20 free and easy-to-use technologies that can be used to differentiate instruction and prepare ELLs for success in a connected global and digital society.

Becky Shiring

eslbecky3@gmail.com

Hi David and all - at COABE on Thursday, April 23, from 3:45–5:00 I'll be presenting: Evaluating the Flipped Approach: How Can It Work For My Learners? (session description below)

If you plan to attend - PLEASE complete the pre-work available here: https://flipping4literacy.wordpress.com/coabe-2015/
[Watch a 3 minute video, read the ideas on flipped learning posted to the LINCS CoP, and complete a 10 minute online survey.]

Description: This session consists of two thrusts: 1) an overview of the currently popular ‘flipped classroom’ approach, its research basis and possible applications to adult education instruction and 2) hands-on practice in a process for critically evaluating ‘new’ education practices and customizing them to meet learners needs/goals and learning situations. Using cooperative learning structures (Kagan, 2009) to guide interactive discussions and activities, participants will create an individualized plan for integrating or strengthening one or more key components of the flipped approach in their practice. Session is designed to assist participants in ‘gaining perspective’ on the importance of using research-based practices, tailoring instructional approaches, and being critical consumers of educational materials/programs/initiatives.

Here is another session that some of you may be interested in attending:

Title:Computer Familiarity and Knowledge Among Adults Who Have Difficulty Reading

Day/Time:Friday, 1:45-3 pm

Description: Are you familiar with the NorthStar Assessment Tool? In this presentation, we will be presenting results from about 100 adult learners who read at the 3.0-7.9 grade levels on a modified version of this digital literacy assessment tool. This is one of the studies that have been conducted under the umbrella of the Center for the Study of Adult Literacy. If you want to learn about or get an update on this Center, please come to our other session right after this one (3:15) in room L4 Capitol Ballroom 6

Hi all, I'm new to LINCS but a long-time adult educator in community and union-based programs with immigrant service workers. 

I look forward to meeting many of you next week. My presentation: MOBILE LEARNING: TEACH THROUGH INTERACTIVE TEXT & AUDIO MESSAGES is Wednesday 4/22 at 3:45PM-5:00PM, L3 QUARTZ. 

I'll be demonstrating Celled.org's interactive cellphone learning line technology that does not require the internet. Our partner in Texas, Community Action, and I will also share our success and findings to date in teaching basic ESL, Spanish Literacy, the 100 questions of the Citizenship exam and other basic & workplace skills to over 1,000 Spanish-speaking adults across the country.

You can try a quick demo of our technology by calling any cellphone (basic or smart) to: 213-223-7323. I'm always interested in new ideas for how we should be using the technology: for teaching, surveying, screening & referring to resources, etc.

A good quick overview of our work is given in this DIGITAL PROMISE article: http://www.digitalpromise.org/blog/entry/the-anatomy-of-a-solution-how-a-developer-and-a-cbo-are-making-a-difference

See you next week!
Alison

alison@celled.org

Hi Alison,

I'm looking forward to your session at COABE! I'll check out the link and your instructions to try the quick demo before I leave for Colorado!

My teaching in community centers has been the opposite --- very low tech --- but I'm looking forward to bring newfound knowledge to learners.

Maybe you'll come to the lunch on the 22nd that David Rosen has arranged?

Hope to see you in any case.

nan frydland