Online English Language Resources for Adult Learners

Did you know that LINCS currently provides resources for adult learners in the form of America’s Literacy Directory? What other resources do adult learners need in order further their own education and training in the area of English language acquisition? For example, do your learners use online vocabulary tutorials? Can you recommend other online resources that learners can use?

Comments

I like using the following website http://lextutor.ca/conc/eng/ It's a concordancer for students to use. I like to use it when we're studying idioms, expressions, and collocations. It provides numerous examples of these items from various printed materials.

Jared, Thanks for sharing this resource. It's a great site for teachers to draw upon when planning vocabulary lessons since we want to be sure the examples we share with students are authentic and commonly used.

Could you tell us more about how the adult learners you work with are using this tool?

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, Adult English Language Learners Community

Thanks for getting this started, Jessie. I know the members of our community have their favorite websites, and I'm looking forward to learning about some new ones.

One site that we learned about a few years ago from our students --because they love it!-- is Learn American English Online. Teacher Paul, who I believe is from Minnesota, has created dozens of leveled video lessons on a wide range of topics in English. Many of the video lessons also include practice exercises.

We always include this site on the list of recommended websites for learning English outside of class.

Let's hear from others about favorite web resources to use in teaching and/or to recommend to adult English learners for independent study.

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, AELL Community of Practice