Welcome and Introduction to the new Disabilities in Adult Education group

Hi to all,

Welcome to the new Disabilities in Adult Education group!  I will be your Subject Matter Expert for this group. You can find out more about me by clicking on my picture and looking under 'profile.'

Please review the Code of Conduct for this new community before beginning.  It can be found in the blue section at the bottom of each page, and is marked "User Code of Conduct."

Next, please respond to this discussion strand by introducing yourself.  Tell us what your objectives/interests are for joining this specific group.

I look forward to having informative discussions in our online community.

Rochelle Kenyon, Subject Matter Expert (SME)

Comments

Hello all,

My name is Shelly. I am an instructor at the New Prospect Learning Lab. I taught in the Detroit Public Schools for several years.  I mainly worked with children with special needs.  I am a native Detroiter. I attended a small catholic girl's high school and graduated from Michigan State University.  I am married and have 4 children of whom I am very proud!  My oldest daughter graduated from Cass Tech and Clark/Atlanta University!  My eldest son graduated from Cass Tech and will graduate from Ball State University May 2013!! My younger daughter will graduate from Cass Tech in June 2013 and has been accepted to several colleges!! She has yet to make a final choice.  My youngest son is an honor student at Bates Academy for the Gifted and Talented!!

Rochelle,

Nice to meet up again. I am Juliana Taymans. I am a professor of special education at George Washington University in Washington DC. I am active in correctional education and have also contributed to the professional development program Learning to Achieve.  I think it is a good idea to expand this group's discussion beyond learning disabilities.

Many experiments ar posibl to see what can aid pepl with disabilities to read.

Think of some yourself.

Try adding 'cribs' to reading material:

EXPERIMENT with parallel texts for books for disadvantaged readers.

Here is an exampl. One side of each page in a reading book is normal spelling; the other side is a ‘crib’ in ‘spelling without traps’ which helps to read present spelling. If the ‘spelling traps’ ar markd, then the weak reader knows that the rest of the text is without traps.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ozideas/litreadingcribs.html

This exampl uses a Dictionary Pronunciation Gide based on the BBC Text Pronunciation Guide. 36 very common irregularly-spelled words are learnt by rote that make up 12% of everyday text. Apart from these, only 6% of surplus letters in words need be cut, and 3% of misleading letters changed, in everyday text.  Not a lot, but what a difference changing them makes to poor readers.

Only one or 2 choices to be made with each grafeme - not up to 12.

Experiment with parallel texts for books for disadvantaged pairents to read to their children. 

Use this section to enter yr experiences trying this method - or giv reasons why u do not try.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Philip and being that it is that time of the year i just wanted to everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

I work in the greater Detroit area, where we meet students who need a different approach to learning, and my hope and goal is to learn all the different approaches or styles to help students who may or may not have a learning disability. I believe this will be the best place to gain and share the knowledge we all need in this field.