Math instruction and assessment in ESOL

I would like to ask if anyone is assessing math at all levels in ESOL using CASAS?  If so, what results have you had?

Thank you,

Sandra Fugate

ESOL Program Coordinator

Comments

Hello Sandra, You raise an important question. The shifts we are experiencing in our field require that adult education programs ensure that students are --in addition to language skills-- also prepared with the math skills required in the workplace and/or for training and further education. It would be great to hear from members on this issue.

I'm looking forward to learning more about this topic from those who are addressing math in their programs.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Our program has hundreds of students and so we are able to offer stand alone ELL Math courses. We have three levels: (1) whole numbers computation, calendars, time,  basic measurement of length, and more; (2) computation of whole numbers, number sense for fractions and decimals, and capacity measurement, and more; and (3) computation with decimals, fractions, percents and also graphs/charts and intro to algebra basics. We do use the CASAS for our levels 1 and 2 but switch to TABE for Level 3 Math.

Here is a link to better descriptions of our courses:

http://abe.mpls.k12.mn.us/math_ell_abe.html

Danielle Legault

Hi Danielle, Thanks for posting about how you are addressing math with language learners in your large ESL program. Could you say a word about how math for ELLs is different compared to math for those who already use English fluently?

Colleagues, who else is addressing math in ESL? What questions do you have for Danielle?

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, AELL CoP

I teach Level 1 and I include check-writing.  After identifying the parts of a check, we use newspaper ads to write up an order. It is easier the first time if the class uses the same ad.  They can spend up to $40 (including  tax) for the first practice.   In the next session, students are allowed to select any ad that interests them from the  newspaper, must spend over $100, and write out the check..  For the third practice, we use a utility bill to write a check. I have considered using a check register book sample page as a culminating activity (using their 3 checks), but there is only so much time in our 6-week session. Note:  We receive free local newspapers.

Hello Rosemary and all,  Thank you for sharing your lesson ideas for focusing on math with English learners, Rosemary. You are using authentic materials such as newspaper ads (how great that you get the newspaper for free) and offering students choices for their "spending." I can imagine individuals might decide to "buy" a quantity of a certain item which could involve multiplying decimals. Including the check register activity would involve subtracting with decimals, which is a skill teachers may want to cover in a unit like this.

Rosemary and others, how do you address teaching the English vocabulary of math when math is the focus of a lesson? Let's hear from other teachers who are focusing on math with language learners.

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, AELL CoP

All adult learners (including English learners) will benefit from vocabulary support when learning new math concepts--it is essential that learners are able to make the math their own by fluently using the academic language appropriate to their level.  Practicing using academic math vocabulary when talking to each other and when communicating with the teacher (via discussion, tests, and assignments) will be helpful.  I have been discussing this with colleagues recently--some examples of ways to support this vocabulary use are word walls, sentence frames, or matching games. 

Additionally, I have learned that when working with English learners and math, it is important to keep an eye out for cultural vocabulary words in word problems.  The example that I'm thinking of is the context of s'mores at a campfire.  Though the math may make sense to a learner, the vocabulary about the context may be unfamiliar.

Hi Amy, Thank you for your post! You bring up a good point about cultural vocabulary in teaching materials. As you point out, English learners are unlikely to understand s'mores, although we could certainly introduce -- a version of s'mores --sans the campfire-- to the class! Yum!

Amy, would you be willing to elaborate a bit on your message with a concrete example or two from your practice?  I'm wondering how do you decide what words to include on word walls or matching activities.  What sentence frames might you provide to students and for what purpose?

Looking forward to learning more!

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, AELL CoP