Reentry Education Grant Opportunity

Greetings all,

We've been very very busy at the Department of Education with work involving correctional education.  I've been wanting to post some information about some of this recent work, but have had difficulty finding a few minutes.  I hope no one will throw a stone at me if I take the easy way out and post a press release...  What shows below is a press release dated November 19th and posted to the Department of education's web site.  I think it pulls this information together pretty well, and includes some critical links.  So please forgive me for pasting this in rather than writing up new language on the same topic. 

We were very excited to release the publication on a Reentry Education Model.  Trying to implement this model is the central focus of this grant opportunity -- but we think the model has great potential to move correctional education forward apart from the very small grant program.  Kudos to our colleagues at MPR Associates and prime author Michelle Tolbert for this -- and to a really great list of "subject matter experts" who lent a hand conceptualizing and refining this model.

If you are learning about the grant program for the first time and are interested in making application -- two suggestions:  One, visit the web site "Grants.gov" to get practical information on how to apply.  Two, consider participating in an informational webinar for potential grant applicants on Monday, December 10th at 1 p.m. Eastern.  If you would like to join that webinar, please e mail me at john.linton@ed.gov and I'll respond with the log in information as soon as we have it available. 

By the way, would you believe that Secretary of Education Arnie Duncan is hosting a group of current and former correctional students in his conference room this afternoon -- offering them an opportunity to tell him how we can better support justice involved youth and adults?  Should be interesting!

John Linton

Nearly $1 Million Now Available to Support Partnerships Offering Education and Workforce Training for Incarcerated Individuals Exiting Prisons

Reentry Education Model Released as Framework for Improving Rehabilitation Programs

The U.S. Department of Education announced today a new, nearly $1 million grant fund titled, “Promoting Reentry Success through Continuity of Educational Opportunities” (PRSCEO), that will invest in innovative programs preparing incarcerated individuals to successfully reenter society with the support of education and workforce training. Eligible applicants include adult education providers partnering to connect education in state correctional facilities with local communities.

PRSCEO provides an important opportunity for applicants to create new approaches and improvements for existing rehabilitation services. Every year, more than 700,000 incarcerated individuals leave federal and state prisons. Yet, existing policies and programs too often fail to prepare released prisoners to reenter society, leading 4 of every 10 to commit new crimes or violate terms of their release within 3 years. Failure to support successful rehabilitation costs states more than $50 billion annually.

“Education is key to creating successful pathways toward prosperity and opportunity for children and adults,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. “Promoting effective policies that offer education and workforce training will protect our communities and benefit our economy.”

Based on a cooperative agreement, the one-time grant funding comes from a section of the Second Chance Act, administered by the Bureau of Justice Assistance, a component within the Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice.

“Expanding access to education is a proven strategy for reducing recidivism and preventing crime,” said Attorney General Eric Holder. “By working together to support education and training programs for those rejoining our communities, the Departments of Justice and Education are helping to improve outcomes and ensure public safety.”

The announcement was made today during a Department-hosted Correctional Education Summit that gathered outside experts engaged in developing innovations to improve educational opportunities for youth and adults in secure confinement facilities. In conjunction with the event, the Department released a new Reentry Education Model guidance document. Guidance outlined in the reentry model offers evidence-based improvements to support individuals leaving prison to successfully transition back into society through education and career advancement.

Suggested improvements include establishing an integrated reentry program that offers and incorporates education services, workforce training, and job search support during intake and prerelease processes and links education to employment services; targeting job support to labor market demands that do not have criminal history restrictions; using technology to increase program access and data to measure performance and outcomes; and conducting thorough program evaluations to further share lessons learned and best practices.   

Additional guidance on educational resources for incarcerated individuals reintegrating into society is available through the Department’s Office of Vocational and Adult Education’s Take Charge of Your Future. The guide was recently updated to offer advice and information that serves a broader population, members of the community corrections population – the nearly five million Americans on parole or probation -- as well as incarcerated individuals.

Applications will be accepted until December 26, 2012. The Department anticipates awarding 2 to 4 grants ranging from $200,000 to $400,000. Awards will be made in January 2013.

Comments

Hello Members.  This is follow up to John's PRSCEO post.  Just a bit more information about the Reentry Ed Model.  This is a wonderful opportunity!  I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on the Reentry Education Model as well as the PRSCEO opportunity. 

A Reentry Education Model: Supporting Education and Career Advancement for Low-Skill Individuals in Corrections

By: Michelle Tolbert, MPR Associates, Inc.

For: U.S. Department of Education, Office of Vocational and Adult Education

This report describes a model for developing an education continuum to bridge the gap between prison and community-based education and training programs. The goal of the model is to ensure that individuals in the corrections population can gain the knowledge and skills needed to obtain long-term, living-wage employment, and transition successfully out of the corrections system. It is based on a review of research studies and feedback from a panel of experts, including practitioners, administrators, and researchers in the fields of corrections and education. To view, download, and print the guide, go to http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/reentry-model.pdf.