Happy Financial Literacy Month!!!

#FinancialLiteracy Month starts today!  ProLiteracy has posted a wonderful calendar listed with activities to do each day during this month - and I will be posting fun activities, insights, articles, and etc. each day to help celebrate! 

This is a great month to share our teaching strategies, resources, and information for teaching financial literacy skills so please post to this discussion throughout the month - what is one activity, website, or lesson that you use or have used to help promote financial literacy!

Brooke
istasb@cowley.edu

Comments

The Girl Scout Research Institute has linked a video series, "It's Your Business - Run it!"  These videos feature female entrepreneurs say that learning how to manage money is the thing that allows them to run successful businesses and have the career of their dreams.  They all had to start with the basics of how to make a budget and manage credit.  There is so much to learn! Check out the other video for helpful advice - could this be a resource in your classroom?

Brooke
istasb@cowley.edu

How many of our learners realize that they are at risk for Identity Theft?  Do they know what it means to have their identity stolen?  During #FinancialLiteracyMonth, why not take some time to help learners understand and avoid this crime?  Phroogal is a website that has great information about protecting your identity as well as other wonderful resources for other topic in financial education.  Be sure to let me know how you are celebrating #FinancialLiteracyMonth.

Brooke Istas
istasb@cowley.edu

Have you done your taxes yet?  This is another great area to help your learners understand #FinancialLiteracyMonth.  Here is a link to NINE Tax Deductions you might no know about:  http://www.iamempowered.com/article/2015/04/01/nine-tax-deductions-you-might-not-know-about

Remember if you use any of these ideas in the classroom please let me know.  Send me a note at istasb@cowley.edu or post it here!  Let's share how we are celebrating #FinancialLiteracyMonth!

Brooke

This is a good month to educate your learners about creating an Emergency Financial Kit.  The website, which is a partnership of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is full of helpful checklists to help anyone be prepared.  There is an English, Spanish, and Reader enabled version of the Emergency Financial First Aid Kit (EFFAK) available, too.  Check out the site and be sure to celebrate #FinancialLiteracyMonth!  Remember, to post what you are doing in the classroom or you can email me at istasb@cowley.edu

Brooke 

Site:  http://www.ready.gov/financial-preparedness

Did you know there are all kinds of resources available to you for *FREE* in the LINCS Resource Collection that have been vetted by experts in the field? I would like to highlight one resource for #FinancialLiteracyMonth entitled, "Smalls Steps to Health and Wealth"  This resource focuses both on Health and Wealth. Let me know what you think of it.

Brooke
istasb@cowley.edu

Happy #FinancialLiteracyMonth - today I came across this short article about Your Financial Personality:  Penny Pincher, Savvy Spender, or Overspender.  Do you know your personality?  

Remember, if you have comments about any of the items I am posting to the Community of Practice please either post me your feedback or email me - I would love to hear from you.

Brooke
istasb@cowley.edu