COABE 2015 Presentations

Math and Numeracy Colleagues,

If you are presenting a math and numeracy related  workshop at COABE 2015, please reply to this post and let us know the title, day and time, and describe it.  If you have resources (handouts, slideshows, etc.) that are publicly available, please include URLs.  I hope this will be a whole thread on some of the great instructional resources so that we can share with both those attending and not attending this years event. 

Brooke Istas
istasb@cowley.edu

Comments

Greetings everyone!

I am presenting at COABE this year on Friday at 1:45pm in L3 Mineral Hall B. The title of my presentation is "Why Before How" based on the (excellent) book by Jana Hazekamp of the same name. The focus of the session is using Singapore Math instructional strategies to help students build conceptual understanding of their math before showing them shortcuts/formulas/algorithms. I can't wait to do this one!! :)

I'll be presenting Conceptual Understanding of the Order of Operations on Thursday from 10:45 - 12:00 in L3 Mineral Hall D.  Making a shift to more rigorous instruction means conceptual understanding and application in real-world contexts have importance equal to procedural skill and fluency.  With that in mind, we’ll look at a sample unit unit that digs deep into the reasons behind what we think of as “the rules” for order in expressions.  The unit includes six lessons that can be used to bring CCR Level B – D students to a higher level. 

To access the unit, go to EQuIP’s site, scroll to and click the Exemplars tab, then scroll (and scroll some more) all the way to the bottom for Deepening Understanding of the Order of Operations.

If you’re coming to COABE, come check out the ANN Preconference as well! 

Hello All,

I will be presenting two sessions at COABE and would love to see you there!

Conceptual Understanding: How to identify core concepts of math skills 4.22 2:00-3:15 in the L3 Centennial Ballroom F. This session is meant to help teachers who would like to have the balance of teaching both procedures and concepts, but are quite sure what the concepts of the procedures are.

Shifting from Mathematical Worksheets to Meaningful Tasks 4.24 9:15 - 10:30 in the L3 Centennial Ballroom F. This sessions title says it all :-) We will discuss how to begin to take a worksheet and modify it into a meaningful engaging task.

Best,

Cynthia

I am presenting " Number Lines! A Hands-on Workshop for Using Number Lines from Arithmetic to Algebraic Thinking", on Wednesday | 10:45 am – 12:00 pm, Room: L4 Capitol Ballroom 3.  "... In this session we will start at the beginning—the number line. As we examine the number line, we will investigate the ageold question: Why is a negative times a negative a positive? We will explore basic operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide) and continue on to solve simple algebraic equations."

I look forward to seeing many excellent numeracy sessions! 
See you next week!

Rebecca